LG G6 introduction at MWC 2017

• Thread starter Deleted member 245375
  • Start date
If you do care about MDM and business security, I would only recommend Google Nexus/Pixel and the iPhone. No other phone gets security updates quick enough.

BlackBerry Android devices tend to get the monthly Android patches within about 3-5 days (or sooner) after they're pushed out to the AOSP branch so, while they are not the most wildly popular devices (unfortunately) they do get the updates pretty damned fast. The KEYone ain't the prettiest thing ever either and it's too damned expensive for the specs but it might bring in some sales when it's released as it seems to offer what a lot of professionals have been hoping for that the Priv with it's slider design didn't satisfy.

OnePlus 3T is a nice phone but the issue for me with that device is the MDM software we use at work. OnePlus devices fail the safety check. There's something in their ROM that makes it fail so I can't use Airwatch.

Its funny you bring this up. I foolishly gave back my company issued cell to the cell department and told them I intend to use the sim in my dual sim phone, a ZTE Axon 7. Instant regret. Not 30 minutes later I get a call saying they need to get security approval for me to use my phone with the company email. I think "FFFFFUUUUU, me and my big mouth". I have been using the ZTE for 6 months with their sim and corp mail and I decided to clean out my junk drawer now to deal with this. What do you know? It passed. But heres the funny bit. 10 minutes before they call to tell me it passed Nine asks me to change my email password and to encrypt the mailbox. I havent changed that password in 6 months nor did I have to encrypt the mailbox. I am also using Nine with application level security not device. This leads me to think that if a device fails security checks, its gotta be the mail client talking back to the MDM. I doubt the MDM is actually doing some kind of security verification on the device itself.

Thoughts on this?

BlackBerry Android devices tend to get the monthly Android patches within about 3-5 days (or sooner) after they're pushed out to the AOSP branch so, while they are not the most wildly popular devices (unfortunately) they do get the updates pretty damned fast. The KEYone ain't the prettiest thing ever either and it's too damned expensive for the specs but it might bring in some sales when it's released as it seems to offer what a lot of professionals have been hoping for that the Priv with it's slider design didn't satisfy.

I really want to check out that KeyOne in person because if the keyboard is as good as blackberrys of yore, I could see myself getting one. I just wish it was a dual sim. As for the specs, they arent that bad. When you take into account the people that will buy it there primary concern is, the keyboard, the display and battery life (The Qualcomm 625 is more power efficient than the 820/821). As long as it works well, people will pay up.

Its funny you bring this up. I foolishly gave back my company issued cell to the cell department and told them I intend to use the sim in my dual sim phone, a ZTE Axon 7. Instant regret. Not 30 minutes later I get a call saying they need to get security approval for me to use my phone with the company email. I think "FFFFFUUUUU, me and my big mouth". I have been using the ZTE for 6 months with their sim and corp mail and I decided to clean out my junk drawer now to deal with this. What do you know? It passed. But heres the funny bit. 10 minutes before they call to tell me it passed Nine asks me to change my email password and to encrypt the mailbox. I havent changed that password in 6 months nor did I have to encrypt the mailbox. I am also using Nine with application level security not device. This leads me to think that if a device fails security checks, its gotta be the mail client talking back to the MDM. I doubt the MDM is actually doing some kind of security verification on the device itself.

Thoughts on this?

That's a tad different. Nine is simply an Outlook inbox it's not part of an MDM solution. With AirWatch there's a device administrator agent installed on the device along with the email app (AirWatch Inbox) itself. It looks at all types of things including SafetyNet. I was rooted for a little while on my G5 and it failed verification. Had to go back to stock.

Nine is just like when I was using Touchdown HD (before we moved to AirWatch). It's simply ActiveSync. Not much they can do to force policy with it. They pretty much asked you nicely to do a few things and they hope you did it. You could just as easily install Touchdown and connect to your work e-mail and they'd never know. That's why AirWatch needs the agent. It can force password changes and encryption and watch for things like root or a compromised device. Whatever "compromised" means. ;)

I understand now. The device agent was checking the devices compliance and reporting back that it doesnt pass. Yeah, thats a different scenario.

However. I will say that in the past when I added the company mailbox to the phones mail client it would force device encryption, lock screen settings and even it made itself a device admin along with a few things I am forgetting. So agent or not, somehow its gotta be confirming to the server hat it has control of the phone.

Now that pricing and promos have been announced, there is a deal through Verizon for $672 with free Google Home and $200 trade-in credit. I chatted with Verizon last night and they said LG G4 is an acceptable trade-in. Thought about it and realized both LG G2 and G4 had quality defects (bootloop failure on the latter). So perhaps it would be better to wait and see how the G6 performs in terms of quality and reliability before making a purchase.

Trading in a device that has a known defect for one that might not have a defect or defects seems like a no-brainer to me at this point. Considering the age of the G4 (almost at the 2 year point right now) and the fact that LG is basically going to flat out start telling people they won't fix or replace them anymore now's as good a time as any to do an upgrade if you own one - and the G4 is my all-time fave smartphone, not that it matters, but even I know when it's time to move on to something more current. That offer from Verizon is about as good as it'll get for making use of a still functional G4 I suppose and I personally would say go for it before Verizon decides to gimp out and change the terms of the deal.

If the G6 does end up having some kind of hardware defect that shouldn't be a big deal overall since it's the new flagship and will be supported for at least 18-24 months from date of release. Make use of the G4 before it's too late, on several fronts.

"The LG G4 is dead, long live the LG G4..." :D

Late edit, just noticed this:

Class-action lawsuit targets LG over legendary G4, V10 bootloop issues

Last edited by a moderator:
Trading in a device that has a known defect for one that might not have a defect or defects seems like a no-brainer to me at this point. Considering the age of the G4 (almost at the 2 year point right now) and the fact that LG is basically going to flat out start telling people they won't fix or replace them anymore now's as good a time as any to do an upgrade if you own one - and the G4 is my all-time fave smartphone, not that it matters, but even I know when it's time to move on to something more current. That offer from Verizon is about as good as it'll get for making use of a still functional G4 I suppose and I personally would say go for it before Verizon decides to gimp out and change the terms of the deal.

If the G6 does end up having some kind of hardware defect that shouldn't be a big deal overall since it's the new flagship and will be supported for at least 18-24 months from date of release. Make use of the G4 before it's too late, on several fronts.

"The LG G4 is dead, long live the LG G4..." :D

Late edit, just noticed this:

Class-action lawsuit targets LG over legendary G4, V10 bootloop issues

Yes, I saw the class action news today on the G4. The problem is that many of us buy premium phones on a 24 month payment plan to match the contract. But the phone's warranty is only 12 months. So one can end up owing a lot of money on a device that has stopped working and is out of warranty. Given LG's track record it is perhaps unwise to take that risk. On the other hand, if a carrier like Verizon offers that type of trade-in credit on another Android manufacturer (one that is presumably reliable) that is arguably the superior deal.

It will be interesting to see how the class action lawsuit affects LG's future sales. If I were advising them it would be to extend the warranties on future products to give customers confidence that their QA is improved and the G4/V10 situation will not repeat itself on future products.

Nobody who has even basic knowledge of the LG G series phones, doesn't think about it's most distinct feature - a removable battery. This feature is quite possibly the biggest(some may say only) selling point for the entire series. It's what glued the fan base together through out these last several years and now they've just shredded it to pieces. Horrible move on their part.

The entire series? Guess you never had a G2.

For a flagship? Nah. I think the S7 Edge debuted at what, $850 or so?

EDIT: $792. Not that far off.

That may not seem like a lot of money today, but it is after you consider how much the price went up over the last 5 years.

As much as I really want one 700 is a lot of money. Especially when you consider there are cheaper options and you ask, is it really worth double?

I think the point being made was you said all the G series devices had removable batteries which is not the actual case: the original Optimus G and the G2 (the G's successor) did not have removable batteries - LG made them removable with the G3, then the G4, the V10, then the G5 and that stupid modular crap, then the V20 and that's it, now they're back to the sealed internals once more with the G6.

I won't say that not having a removable battery in a device is an absolute deal breaker, such as the G6 is now designed, but the fact that LG is dropping some aspects of the hardware for the US/Euro models is enough to make me walk away from LG now that they're making devices I'm simply not interested in. I don't even give a shit about the placebo "Hi-Fi DAC" bullshit either - I care about the fact that they're stripping out components for the US/Euro models and from what I've seen they haven't reduced the pricing enough to account for those missing components in these particular US/Euro models.

LG, what the fuck are you people doing?

You do realize that article is about the ~2 year old G4 and they only relate to software-based aspects like certain apps being included or not (like the FM Radio app), right?

The US and European models of the LG G6 (the new flagship about to hit the market) are stripped of the following hardware aspects:

- the Hi-Fi DAC that LG has been basically pushing and even bragging about for the past year or so in the G5 and the V20 (might be a slightly improved one in the G6 but a placebo either way)
- the 64GB option meaning the US and Euro versions will only have 32GB as the storage option and according to reports there's only 20.5GB of user available space on the first boot (which is pretty lame)

The US model with have wireless charging exclusively, however, so some might consider that a trade-off worth considering, I'm not one of them because of all the other aspects including the price. There's no one LG G6 model that appears to have everything that the variants offer individually which is kinda stupid: create flagship device with great specs all around then purposely splinter it and make various configurations distributed by geographical region where some regions get X aspect and others don't.

Seriously stupid stuff.

Update: according to this review, Verizon LG G6 removes FM radio, T-Mobile keeps it. History repeats itself. Tempted to switch to T-Mobile, getting tired of Verizon removing features from their Android phones.

My pre-order from TMo is arriving today. I'm looking forward to it, not becuase I'm unhappy with my HTC 10 (far from it, been a great phone that should be able to survive my daughter's butter fingers since it's built like a friggin tank), but because i'm looking forwards to that almost bezel-less screen. The bezels, going from a G3 to the HTC 10, were the only real disappointment with the HTC. Getting the wireless charging back is a big plus as well, love that feature.

Update: according to this review, Verizon LG G6 removes FM radio, T-Mobile keeps it. History repeats itself. Tempted to switch to T-Mobile, getting tired of Verizon removing features from their Android phones.
This should make you smile. It's a screen shot of a T-Mobile LG G6 playing that FM radio using a native app on the phone.

Last edited:

It may be an easy fix that's as simple as installing the missing APK/app that LG uses to listen to the radio. That's how it was with my Verizon One M8 and I had a working FM radio on it without even rooting or anything.

It may be an easy fix that's as simple as installing the missing APK/app that LG uses to listen to the radio. That's how it was with my Verizon One M8 and I had a working FM radio on it without even rooting or anything.

That would be nice if true. I read somewhere that Verizon makes a hardware change preventing the FM radio from working though. Anyway, this could be tested on the G4, anybody have a link to the LG APK for radio?

So I picked up my G6 today. I must say I like it a lot.

It's a beautiful phone. It's noticeably smaller than my V20 even though the screen is technically bigger. The bezels are teeny tiny and man the screen is HUGE.

It's fast and snappy and as usual LG has made minimal changes to Android itself so it still pretty stockish.

Overall I'm quite happy. Helps too that I'll be getting a free Google Home and T-Mobile is offering a freee LG GPad X 8.0 as well. :D

I've been enjoying mine for the last week and a half. The size is great in my hands, not too heavy. The tiny bezels are awesome as well, the ones on the HTC10 I switched from always seemed just a little too big.

Back