LGA 1151 cooler recommendation

Xrave

Supreme [H]ardness
Looking to get a 6600 and was thinking to get my first foray into water cooling by doing one of the self contained coolers, like the Corsair H60 or H55.

Is there a good recommendation for a similar price point ($75ish) if not the H60/55?

I'm assuming these starter, self contained coolers are a step above air cooling in both thermal dissipation and noise?

There is no comparison between AIOs and custom watercooling. AIOs are best compared to heatpipe tower coolers in both usage and performance. The H60 level AIOs in particular are easily outperformed by high end air. You would have to get to the H100 level to match high end air and H110 to surpass it. The H60 is about comparable to the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo in performance, if I recall correctly.

So basically not worth it? Even from acoustic standpoint?

From a purely noise to performance ratio standpoint, AIOs are worse than equivalently priced tower coolers. AIOs have the advantage in being able to use very large radiators ($$$), and scaling better with high speed fans (more noise, generally above 2000 RPM for there to be a difference).

Thanks for the advice.

You mentioned this cooler, which is nice for the price, but I was willing to spend up to $60 on the AIO. Although this is the water cooling sub forum do you have a tower air cooler recommendation? I prefer to prioritize lower noise.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
From a purely noise to performance ratio standpoint, AIOs are worse than equivalently priced tower coolers.

Exactly this. I have had higher end AIO's from pretty much every major vendor. I always had increased levels of noise both mechanical and fan noise. Maybe I am picky, but I went back to a high dual 140mm air tower cooler Phantek. And its nearly silent at full load.

NH-D14 if you can stretch to $73. Phanteks PH-TC14PE for $65 after $10 rebate, to name a few.

Back