LG LCD any good?

Blah425

Limp Gawd
I was thnking of maybe gettin either an LG 17" or a Samsung 17". My dad said I should probably go with the Samsung. I just wanted to see what other people thought.

Well, what models by those brands are you interesting in? I don't think anyone can tell you "any Samsung monitor is better than any LG monitor" or vice versa.

<--- does not work for LG.
I have a LG Flatron 17". I got it as a gift as I would have never thought about getting one. I hooked it up and was surprised at the picture quality. I cruise at 1280*1024 and with a decent response time(16 ms i think?) so I don't have any problems with games. I don't have any gripes about it at all. Oh and also some come with a chrome lookin base so it's pretty too.
:D

I have a 19" LG LCD monitor (L1930B) and I'm very happy with it... but I agree with Roger, you should tell us which specific models you're looking into. Also, you should let us know what purpose(s) you'll be using the screen for. Some panel types are better suited to specific uses than others, and almost every manufacturer has different varieties of panels in their product lines. "Company X's screens are better than company Y's" will never be true in all cases.

Roger said:
Well, what models by those brands are you interesting in? I don't think anyone can tell you "any Samsung monitor is better than any LG monitor" or vice versa.
LG Monitor (L1722P)

or

Samsung SyncMaster™ Monitor (730B)

I believe those are the two monitors I was lookin at in both BestBuy and CircuitCity.

The LG 1722P isn't listed on LG's website, so my guess is that it's a Circuit City-specific model of the L1720P . Both it and the Samsung 730B are TN panels, so they can be compared fairly directly. The Samsung has a better listed response time (8ms vs. 12ms for the LG) and contrast ratio (600:1 vs 450:1 for the LG). The 730B also has a slightly better vertical viewing angle.

The prices listed on Circuit City's and Best Buy's websites are the same, so in this case I'd recommend the Samsung.

I've never heard of L1722P but if you mean L1720P, it's a nice monitor. Still, out of those two, it'd pick the 730B. It has to be said though, the L1720P looks A LOT better and although Samsung claims wider viewing angles, they are they same as on the LG, just measured differently.

MichaelZhao said:
L1720P using S-IPS panel which is much better than TN panel. I will go with LG.
No it doesn't. All 17" LCDs by LG are TN.

MichaelZhao: That is a widespread misunderstanding.

Even L1710B which many claimed had a S-IPS panel had a TN panel. It was made with two different panels when it was topical; A HyDis HT17E12-100 and an AU Optronics M170EN05.

It is not strange that many believe this as Prad.de states that almost every L1710x to L1720x use a S-IPS panel.
It is not correct.

LG.Philips is the biggest manufacturer of S-IPS panels. They have no S-IPS panel smaller than 19". Look here:
http://www.lgphilips-lcd.com/homeContain/jsp/eng/prd/prd200_j_e.jsp
LM170E01 and LM170E02 are 17" panels. They are stated to have 16.2M(6bit + FRC) colours. Only TN panels use FRC (Frame Rate Control) to compensate for the missing colours in the 6 bit panel.
NEC and Hitachi makes S-IPS panels too but neither of them have 17" versions. And their panels are not used in many monitors.

I've had two LG LCD's (L1980Q & L1980U).
I got the L1980Q (8ms, TN) from BB but it had 5 dead pixels so I swapped it for a L1980U (12ms, TN) from Newegg and it's been perfect .

Back