LG B7A, issues, and recommendations?

PinchedNerve

Limp Gawd
Hello.

Just got my B7A yesterday and I have 1 issue that's rather annoying. I'm using my B7A as a monitor and, for the most part its great, except when using my Browser (Chrome). For some reason, the screen will auto dim when there is a lot of white screen, and little black, for instance, google.com, search results without images, video's, and so on.

I have Energy Saving - off, and I have Eye Comfort Mode - off.

I have the input set for PC, and the Picture Mode, is "Game", which I believe turns off all the image enhancing/processing settings. If not I most likely turned them off, but willing to check suggestions. I also have HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color enabled.

Software Version - 04.70.50
3840x2160 - 60Hz
Using Nvidia Color - YCbCr 444 - 8 bcp. (Don't know if this is the optimal setting).

Anyone know the answer to my issue, and have any recommendations for settings?

Edit: Couple camera vids. Quality isn't great, but hopefully the issue can be seen. The issue is more noticeable in person.

Edit: I think I may have fixed it. Black Level was set to Auto. Low = same issue, High, seems to fix it.

Picture Mode > Picture Options > Black Level.

Last edited:
Which browser are you using? I've never noticed such dimming with Firefox Quantum on my B7A.

Chrome. It will also auto dim if I scroll any significant black objects out of view. Its pretty annoying.

Edit: Just tried it on Brave, and Edge. Same issue.

My B7 will auto-dim with Google homepage opens (browser window in fullscreen mode), but it only does it once. I've learned t just ignore it.

Could be the Automatic Brightness Limiter kicking in, a feature that seems to always be on.

This is normal, these LG sets have especially aggressive ABL (automatic brightness limiter) settings. This cannot be changed, sadly. You could however lower the overall brightness making the change less noticeable. The '18 sets I believe have less aggressive ABL.

I actually don't mind the intent of the feature. My old LCD would be so overpowering on Google that I averted my eyes. I'd rather it adjust itself and not be overpowering.

Software Version - 04.70.50
thats interesting. my b7a is on 4.70.36 and says there isnt any newer version available.

edit: apparently they ship TVs with newer software but don't update old ones until.... some point in time.

Last edited:
There's no easy way to turn it off. I was able to do it on my B6 via an android app (Service Menu Explorer) that let me into the developer menu of the TV where you can then turn the feature off (you need the paid version of the app to do this). There's other ways to reach the menu, but this was the simplest I could find.

Why LG doesn't expose the option to users is beyond me.

Back