LG G4

I'm not changing my tune. I'm saying that most people don't shoot in RAW, and it's not realistic to expect them to given limited storage space, capped data and a lack of service support... therefore, processing quality is an important factor. Unless you can prove that RAW is genuinely going to become mainstream, this is an unquestionable fact.

Quality over quantity. Rather take one RAW that I can process to my liking than pray and spray and hope in-camera processing gets it right.

I got the LG G4 last Friday and have been using it casually for the first few days but I've been out of town traveling the last couple of days, so I got to use it more aggressively, using GPS, Uber and other apps to help me get around town and find places to eat and take photos of the area. I've been impressed with the battery life and call quality so far. I took some photos yesterday, both outdoors with plenty of light and and indoors with low light. Both look good to me and a lot better than what I'm use to..which was a HTC One X+

A few days ago I got the LG G4 Verizon black leather version. Here are my impressions.

Coming from the G2, so far I have had better battery life. Perhaps my G2 battery is wearing out as I didn't expect this.

Speaker is much louder than G2, a good thing.

G2 would occasionally lag, have not seen the G4 lag yet. Phone is faster even when G2 is not lagging.

Screen looks great, but I can't tell the resolution difference from 1080 to 1440.

Since I had the G2 on Verizon, the volume buttons were too small on the back. The other carriers had larger buttons I believe for the G2. The Verizon G4 has large buttons as well. This makes controlling volume without flipping the phone over a lot easier, appreciated.

Obviously the G4 is larger. I have large hands and can still operate the phone with one hand, which is good.

Overall, the G4 is exactly what I expected. My opinion is that this phone is underrated in the pro reviews. All smartphones involve trade-offs, and I like the trade-offs made on the G4. I wanted ability to swap battery, sd card slot, small bezel, and top notch camera. I haven't seen any evidence that the phone suffers due to the slower Qualcomm Snapdragon 808. I don't care about fingerprint scanners, waterproofing, or phones made of metal. Anyway, recommend this phone, I am becoming a fan of LG Android devices.

I will update the impressions if anything significant changes (I haven't tried out the camera yet).

All of the reviews and specs were saying the G4 wasn't setup for wireless charging.

I didn't really pay attention when I got my G4, but I opened it up this morning to put in the 32GB card I got from LG. At least on my black leather Verizon version, it sure looks like the backplate is setup for wireless charging.

nyd81z.jpg

All of the reviews and specs were saying the G4 wasn't setup for wireless charging.

I didn't really pay attention when I got my G4, but I opened it up this morning to put in the 32GB card I got from LG. At least on my black leather Verizon version, it sure looks like the backplate is setup for wireless charging.

nyd81z.jpg

NFC.

Yes, RAW matters because photographers are demanding for it and the reason why it's becoming more common.

Good thing they included it as a feature on a phone. I mean no real photographer would use an expensive camera when they have a G4. :rolleyes:

Geez, no wonder the camera auto settings try to keep the ISO low. The ISO noise on this thing is pretty scary when you get over 400.

I'm on my second T-Mobile LG G4. The first slowly started getting worse and worse screen problems when typing/selecting stuff. The LG keyboard update didn't help.

The second started having worse keyboard input as well, but changing it out to Swype fixed that issue.

Tap to wake doesn't work without me poking it at least 3 times, most of the time I have to hit it 5 or 6 times.

My last gripe is no Zerolemon battery yet, but I hear that is slated for a late September release.

Other than that, and coming from a Note 3: the overall experience is nice. Near stock android is awesome. Screen is damn good, and I really only liked OLED before this phone. Battery life is OK (not great by any measure) - I get home with about 30% left with light web browsing, music streaming, and popping in to check on my Clash of Clans every so often - about 1 to 2 hours screen on time on average. Something to do with the wake lock likes to leach my battery.

Overall I am satisfied coming from a Note 3, which is a little surprising.

Back