LG E2370V-BF backlight

stimuli

n00b
I just received this monitor and created this account yesterday. I have mixed feelings. Coming from an old school SPVA panel with great blacks and minimal backlight bleed, this caught me off guard;

By todays IPS standards, how bad is the backlight on this panel--in particular, the lower right hand side is what really gets to me. Is it worth doing an exchange with newegg or will i likely get something similar?

I just received this monitor and created this account yesterday. I have mixed feelings. Coming from an old school SPVA panel with great blacks and minimal backlight bleed, this caught me off guard;

By todays IPS standards, how bad is the backlight on this panel--in particular, the lower right hand side is what really gets to me. Is it worth doing an exchange with newegg or will i likely get something similar?

Do you have normal brightness? If so, then I think it is not ok. It seems to be very different backlight bleed dependent on unit on these new LG IPS screens so I think you should ask for a replacement or buy U2311H instead.

Btw. I must ask.
Does this monitor run in 60 or 75 Hz?

Brightness was at 50 for the shots. The bleed is there even when i turn it all the way down! 60 Hz.

Well, it is a legitimate fault which looks quite objectionable. I own two Dell IPS monitors which don't have this backlight bleed. If you plan on using it as a video workhorse, a replacement would be in order.

What S-PVA monitor did you have, may I ask?

Well that wasn't that bad. Newegg will be sending a new monitor along with an email with a return label for the defective monitor. Shouldn't take too long. Now i will have to decide if the heavy AG coating is bad enough for me to sell the new one before opening it up.

Hey Stim,

Glad newegg will take care of you.

I received one of these awhile back and don't have any bleed like that on the corner.

Hey Stim,

Glad newegg will take care of you.

I received one of these awhile back and don't have any bleed like that on the corner.

Yes, they've yet to let me down.

Do you have any pictures of your screen to give me an idea of what i SHOULD be getting concerning the backlight?

Hmm, I might have to do this too. I have this model too with the exact corner bleed. I thought I was seeing things. Did you send them a picture, or just say what was wrong and they issue a replacement?

Edit: Oh wait, you're talking about the bottom aren't you? I was thinking the reddish glow on the top corners.. Mine has that..

Hmm, I might have to do this too. I have this model too with the exact corner bleed. I thought I was seeing things. Did you send them a picture, or just say what was wrong and they issue a replacement?

Edit: Oh wait, you're talking about the bottom aren't you? I was thinking the reddish glow on the top corners.. Mine has that..

I called and asked them what exactly their policy is concerning what qualifies as a defect. He automatically assumed i was going to start talking about dead pixels. I explained to him about the horrible bleed on the lower right hand side and he said that it qualifies and that i can send it in.

The top corner glow is nothing compared to the lower right hand bleed. You can still give it a shot though if you're under the 30 day mark. All these panels really seem to be hit or miss, you're either going to get dead pixels, screen uniformity issues with back light bleed or you'll get one that has neither--that must be like hitting the lottery though.

I think that looks good. About similar to mine i would say.

If you would like I can still take some pics for you and upload, but it would be in a couple days.

I think that looks good. About similar to mine i would say.

If you would like I can still take some pics for you and upload, but it would be in a couple days.

Not really necessary anymore.

Congratulations. That looks very good.

Hows the performance in gaming?

Thanks. Although the black levels are a lot better now, it's still no match for S-PVA.
These days i don't play games, i just wanted an affordable IPS panel since samsung doesn't make S-PVA anymore. I can say that the ghosting test here http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/testsoftware/ghosting.html is like night and day in comparison. The AG coating on this thing is way too aggressive and so i will be on the lookout for S-PLS and if not, then i will have to just get used to it.

Back