LG G Watch Reveal

Ozymandias

[H]ard|Gawd
Official reveal here. Unfortunately, LG isn't sharing any hardware details or new info about Android Wear. It doesn't look like wireless charging will be available (contacts on the back of the watch), unlike the Moto 360.

Are these smartwatches catching on at all? I've yet to see one person wear a smartwatch.

If you didn't already wear a watch, then I would think those same people wouldn't buy this either. That may just be me though...

How does the battery work for these things? Do you charge them like a phone?

They all look ugly, apart from the Motorola 360 and the thing Will I am showed off.

Are these smartwatches catching on at all? I've yet to see one person wear a smartwatch.

If you didn't already wear a watch, then I would think those same people wouldn't buy this either. That may just be me though...

I wear a Pebble, but of course I'm a tech enthusiast posting on HardForum -- I'm not exactly the status quo.

Part of the problem is the current state of smartwatches themselves. They all tend to look a bit dorky, and the functionality is either relatively simple (Pebble) or overwrought and flawed (Samsung). Android Wear theoretically fixes these by combining an easy interface with functionality that goes beyond just notifications and simple apps, but it's hard to know for sure that it'll work as promised.

To me, smartwatches will only really catch on if they're both stylish and provide a clear advantage over simply pulling your phone out of your pocket. The G Watch might accomplish that last part, but it still looks like wristwear for geeks.

Because all the "smart" watches look exactly like 1980's calculator LCD watches, only in color.. (except for the moto one) They looked stupid then, and they look stupid now.

I'm part of an extremely nerd circle (software developers) and, to this day, including all the conferences I've been to, I've only seen a pair. And I was really looking at those conferences to see if anyone is developing for smartwatches. Obviously people could be developing for smartwatches without wearing one. Most arms are bare. By proportion, the ladies (huge minority overall) do wear watches.

The guys who wear watches are mostly executive level folks who go to the conferences. I suppose that watches gets in the way with typing.

Aside from Google conferences, I've also only seen a pair of Google Glasses.

I'm part of an extremely nerd circle (software developers) and, to this day, including all the conferences I've been to, I've only seen a pair. And I was really looking at those conferences to see if anyone is developing for smartwatches. Obviously people could be developing for smartwatches without wearing one. Most arms are bare. By proportion, the ladies (huge minority overall) do wear watches.

The guys who wear watches are mostly executive level folks who go to the conferences. I suppose that watches gets in the way with typing.

Aside from Google conferences, I've also only seen a pair of Google Glasses.

If you read the link I am looking at you will see the answer / problem. Samsung is currently taking up the lions share of mobile watch market but no wants to develop for them because they are not very open / using their own OS on the watches and its interacting with mostly Samsung apps on their phones.

Are the smartwatch faces on all the time or do you have to press a button to turn the "screen" on?

I may actually get this. The Moto 360 looks like pure trash.

I don't understand why people are jizzing over the fact that Moto360 actually "looks like a real watch." It's not like there weren't rectangular watches before smart watches were a thing...

The Samsung Gear Live doesn't look half bad either despite its rectangular shape. I think it's just the LG G Watch being way too ugly making everything else look good...

It'll be hard for me to choice between a Moto 360 and a Gear Live. I also have my Agent Smartwatch that I still haven't received yet...

Just preordered a Gear Live to pair with my LG G3. Went with the Gear as I liked the design a bit better than the G Watch and it has a HR monitor.

One detraction I see is neither the Gear, G Watch (or Moto) have a camera. Since my friend used his Gear 2 to secretly film an in-flight propoganda film when visiting N. Korea, I've thought this feature would be useful :)

Back