LG W2220P

Thanks, it doesn't look that high on the video (on lowest setting), compared to other non height adjustable monitors, but it may be different in real life...
Now I only wonder if it is good for Xbox360/PS3 or not, and about the handling of an 1080p signal over HDMI... if it is good i would buy it, probably.

Last edited:
Also.. should I consider buying a Samsung XL2370 which has LED as backlight? Or is IPS better in every aspect? Won't it be bad to browse the web/play/watch movies at night for my eyes? I read some users said it is too bright... are IPS monitors brighter than a TN? (also I read LED should be better for the eyes in theory, but that no one knows sure for real..), i use the monitor much hours a day, so eyestrain would be an important factor too... though I don't have much problems with my current Samsung, 24", which has a TN panel.

Also.. should I consider buying a Samsung XL2370 which has LED as backlight? Or is IPS better in every aspect?

LED backlight ads better ergonomics (thinner), lower power consumption, a longer life and probably better uniformity but doesn't improve the image as marketing says, that's just BS marketing for the general public (those don't get informed when making a purchase). On the other hand, there are to types of LED and LED RGB does improve the quality but that's expensive, you'll only see that on 1600 $ + monitors...

That depends, if you're one of those people that use their gadgets at factory settings, then guess this is not for you. With default driver it's to dark and that could tire your eyes in long use (harder to concentrate), unless you know somebody that can set it....

That depends, if you're one of those people that use their gadgets at factory settings, then guess this is not for you. With default driver it's to dark and that could tire your eyes in long use (harder to concentrate), unless you know somebody that can set it....

Well, I always set my monitors for myself (not with a calibrator...) only brightness/contrast which looks comfortably for my eyes, and has a good picture quality, for example I used my Samsung 225MW around 40 brightness, and 80 contrast, and now I use my 2494HS with 45 brightness, 65 contrast, I usually like the default color settings, so I don't touch that... they are both TN's. Is it harder to set correct brightness on this LG like usually on a TN monitor?

I never had an IPS before, but it sounds much better based on what i've read, they don't interpolate 3x6 bits, like TNs, and if I'm right this should mean nicer whites/black, maybe better details? (TN's also look a little bad on a full white screen, like white vibrates a little, i heard that's because the 3x6+FRC interpolation). Better whites/black and general image quality would mean a lot to me, also it should tire the eyes less, probably...

and if I'm right this should mean nicer whites/black, maybe better details?

...actually, it means better colors, since it doesn't skip turns like TN's and the White is "White". On the other hand, the black levels could be better (like on S-PVA panels) since IPS black has a glow (specific to IPS technology) and you can't get deep blacks. Usually black is black (like for example, the black on this forum)... but on night scenes from movies, where there are more black levels you, the black is displayed like back-light bleeding. Most get used to that and take the other advantages as their primary interests (like better colors, lack of ghosting, no input lag, better viewing angles and so on) but I owned a good P-MVA panel in the last 2 years and before that a CRT so for me it's not the same. Yet in your case, moving from crappy TN panels to IPS - that should be a huge difference in the right direction. I honestly can't understand how some people can get used with TN's, when they invested in high-end video-cards saying they aim for best quality...

Here's a decent compassion video between IPS and TN - yet as mention above, he kinda forget to mention about IPS blacks (most do - unles they owned a S-PVA/P-MVA before, which is even better then CRT when it comes to black levels).

Here's a decent compassion video between IPS and TN - yet as mention above, he kinda forget to mention about IPS blacks (most do - unles they owned a S-PVA/P-MVA before, which is even better then CRT when it comes to black levels).

Well, the Dell U2410 looks clearly superior on that video, the only one picture where the samsung looks better is when the girl's hair looks lost on the background with the Dell...
but I don't know how it looks like in real life, a video is always a little different.
Generally, black details like this are a little worse compared to a TN? Isn't that bad when watching a dark movie or playing with a darker game? This is my only concern now, IPS looks better in every other aspect. (Hopefully this LG's picture quality isn't much worse than the Dell in the video!) But i watch movies and play with dark games, and at night time too... so i'd be probably disappointed if it is much worse (compared to my TN, of course, not to a s-PVA/P-MVA)
BTW based on these things whites aren't "whites" on a LED monitor either? Marketing (and some people) says it is much better, nicer black and whites compared to a normal TN, but it is still a TN so based on this it can't be as good as an IPS (at least in white, i don't know about blacks...)

Games look great cause you don't loose details in the dark and all colors are as clean as with a CRT. As for movies, imagine a full dark scene where all you see is the shadow of the ninja... the darkness around him has a blueish tint, instead of reddish as displayed on a CRT. As for TN's, most I've seen look even worst and even they display a blueish black, but also a bluish white...

I don't see how it could disappoint you in games, cause the deep black I'm referring, is related to a scene of few seconds, max a minute or two from a movie. If it was more, that could lead to eye strain... Doom 3 is the darkness game I ever seen, yet it looks great on a IPS, definitely better then any TN cause it doesn't loose any details. Yet the one I tried back then, even with his great detail had huge input lag wile this is lag free.

Games look great cause you don't loose details in the dark and all colors are as clean as with a CRT. As for movies, imagine a full dark scene where all you see is the shadow of the ninja... the darkness around him has a blueish tint, instead of reddish as displayed on a CRT. As for TN's, most I've seen look even worst and even they display a blueish black, but also a bluish white...

I don't see how it could disappoint you in games, cause the deep black I'm referring, is related to a scene of few seconds, max a minute or two from a movie. If it was more, that could lead to eye strain... Doom 3 is the darkness game I ever seen, yet it looks great on a IPS, definitely better then any TN cause it doesn't loose any details. Yet the one I tried back then, even with his great detail had huge input lag wile this is lag free.

Hmm, thanks, dark games looks shit on my 24" TN, especially when i sit back on my chair... because of the viewing angle, also daytime is the worst, at night it looks better... some movies aren't the best either...
I'm almost sure that I'll buy this LG, now my only concern is that you mentioned that it is too dark at default, if i set the brightness/contrast will it look good? or is it "harder"? /sorry, never had an experience with non-TN /

Also if someone could answer that how good is the monitor with HDMI input, are there different setting in the menus? 16:9 aspect ratio support for example, to watch blu-ray/play console, etc, it would be great... (maybe "hdmi black levels", or "av mode"-like settings, like in samsung monitors, though these aren't that important)

concern is that you mentioned that it is too dark at default, if i set the brightness/contrast will it look good? or is it "harder"? /sorry, never had an experience with non-TN /

Don't know what OS you're using, but Windows Vista/7 has a feature called "Color Management"... I installed the original driver from LG CD and since it was to dark, from that feature I removed the Color Profile and added the one from Dell 2209WA - which is to bright, so I set the Brightness to 0 and Contrast to 70 and colors as Demian recommended and looks great, more natural:

R: 50
G: 51
B: 40

This Model also has 5 modes: Movie, Text, Photo, User and sRGB which have different calibrations based on the color profile from Driver, but they're not for my taste, yet maybe others can be satisfied with them.

Don't know what OS you're using, but Windows Vista/7 has a feature called "Color Management"... I installed the original driver from LG CD and since it was to dark, from that feature I removed the Color Profile and added the one from Dell 2209WA - which is to bright, so I set the Brightness to 0 and Contrast to 70 and colors as Demian recommended and looks great, more natural:

R: 50
G: 51
B: 40

This Model also has 5 modes: Movie, Text, Photo, User and sRGB which have different calibrations based on the color profile from Driver, but they're not for my taste, yet maybe others can be satisfied with them.

I see, thanks! What if you don't install a color profile? I remember I installed one time the one there was for my samsung TN, but haven't seen any difference, now i just use the default windows profile, is it better to install it? I'll try this settings if I have the monitor:)

I see, thanks! What if you don't install a color profile? I remember I installed one time the one there was for my samsung TN, but haven't seen any difference, now i just use the default windows profile, is it better to install it? I'll try this settings if I have the monitor:)

It needs a Wide Gamut, and Dell having the same Panel offers a similar profile, yet calibrated in a different way. The profile from the LG CD is made to work with those Modes, but I don't like it and don't like the idea of using predefined modes (as in Movies, text and so on) since those or just general ones and I have different tastes/expectations. As for Windows default profiles, the ones with no driver installed (generic). don't really know since I didn't try to set it with those. Has some similarity with the profile from Dell, being brighter but don't now how they are displayed in practice...

It needs a Wide Gamut, and Dell having the same Panel offers a similar profile, yet calibrated in a different way. The profile from the LG CD is made to work with those Modes, but I don't like it and don't like the idea of using predefined modes (as in Movies, text and so on) since those or just general ones and I have different tastes/expectations. As for Windows default profiles, the ones with no driver installed (generic). don't really know since I didn't try to set it with those. Has some similarity with the profile from Dell, being brighter but don't now how they are displayed in practice...

Oh, well... so by default the monitor itself isn't too dark, only if you install it's driver... if I install Dell's driver it will look almost the same as the Dell monitor? (I read they have the same panels)

I never liked pre-defined profiles either, it's too bad they can't be changed, and usually there's only 1 custom scheme, btw does this monitor have any program for pc, like samsung magictune? so that i can do the settings on the pc? I use "Display Tuner" with my monitor, it's good because i can setup hotkeys to change between more custom profiles, but i read that it only works with monitors that support DDC commands, i don't know if LG does or not...

if I install Dell's driver it will look almost the same as the Dell monitor? (I read they have the same panels)

No, the Dell displays a green tint... but LG doesn't and this one of the reasons, why those that tried both say LG is better. You don't need to install the driver, don't even think you can since it's a different model, you need to add the .icm from inside - that's all. :)

Okay:p sorry for the noobish questions, I think that I won't find a better monitor than LG at this price rate, so I'll go with this, for almost sure, but anyways I can only buy it at next week (probably).
I also thought about the F2380, which has a c-pva panel, but in the reviews (compared to the Dell) almost everyone says that the Dell is better in every aspect, if the F2380 would be much better for movies I'd consider it, but except that black is really nice black details are lost from what I've seen, and all in all it isn't that good...

I also thought about the F2380, which has a c-pva panel, but in the reviews (compared to the Dell) almost everyone says that the Dell is better in every aspect, if the F2380 would be much better for movies I'd consider it, but except that black is really nice black details are lost from what I've seen, and all in all it isn't that good...

Very strange to observe it, but since I own both Dell 2209WA and am planning to buy LG W2220P, I can compare the Dell one with my other TN monitor, LG 19''. I was really surprised that the black levels of my TN LG monitor are much better than those on the Dell 2209WA. They almost do not change when I move my head horizontally and when I look the monitor from above it. The Dell shows a glow not only when moving my head from the center to the ends but also from above. I noticed these differences only recently when I was watching a dark movie on Dell 2209WA and saw the dark scenes from above and some relatively extreme angles. The black looked as some kind of white-brown to white. Surprisingly, there's almost no change in the black levels on the TN LG monitor.

The biggest problem with the TN monitors is the extreme colours change when looking from below the monitor. Colours purely disappear and/or a sepia effect is observed.

XSAlliN, very weird to see here (http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=35&mo1=639&p1=7465&ma2=88&mo2=477&p2=4862&ph=1) that the input lag by the LG vs. Dell is higher considering this is a newer panel. By the way, I know what you mean about P-MVAs. I have a 19'' Sony X-Black matrix LCD at the office. The black levels are great and there's no change from almost any angle. The problem is the really huge response time and input lag. I can even see it when opening websites with running text.

This is what they said - which says absolutely nothing. Nice that they are adding new products but are they adding the product I am interested in? No idea and no time line. Shame because I have bought 3 LG monitors and have had wonderful luck with them. I have been looking at the Dell and the HP ZR22W and if LG had come out with a monitor to match them I would buy the LG in a heartbeat. I can wait for a time but there needs to be something more than we are adding products. Nice for them but doesn't answer what I need answered. I will give them a couple of months and then if no response I will buy the monitor from someone else.

Dear Dick,

We are delighted to hear from you as our Valued Customer.

I understand the situation, actually there have been no announcement about those units coming soon to USA, we're currently adding new units so they may be coming to our market, however, I could not point an exact date for this.

If you have other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again either via email, or by calling our customer service division at 800-243-0000 at your convenience.

Nelson B.
E-mail Administrator
Customer Interactive Center
LGEAI

This communication is confidential, intended only for the named recipient(s) above and may contain trade secrets or other information that is exempt from disclosure under applicable law. Any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication by anyone other than the named recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify us by calling 256-772-0623. Thank you.

XSAlliN, very weird to see here (http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=35&mo1=639&p1=7465&ma2=88&mo2=477&p2=4862&ph=1) that the input lag by the LG vs. Dell is higher considering this is a newer panel. By the way, I know what you mean about P-MVAs. I have a 19'' Sony X-Black matrix LCD at the office. The black levels are great and there's no change from almost any angle. The problem is the really huge response time and input lag. I can even see it when opening websites with running text.

Can't say I trust that test since I didn't noticed any Inputlag compared to a CRT monitor... and here's a better review that says different, one that dissects all aspects of an LCD.

Back