LG246WP-BN -- Just terrible.. terrible (Owners please help)

thatbiggbadwolfy

Limp Gawd
I know there's a 60 page thread on this monitor. It just arrived today. The box was beat up but that was FedEx's problem.

I plugged the monitor to my PS3 via HDMI ... lo and behold, I see a picture, then POWER SAVE MODE. What the HELL is Power Save Mode? My screen blanks out? Ok, so I take out the power plug, then I plug it back in. Now I can see my screen.

I try to play a bluray, NOTHING, POWER SAVE MODE again.

The picture quality is horrendous--grainy and hazy, unlike my BenQ FP222WH that does HDMI ... and doesn't Power Save every time.

I'm sorry I'm just angry that I paid $525 waited 2 weeks for this arrive... and I can't even see video without Power Saving in 5 minutes. I bought this from COMPUSA. I am going to return this if there is no way to fix this bug.

I hope I don't have to disconnect the power each and every time I want to watch something.

Please LG owners, let me know if there's anything I can do about this. I hate this power saving mode... why do we even need a power saving mode???

I can't access the menu, all I can do is select the Input.

Is there a way you know how to?

Sorry I'm just really frustrated ... having read so many good things about this monitor, and just having LG decide to power save

try to plugg it to your pc then access the menu and turn the PS off.
better to use it with your pc first to check it.mabe there's a fault in your lcd

sorry,i don't have this lcd yet.but planning in the near future :)

I don't see an option to disable power saving ... there was HDMI -> VIDEO or PC ... so I put it on Video and switched back to the PS3. Now the monitor is getting confused between power saving or not power saving... wtf

sigh

hmm ok, well I did these settings on my PS3 to make it more compatible:

BD DVD Video Output Format: Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr instead of "Automatic"
BD 1080p 24 hz Output (HDMI) turned this to "Automatic" instead of "ON"

I guess movies now play... I guess the quality isn't that great, but I guess now I can see a picture... will update later

thanks for the tip!

it seems that "VIDEO" turns off the power save

I think all LCDs have Power Saving option...
anyway,,,
hope some LG owners can help you soon.

Have you considered that you might have a damaged or otherwise bad unit?

Ugh, this monitor pulled the same thing on me at first. I don't know what I did to make it work, but I remember hitting the source button a lot of times until it finally took. Jiggled my cables too, in case they were loose.

I would suggest getting it work on a PC first, probably over VGA. Once it does, it turns out to be a very, very nice monitor.

Hey guys a quick update: Oh and nope, the monitor wasn't damaged. It performs perfectly in Windows and the color is impeccable. But it still does the weird thing with a PS3. I guess what I have to do is:

1. Power down PS3
2. Turn off LG Monitor
3. Then turn it back on
4. Turn on PS3 and pray

LG responded to my question:

-----------Reply to Customer Enquiry------------
Dear --------,

We are delighted to hear from you as our Valued Customer.

We appreciate your interest in our products. The reason for this problem that you
have experienced is most likely due to the refresh rates of the screen, compared to
the output of your game system. Over HDMI, your PS3 seems to be sending out your
1080i and 1080p resolutions at around 60 frames per second (60Hz). Your monitor
refreshes its screen in 8ms seconds time, between 56 and 75 kHz.

The difference is that your game system is designed for the slower response time of
a standard television HDMI port, rather than that of a computer monitor. To test
this, you may wish to connect this monitor to a regular computer, verify the
resolution settings, and see if the same problem occurs.

We regret that you have experienced this problem with your monitor. Our computer
monitors do not appear to be fully compatible with game systems such as this.

If you have other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again
either via email, or by calling our customer service division at 800-243-0000 at
your convenience.

Mr. Neil
Electronic Correspondence Executive (ECE)
LG Electronics USA
800-243-0000

-----------Original Customer Enquiry------------
Received Date : 9/19/2007 14:32:39
The type of inquiry : Customer Service
Product/Model No. : Monitor/LG 246WP

Dear LG:

I bought your newest LG 246WP BN monitor, and connected my Playstation 3 via HDMI
in. It is disappointing for me to say, this is a useless product because every time
I power the monitor on, I see my display for 10 seconds before the monitor decides
to go into "Power Saving Mode." I have heard about this bug on forums but people
said it was solved. I cannot view a picture after spending $600 USD. Is there any
solution for this? If not, I am going to return this product immediately to CompUSA.

Thank you for much.

Sincerely,
--------

I have the monitor, and when I hooked up a PS3 to it via HDMI there were no issues at all.
It was my friends PS3, so i can't look up settings for you b/c I don't have it here.
We watched a BD movie and played some games, both looked impeccable.

I'd set most of the PS3 HDMI options to auto, besides 1080P, if that's an option.
You definitely don't want 24Hz BD on, this monitor definitely can't support that. (only a few HDTV's can right now)

I have a feeling that whatever signal your PS3 is sending your monitor, the monitor isn't happy with, so it's going back into power save mode.

My monitor never went into power save mode once while the PS3 was plugged into it, and I didn't do anything fancy in the menu or anything, just plug and go.

Edit:
I realize there wasn't much help offered in my post, but in the very least, if you check your PS3 settings to no avail, it should motivate you to return it and try again.
Do you live too far away from CompUSA to drive there and return/exchange in person?

Back