LG L204WT vs. Dell 2007WFP vs. 215TW?

mingus

n00b
The LG L204WT looks nice for the money. Does it use the same panel as the Dell 2007WFP? Was also looking at the 215TW. I'm not a big gamer, but would like the fast response time of course. Photo editing is more important. Will be buying 2 of them, so the price is a bit more of an issue. Thanks for any input.

i've been deciding on l204 and 2007 myself, i'm leaning towards the lg due to price.. dell hasn't dipped below 360 on the 2007 and i'm tired of waiting

Techx said:
i've been deciding on l204 and 2007 myself, i'm leaning towards the lg due to price.. dell hasn't dipped below 360 on the 2007 and i'm tired of waiting

Any idea if they use the same type panel? The LG does seem like a great value.

you can get the L204WT for 279 with 10% coupon from CC, google it or search my other posts, the LG uses an 8bit TN panel, 2000:1 contrast, it looks SUPER NICE, rich colors, and quick, the dell is the I-SPS? panel, but 16ms response, 800:1 idd say they are pretty much =, depends tho..... idd rather save the 100$ and get the LG, i just cant get by the name "dell" and all of its problems. go check one out at CC

Spend the extra money and get the dell. It's well worth it. I love my 2007wfp. :D You just have to wait for the right sale price. It was $379CDN recently.

I just got my Dell 2007WFP delivered to me today and I did happen to get it at the sale price mentioned $379 for just that one day last week.

My impression of this monitor since I've only seen pics on the net...

First impression out of the box was WOW! Looked sweet and couldn't wait to hook it up. They sent me a brand spanking new one (I checked very carefully including manufacturing date, checked for screen wipes/streaks, etc.) although for some reason the VGA cable was attached to it already which I thought was weird but also remembered reading someone else got theirs with the cable connected. Sent me an A02 revision so I was happy.

Now when I hooked it up (DVI) and started up the machine, I wasn't too impressed with the display with factory settings.

First thing I did was fire up a widescreen DVD on my computer and I wasn't too pleased to say the least. The black levels were horrible in my opinion and very hard to see a good level of detail when it was dark/black. Can anyone suggest better display settings?

But that's really my only complaint so far.

Everything else is great, and it seems notably a little faster displaying web pages and loading images which seems weird to me because I don't think it should make a difference. Doesn't the video card handle that?

Waiting on my VGA cable for my XBOX 360 to come to test out how it is for gaming.

Obviously, I did that but still the black levels are poor. They are fine if I don't expand the DVD to full wide screen but when I do, they are very poor. Doesn't do that on my 19" CRT.

You won't find any LCD with black levels with a CRT. The reason the black levels don't look poor not full screen is because the desktop is really bright and it makes the black look much darker. If it bothers you a lot you can always point a lamp at it.. but really LCDs aren't made for use in pitch black unless you have the settings near 0. I personally always need some kind of light source

I personally don't think dvds look that great on any 20inch+ widescreen due to the high res of the monitor. I tried a few dvds and when you full screen it, the movies look kind of grainy cause you're taking a low res dvd source and upscaling it to 1680X1050. However, if you sit back a bit you don't notice the grain as much. I don't watch dvds on my monitor anyways, but just wanted to test it when I got my monitor.

Well the best for dvds is usually an edtv, mostly because dvd is their native display resolution, anything else scales.

Thanks for the tip guys.

Yeah, DVD's don't look so great on LCD monitors. My buddy has an LCD HDTV and it looks stunning when it plays DVD movies using component cables. Guess I'm comparing apples to oranges huh?

Figured I would get the same result, stupid me. :D

StaticSurge said:
Well the best for dvds is usually an edtv, mostly because dvd is their native display resolution, anything else scales.

I'm new to this whole scene and lingo but doesn't the 2007WFP support EDTV which is 480p?

It supports the resolution but it's not the native resolution of the display and in the case of LCDs it makes the picture quality degrade. That's why a lot of people comment HDTVs don't look as good with SD stuff as their old set. It really depends on the TV/Monitor some do it better than others.

TheYoshi said:
I'm new to this whole scene and lingo but doesn't the 2007WFP support EDTV which is 480p?

Yes, and if you don't try to full screen the dvd, then that's what you are probably getting. Once you full screen the dvd, you're basically doubling the resolution so the monitor needs to scale it. You'll need to watch high def movies on these high res monitors for dvds to look good.

Back