LG L204WT: 5ms and 2000:1 contrast

Naaaaak said:
Yes, but I don't have Windows (nor will I be able to install it for a while)
Do you suppose settings would be similar for all monitors of this type?

Ohh.. ouch. Hmm, I don't know what to do then besides what you've already done...

Working on pics of LG and Samsung... gotta head out for an hour tho. Will post when I get back.

I will be getting this monitor tomorrow from Fedex and I will post my impressions of it. I have been using a 19" CRT Sony G420S since 2002.

[H]ard|Nate said:
I will be getting this monitor tomorrow from Fedex and I will post my impressions of it. I have been using a 19" CRT Sony G420S since 2002.
How much is Fedex selling them for? :p

I just played unreal tournament with my new SGI version of the G520 for 399 shipped and it was so great. It put a big smile on my face , i was at a 100hz. Anyway when will the LCD have 15000:1 contrast ratio? It seems like LCD companies are just banking money on us. It seems like every 6 months they like to release a new LCD with 1000 more contrast. I guess in 6 months we will have 3000:1 lol

hagbard said:
Nice pics.

Thanks. I put a lot of effort into it...

Anyway. Yeah, been busy. Other things came up which, quite frankly, are of a higher priority. I will get to these as soon as I can.

Despite my bad luck getting 3 in a row with dead/stuck pixels, I do like the display. I do image editing, play games, watch DVDs and just everyday stuff, and this display does it all very well. It is my first LCD though, so I really don't have anything to compare it to. I haven't had to do any tweaking with the colors and I think they look excelent. All I did was turn the brightness down to 50% and the contrast to 60%.

That said, I'm thinking of returning it for a refund and getting something else. This is my 3rd one and it too has a messed up pixel. The first two had a dead pixel, this one has one that is now blinking blue, like an annoying little strobe in the lower right corner. It didn't show up until the 2nd day I had the monitor, and then it was just solid blue. Now it flickers.

The only problem is I've already gotten rid of my CRT, so I will be stuck without a monitor until I get something else. The other two displays I was looking at besides this was was the Viewsonic VX2025WM and the Dell 2007WFP. I'm leaning towards the Dell based on what I've read about them.

Yo. If you return your mornitor I heard that you need to pay for 15% restock fee. Anyone return this mornitor before? please post your results. Thanks

Yes, I did return mine, and CC charged me 15% restocking fee.
The only way you don't pay that 15% is if the unit is defective and you're exchanging for same model. CC will still charge you 15% if you want to exchange for different model, that is even if your original unit is defective.

So that's my very last purchase from CC. No more CC for me, ever!

Exchange it for a new one, don't open it, then go back a couple days later and get a refund on an unopened item.

If anyone is still interested Futureshop has this on sale now for $349.99. It still shows $369.99 on the website, but if you look in todays flier (online) or go into the store it is indeed $349.99. Picked mine up last night for that price.

:cool:

Just got mine over my lunch break. I am back at work and dang I want to go home and play. I am planning on writing up a small review for the monitor over this weekend, and I will post my thoughts on Monday. I will run some games, DVDs, gradient testing, and dead-pixel buddy and report back. I loaded Hitman: Blood Money and it looked awesome coming from an 4 year old Sony G420S, but again I am no videophile. I have a 6MP camera so hopefully the photos I will be posting will turn out decent. Anyone requests to be run on this monitor?

[H]ard|Nate said:
Just got mine over my lunch break. I am back at work and dang I want to go home and play. I am planning on writing up a small review for the monitor over this weekend, and I will post my thoughts on Monday. I will run some games, DVDs, gradient testing, and dead-pixel buddy and report back. I loaded Hitman: Blood Money and it looked awesome coming from an 4 year old Sony G420S, but again I am no videophile. I have a 6MP camera so hopefully the photos I will be posting will turn out decent. Anyone requests to be run on this monitor?
Make sure you have a DVI-D cable. It doesn't come with the monitor.

Just picked one up at circuit city, can't wait to get home to try it out either (I'm at work). I've never used a lcd before, have been using a 21crt monitor.

Thanks for the FYI. I noticed that when I opened the box. I just purchased a cable on ebay, but for the mini-review on Monday it will be a on the analog cable. Is the switch from analog to DVI very dramatic?

azure said:
Just picked one up at circuit city, can't wait to get home to try it out either (I'm at work). I've never used a lcd before, have been using a 21crt monitor.

Be sure to post your impressions of it.

Will probably post impressions tomorrow, sorry don't have access to digital camera (except on my blade phone). I am a heavy gamer and movie watcher and this will be my first lcd. I will be looking at the BENQ 24 incher for my build this coming month as well (this lcd is going to be on my currect rig and be given to my girlfriend.)

Hi, I'm new to his forum and I joined just because I'm thinking of buying this monitor (currently I still have a 17 inch crt).

My video card is a good old 6800GT and I'm not thinking about replacing it just yet as it serves me just fine at the moment. But my video card will probably not be able to play all games at the display's native resolution. So I would appreciate if the lucky owners of this display could give me feedback on how games look on this display when games are played at a fixed aspect ratio. Meaning playing a game at a fixed ratio of 1024x768 and 1028x1024 (or any smaller fixed ratio than standard). I would appreciate if you could let me know of this couses any problems and if the picture still looks sharp compared to the native resolution. Hope I made myself clear :p

So, what's the verdict on this or a Dell 2007WFP? Can get the Dell for an additional $80cdn.

I got mine today at Circuit City and Im pretty amazed so far. I did not get any dead pixels and the light leakage is pretty minimal. I did however find a problem with shimmering when this monitor is displaying some shades of gray. I suspect it is due to the 60hz refresh of the laptop Im using to test the monitor and the VGA cable. My main rig's psu and video card is coming on Monday so I should know after that. The blacks are definitely better than the Viewsonic and the color just as vibrant. The response time is very good also.

xappie said:
If anyone is still interested Futureshop has this on sale now for $349.99. It still shows $369.99 on the website, but if you look in todays flier (online) or go into the store it is indeed $349.99. Picked mine up last night for that price.

:cool:

it's $349.99 in weekly flyer now! Futureshop has low price guarantee, so for those who bought it for $369.99 in 14 days, I think you can go back to futureshop and get $20 back. For myself, I could not do that because I have own mine for more than 2 weeks... :( but I did use a $15 off coupon to purchase mine... so i feel ok. :) So guys, go get your $20 back!

I just picked up 2 of them from circuit @ 315 each. The colors are beautiful and no ghosting at all in bf2 or wow.

Colors are vibrant, dvd movies look good, I just cant get bf2 to look right. I finally got it to play but it is all stretched and squashed and looks like crap.

Is there software to check for dead pixels?

Be sure you use the DVI-D cable. I just got mine 3 days ago and I found that with the DVI-D cable the color is richer than VGA and the TEXT is sharp and crisp.
Also have one question. When I was using Gama -50 60 brightness and 70 contrast 6500k temp. The color looks great when I surfing internet. However in the game and movie it's too dark and I have to change gama to 0. But the color is not as good as -50. What gama value u guys are using?

hagbard said:
So, what's the verdict on this or a Dell 2007WFP? Can get the Dell for an additional $80cdn.

On second thought, forget the dell. I wouldn't take a Dell if they gave it to me.

vink said:
it's $349.99 in weekly flyer now! Futureshop has low price guarantee, so for those who bought it for $369.99 in 14 days, I think you can go back to futureshop and get $20 back. For myself, I could not do that because I have own mine for more than 2 weeks... :( but I did use a $15 off coupon to purchase mine... so i feel ok. :) So guys, go get your $20 back!

Where did u get the coupon?

hagbard said:
On second thought, forget the dell. I wouldn't take a Dell if they gave it to me.

Where did u get the coupon?

originally I order l203wt from futureshop, after one week they told me they don't sell it anymore, wonder if i want to switch to l204wt. I agreed but ask if i can get any discount, so they e-mail me a $15 off coupon..... the question is, is that some kind of privilege they give me? probably! but i know it's not the exclusive coupon for people like me... why? because you can find the same coupon here:
http://www.redflagdeals.com/deals/main.php/coupons/coupons_all/ , check it, currently you might not be able to find futureshop.ca coupon, but you can find coupon for bestbuy.ca, dell.ca, staple.ca, and coupon from many other stores. this web site updates coupons regularly. Enjoy!

hi , could someone tell me whats a TN panel and whats its pro/con s?
comparing to others...
thks

I am using the DVI-d, I never even tried VGA. The lcd is better than I thought it would be, but I don't have any experience with lcd before.

kick said:
I took some photos of the LG L204WT and Samsung 205BW side-by-side lastnight and should have time to post them tonight in, oh, about eight hours.

still waiting... i'm just really eager to see them! :p

Yeah, i'm back... work has been crazy. I did snap a few shots but to be honest, the Samsung 205BW and LG L204WT are very similiar with respect to features/performance and the photos could not capture the (subtle) differences.

Anyway, I returned the LG L204WT today. In the end, I found that the Samsung offerred a slightly cleaner image, more accurate colours, smoother gradients, has a height adjustable stand and has the menu buttons on the front panel. It's not to say the LG L204WT is a bad display, it offers slightly better contrast, slightly better blacks and slightly more even backlighting (both bleed a bit at the top/bottom).

In the end, both are excellent displays for the $$$ in my opinion. The Samsung 205BW just worked better for me. I don't think you could go wrong with either if you're looking for a large budget display that's good for gaming and general use. If you're looking to do photo/video work then I would probably looking to other panel technology, but you'll have to pay for it. I'd like to take a look at the Samsung 215TW but I can't justify $599CDN on a display. The Dell 2007FWP is also appealing at $479CDN but I have to look into Dell's return policy.

For those interested, here are the photos I took of the Samsung 205BW:

sam_photo.jpg

sam_dvd.jpg

sam_farcry_001.jpg
sam_farcry_002.jpg
sam_backlight.jpg

Back