LG32LD450 x Mac Mini 2011

hboogz

n00b
I have a 32LD450 "w" (S-IPS) series TV/Monitor. I currently have a HDM > DVI connection to a Geoforce 6200 (old rig) Windows XP box. Spent hours on www.avsforum.com and finally got that up and running with near perfect (for me) image and text quality.

I just got the new mac mini ( i5 2.3, Intel GPU), plugged it in HDMI > HDMI using HDMI2 on the LG and the display works! It shows up as 1080p, 60Mhz and with a little underscanning adjustment, the screen size fits perfectly. Images are crystal clear, but text is bad....really blurry.

What can i do to get the text just as clear if not clearer?

BTW, I know LG released new firmware for this tv and plan on flashing soon. In the interim i'm hoping the collective could provide some helpful insight.

Cheers,

H

Check out Ruahrc's posts starting from here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038100627#post1038100627

He's using a Macbook Pro + LG TV and apparently he solved his problem by using a miniDP to DVI converter, then connected it to a dvi-to-hdmi cable. This forces the TV to see it as a DVI device, and sometimes that is all that is needed for sharp text and sharp 4:4:4 colored text. Not sure why DVI has that natural advantage, but additional tweaks are needed sometimes, it depends.

I would also post in the LD450, or even the LK450 owner's threads, to see what they have to say. You can also try using the in-thread-search feature while waiting on replies there.

Thanks for the reply and links Jetski. Unfortunately, the latter models of the mac mini no longer come with a MiniDP connection. Instead they come with Thunderbolt. I presume i should look up if there is a thunderbolt to DVI ? The mac mini did come with a HDMI > DVI adapter, so i maybe i can get an hdmi to DVI male adapter to make that connection?

I posted in the XX450 forum and just recently got a response. As per the reply, i'm going to try and shut down the edge enhancer from switching the input lable from PC. Also, adjust my H/V sharpness.

I did play with my settings on Expert last night and got much better results. The text is still slightly off, so i'll play with the suggestions and report back.

But i'm guessing either a TB to DVI -- HDMI > DVI or a HDMI > DVI -- DVI > HDMI adapter setup might prove the best results.

Yea i don't think an hdmi-to-dvi-to-hdmi setup will work the way you're expecting, the thunderbolt adapter would have the better chance of success in mimicking a DVI port.

Back