LG G5 pricing

Yippee38

2[H]4U
According to xda-developers, the LG G5 will be $799 unlocked, and will be available on April 1 in the U.S..

Seems a bit high for me for a phone with such a puny battery.

Seems like you ought to buy that Xiaomi Mi 5 for $260. That's basically what you are saying, right?

What really is the point of this?

Yeah, I doubt it will cost any more than it normally does every year. Plus the G phones see significant price drops and incentives/promotions after just a few months of launch every year. LG was almost paying people to take the G4 back in November with some of their coupons and promotions that were being ran.

Seems like you ought to buy that Xiaomi Mi 5 for $260. That's basically what you are saying, right?

What really is the point of this?

Nope. It's not what I'm saying. I'm keeping my options open and looking at all of the phones coming out this year. I thought this one might be a contender, but that remains to be seen.

The point is that it seems a bit strange that LG would try to price it at a point higher than the S7. Then again, it seems like maybe that's just a Best Buy thing.

799 is BS.. The MSRP is probably 699 with an inflated price on that sign to make it look like an even better deal. LG is not dumb enough to put it at higher cost then the s7 or 6s,, much less the s7 edge or 6s plus.

THe 630 with extra's from tmobile sounds a whole lot more like LG

The iPhone SE is $499 for the 64GB version. Aside from the screen and the 1GB of RAM (but it's iOS with a different kind of memory management), it's some pretty high-end hardware and radio support. Donald Trump's hands approved!

Tempted to return my S7 Edge for a G5... But losing the screen size would be hard.
I think you wouldn't actually be losing much.. If it was a flat screen at 5.5" vs a flat 5.3" it's noticeable, but the curved edge screen you already loose screen.. You probably actually have more flat screen on the 5.3.

I think you wouldn't actually be losing much.. If it was a flat screen at 5.5" vs a flat 5.3" it's noticeable, but the curved edge screen you already loose screen.. You probably actually have more flat screen on the 5.3.

If it turns out it's bootloader unlocked on Verizon and I'm still wthin the return window (unlikely) I will consider it.

$648 on verizon with 360 cam thing and extra battery/charger.

As soon as they fix my account ill have mine pre ordered.

Im happy with mine so far. Audio quality without the hifi plus is acceptable, not really much better than most smartphones but no worse. Gets me by at the gym. Really hoping they get on releasing the hifi plus and someone makes a case that accommodates it.

Hmm... do your research:
LG G5 RS988 32GB Smartphone and VR Bundle (Unlocked, Titan) B&H

For $750, this includes:
  • 360° Camera, VR Headset & Smartphone
  • GSM + CDMA / 4G LTE Capable
  • North American Variant Smartphone
  • Smartphone Has Modular Design
  • Dual Rear Cameras: 16MP + 8MP
  • Headset Shows 360° Photos and Videos
  • Headset Plays Google Cardboard Content
  • 360 Camera: Dual 13MP Sensors
  • 360 Camera Records 2K 360° Video
  • 360 Camera: 5.1-Channel Surround Sound

Thats still pretty high considering directly through my carrier it was $624 with 360 cam and extra battery.

Thats still pretty high considering directly through my carrier it was $624 with 360 cam and extra battery.

Same here. I picked one up on Jump On Demand.

I do find it interesting the phone can't approximate CMYK correctly. Some of the print / artwork I have saved I pulled up and it's worlds apart from my monitor (not even in the same time zone).

For those considering getting this phone and wish to use root or flash other Roms (*cough* pure Android), hold off. LG pulled some shenanigans and hardware locked the bootloader using Qualcomm's secure system just like the Galaxy S7.

From the mixed reports, T-Mobile is apparently trying to get the device manufacturers to correct it since they're known as the unlocked bootloader carrier.

I'm torn on possibly returning it. Love the phone, but I like having control over my OS as it tends to extend my usage (I got two+ years out of S5) by allowing me to go to a newer OS quicker. I looked at the Nexus 5X, slower processor is OK, but not sure about the camera and 2Gb RAM.

Last edited:
For those considering getting this phone and wish to use root or flash other Roms (*cough* pure Android), hold off. LG pulled some shenanigans and hardware locked the bootloader using Qualcomm's secure system just like the Galaxy S7.

From the mixed reports, T-Mobile is apparently trying to get the device manufacturers to correct it since they're known as the unlocked bootloader carrier.

I'm torn on possibly returning it. Love the phone, but I like having control over my OS as it tends to extend my usage (I got two+ years out of S5) by allowing me to go to a newer OS quicker. I looked at the Nexus 5X, slower processor is OK, but not sure about the camera and 2Gb RAM.

Hmm, wonder if that's going to be the trend with all SD820 phones then. I hope not, because I'm waiting on the HTC 10 and am hoping it will be a good replacement for my M8. It was one of the few phones I could get on Verizon at the time (got it at launch 2 years ago) that could be bootloader unlocked from the start. But I've grown to really like the front facing speakers and IR blaster on it too, which there's still evidence of the 10 having stereo speakers and an IR blaster, so I'm really hoping it pulls through. If it doesn't, I'm really not interested in the current flagships except for maybe the 6P. I may just pick up a used M9 cheap on Swappa when I switch to TMobile next month, hah.

It's been a trend with almost all phones for a while now. I don't get How do many are surprised when phones launch locked.

I just pulled mine out of the box & set it up... So far I love the phone.. I am not crazy about the metal seems around the edges as they dont feel all that great, but thats going to be gone as soon as Amazon delivers my case for it. I can also see why it is so difficult to get a full coverage tempered glass screen protector for it. The top has multiple curves.

It's been a trend with almost all phones for a while now. I don't get How do many are surprised when phones launch locked.

Only on Verizon and AT&T, not so much on Sprint and T-Mo.

I'm 2 hours into the g5 and so far very happy with it.. Started playing a game while it was installing the initial apps and it didn't lag. Drained the battery to 3 percent and already fully charged it again. That fast charge is nice. The software while having lg's spin is not too far from stock. Though I did of course install Google now

Only on Verizon and AT&T, not so much on Sprint and T-Mo.
Let's go ahead and count the locked bootloader phones vs unlocked. The few tmobile have dont even begin to make a dent in this long running trend.

Avid even if both those carriers managed to have nothing but phones with unlocked bootloaders they are still insignificant by comparison to big Orange and big red in real world sales and market share.

Let's go ahead and count the locked bootloader phones vs unlocked. The few tmobile have dont even begin to make a dent in this long running trend.

Avid even if both those carriers managed to have nothing but phones with unlocked bootloaders they are still insignificant by comparison to big Orange and big red in real world sales and market share.

Not sure why you're bringing up world wide phones when we're obviously in the US and Spidey and I were specifically discussing the T-mobile variants. All of TMo's phones have been bootloader unlockable up to this point, so yeah, it's a bit surprising that they're not now. Let's try to follow the conversation better now.

I'm curious to know what international/carrier unlocked phones don't also have unlockable bootloaders now though. It seemed to me that most of them were easily unlocked compared to most carrier variants.

I don't know if you know this or not either; but no phone comes with an unlocked bootloader, not even Nexus phones. It's just a matter of how hard OEMs and carriers lock their bootloaders down. On Nexus phones, it's just a simple ADB command, but on most carrier variants (like my Verizon One M8), it's through a known security exploit. I'm not sure how TMo phones are normally unlocked since I'm not on TMo.

Last edited:

I'm more surprised at all the people who feel like their entitled to root or unlockable bootloaders. I have the G5 and technically the bootloader is unlockable. The problem is dm-verity and fastboot missing commands.

Would I like root? Sure why not. However, I don't miss it. I also saw this coming from a mile away. When dm-verity was added to the kernel (Verified Boot | Android Open Source Project) I knew root was beginning it's slow death. I think Nexus is going to be the only developer friendly device in the near future.

T-Mobile may be asking Samsung and LG to make the devices dev friendly but in the long run they have nothing to use a leverage. Very little T-Mobile can do about this in the grand scheme of things.

Not sure why you're bringing up world wide phones when we're obviously in the US and Spidey and I were specifically discussing the T-mobile variants. All of TMo's phones have been bootloader unlockable up to this point, so yeah, it's a bit surprising that they're not now. Let's try to follow the conversation better now.

I'm curious to know what international/carrier unlocked phones don't also have unlockable bootloaders now though. It seemed to me that most of them were easily unlocked compared to most carrier variants.

I don't know if you know this or not either; but no phone comes with an unlocked bootloader, not even Nexus phones. It's just a matter of how hard OEMs and carriers lock their bootloaders down. On Nexus phones, it's just a simple ADB command, but on most carrier variants (like my Verizon One M8), it's through a known security exploit. I'm not sure how TMo phones are normally unlocked since I'm not on TMo.

Never said a damn thing about world wide phones at all... In fact all i mentioned where US carriers so what are you talking about? Real world sales is not the same as world wide sales...

Second the claim that all TMO phones up to now have been bootloader unlocked is flat out false. But whats most confusing is you make that claim then go on to say that NO phones come with unlocked bootloaders?

Frankly im a bit lost because you are all over the damn place here making no sense at all.

But whats most confusing is you make that claim then go on to say that NO phones come with unlocked bootloaders?

Frankly im a bit lost because you are all over the damn place here making no sense at all.

I guess that shows how much you know about the subject then. No phone (at least sold in the US) has an unlocked bootloader out of the box. Disregard and move on. You just keep moving the goalpost.

I guess that shows how much you know about the subject then. No phone (at least sold in the US) has an unlocked bootloader out of the box. Disregard and move on. You just keep moving the goalpost.

All of TMo's phones have been bootloader unlockable up to this point, so yeah, it's a bit surprising that they're not now.

What? No goal post being moved here you made a definitive claim that ALL of tmobiles phones where bootloader unlocked or able to be. That is absolutely false, period, end of discussion.

So lets sum up here.

You went off topic about bootloaders in a thread about the pricing of the G5 then make this condescending comment...

Let's try to follow the conversation better now.

Classy, considering you are completely off topic...

Then you make false claims then get even more condescending all the while talking clear out of your own ass...

I guess that shows how much you know about the subject then.

Even classier considering you are still wrong and still talking right out of your ass.

What? No goal post being moved here you made a definitive claim that ALL of tmobiles phones where bootloader unlocked or able to be. That is absolutely false, period, end of discussion.

So lets sum up here.

You went off topic about bootloaders in a thread about the pricing of the G5 then make this condescending comment...

Classy, considering you are completely off topic...

Then you make false claims then get even more condescending all the while talking clear out of your own ass...

Even classier considering you are still wrong and still talking right out of your ass.

Right, with the exception of these new SD820 phones, let's hear about the few obscure crappy phones that T-Mo sells that no one cares about, so you can be "right". You're that forum nerd that has to point out everything wrong and misses the point. Stop being that guy.

We were on topic, talking about the G5's bootloader. The G5 shares the same SoC as the S7, which is also locked down on T-Mo. I made the comment about this being a trend on SD820 phones, then you come in talking about every other phone/carrier that has had their phones locked down this way, derailing the thread.

Right, with the exception of these new SD820 phones, let's hear about the few obscure crappy phones that T-Mo sells that no one cares about, so you can be "right".

Do you even read what the fuck you are saying? Who is moving the goal posts now?

You're that forum nerd that has to point out everything wrong and misses the point. Stop being that guy.

I missed the point?

We were on topic, talking about the G5's bootloader.

/facepalm.

I made the comment about this being a trend on SD820 phones, then you come in talking about every other phone/carrier that has had their phones locked down this way, derailing the thread.

Seriously the absolute lack of self awareness...

You go off topic about bootloaders in a thread about the fucking price... I point out that locked bootloaders has been a trend for a while now and that is somehow derailing the thread thats NOT AT ALL ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE DISCUSSING?

Sorry guy but you lack any form of self awareness. Bootloaders have NOT A FUCKING THING to do with this thread. Second pointing out that locked bootloaders are common with the carriers that make up over 80% of the US market share is not negated in any way shape or form by the fact that the smallest carrier in the country tends to have unlocked bootloaders...

I'm sorry you couldn't follow the conversation, lol. I dunno what else to tell you. We were only talking about T-Mo's phones and you had to drag everyone else into it. How much market share they have was irrelevant to our conversation. Spidey was the one who actually brought up the G5's bootloader, I was just replying to him about it.

We were only talking about T-Mo's phones and you had to drag everyone else into it.

Read through the fucking thread and try saying that again. Theres no we, its just you. Spidey pointed out the bootloader situation, was not talking about just Tmo. You took it off in that direction.

But thats about enough of you...

Read through the fucking thread and try saying that again. Theres no we, its just you. Spidey pointed out the bootloader situation, was not talking about just Tmo. You took it off in that direction.

But thats about enough of you...

That's obviously the variant he has and was talking about.

Guys, kiss and makeup. We don't need another TTL situation. Ever since he's been banned, this forum has been pretty civil until now. Just saying.

Guys, kiss and makeup. We don't need another TTL situation. Ever since he's been banned, this forum has been pretty civil until now. Just saying.
Pretty much this... This is the only thread about a great phone and its turned into a a little flame war

Back