LG 48CX

Everyone is ignoring that Kalston hasn't rerun Pixel Refresher yet? Worked for LTT if I recall...

You can't go 15,000 hours without running a pixel refresher lol. And he mentions it's working just fine...

"The compensation cycles appear to be working fine, including the big one every 2000h (curious to see if the next one clears things up)."

Sure maybe the next big compensation cycle at 16,000 hours might help clear it up a little bit, but once it hits this point there isn't much that can be done.

I think there's a button to run it on demand. I'd press it. I'd be unable to resist. Curiosity. :)

Yea, I'm waiting for the automatic process that will happen exactly 1000 h from now. I don't see the point of running it manually, that will just add extra wear to the pixels.

To my knowledge, the manual pixel refresh is exactly the same thing as what runs automatically every 2000h. And since I was often there when it happened, I can confirm it "looks" the same and lasts for the same duration (I messed around with the manual one once or maybe twice early on, as some people were claiming it helps with the 5% grey vertical banding).

Yea, I'm waiting for the automatic process that will happen exactly 1000 h from now. I don't see the point of running it manually, that will just add extra wear to the pixels.

To my knowledge, the manual pixel refresh is exactly the same thing as what runs automatically every 2000h. And since I was often there when it happened, I can confirm it "looks" the same and lasts for the same duration (I messed around with the manual one once or maybe twice early on, as some people were claiming it helps with the 5% grey vertical banding).
So if Pixel Refresher is the same process and of the same fixed duration whether triggered by the hours count or manually are you then asking that process to do twice as much work at 2000 hours since the last Pixel Refresher run versus 1000 hours now? Thus diminishing its chance of success?

(I can imagine such a thing. However, I don't know how that process actually works. So just throwing that out there. :) )

Yeah I'd probably just try running the pixel refresher manually and hopefully it will get rid of current burn-in instead of waiting for it to have lingered there for longer. Extra 1000h is quite a bit of time after all.

My understanding is that it scans the pixels, and boosts the voltage of those that have aged the most, to level them with the rest of the panel. At some point of course raising the voltage is not possible anymore, so "burn-in" becomes visible - aka pixels much dimmer than the others. Both the manual pixel refresh and the automatic one every 2000h do the same thing.

There is a very quick scan that runs every time you power off the display as well, as long as it's plugged in, if it has been powered on for some hours. I think that one does the same thing in essence, but it's not thorough, it's a very fast process.

1000h is some months yeah, but this is not actually impacting my enjoyment of the display since I don't see it in regular usage. I can run it if people really want me to, but I don't expect miracles. OLED burns in eventually.

I'd go for it. I'm thinking it's what the manual option is for. That said, we don't know how much runway the display actually has left as you indicate. It might not work. And of course, you should only do what you're comfortable doing.

I scheduled it to run at bedtime and it did (saw the white lines and everything before I tucked myself). I'm at the office now but when back home later I will inspect the screen closely, and compare to what it looked like. I have other pictures (other solid colours) I didn't upload so there is quite a bit of data to work with.

Last edited:
Update!

Not really any difference to be honest. Maybe it's a little more blurry but I'm not positive on that.

Camera angle is a little different but when zooming I am able to make out the same things.

OLD:
IMG_1485.jpg

NEW:
IMG_1499.jpg

BONUS, hp bars on green :
IMG_1500.jpg

Almost all other colours like red still look pristine mind you.

Now, back to enjoying the display the same as I have since day one, as for now there is still no issue for real world use.

Meh. Hard to see, but it does possibly look a bit better?

I'm in the same boat as you. I have a pretty high hour count on my CX and have been using it without ASBL for probably a couple of years now with OLED light set to 30 unless in HDR. There are certain portions of the screen that probably get more use overall, but I haven't been able to discern any burn-in when doing full screen fill tests after what, over 4 years of daily usage as a full-time monitor. LOL, no fricks given at this point as it has exceeded not only my expectations but the doomsday prophecies of numerous folks who insisted that such a use case wasn't possible. Most of those folks are long absent from this thread now. :)

I do have several dead pixels near the edges as noted by MistaSparkul, but only saw them after they were mentioned as a common thing (and then only after setting background to white and looking for them up close). They are completely unnoticeable during normal use, although it'll be interesting to see how many develop.

The great thing for newer buyers is that, as has been pointed out, the CX should be the worst case scenario in terms of burn-in, durability, and brightness as LG has continued improving the panel tech since those were released. So folks with C1s, C2s, etc. should see even better long-term performance than the already (to me) impressive CX.

Yup. I did not come here crying or regretting anything, just wanted to share my experience. I think most people will be more than fine and the newer models must have stellar longevity, probably beating off many competing LCD models.

I cannot even remember having nearly as many hours on a single LCD at home, and many of them developed far worse issues, such as dead pixels smack in the center where you can see them lol.

I'm knocking on wood because so far I've avoided the dead pixels completely, along with burn-in. Still hoping it lasts until something in the 50-55" size comes out that is an actual improvement. Brighter HDR, higher refresh rate would do it for me, but since I actually use it as a TV, I don't want Samsung if I can avoid it since their TizenOS is a pile of crap.

Thank you for trying Pixel Refresher.

I intend to start driving this one harder as I want to start using RTX HDR for all games. I guess we enjoy these spectacular displays for as long as they last. And hopefully the newer ones get higher refresh rates. (And I'd add rolling scan BFI back, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards.) And also hope the C series panel keeps its current polarizer/coating. Deep glossy blacks without that magenta tinting, which might unfortunately make it unique at this point.

I just hit 4001 hours. Only had it a year and racking them up quickly looks like. Probably early days for burn in, but it arrived with some dead subpixels along the edges.

Last edited:
Meh. Hard to see, but it does possibly look a bit better?

I'm in the same boat as you. I have a pretty high hour count on my CX and have been using it without ASBL for probably a couple of years now with OLED light set to 30 unless in HDR. There are certain portions of the screen that probably get more use overall, but I haven't been able to discern any burn-in when doing full screen fill tests after what, over 4 years of daily usage as a full-time monitor. LOL, no fricks given at this point as it has exceeded not only my expectations but the doomsday prophecies of numerous folks who insisted that such a use case wasn't possible. Most of those folks are long absent from this thread now. :)

I do have several dead pixels near the edges as noted by MistaSparkul, but only saw them after they were mentioned as a common thing (and then only after setting background to white and looking for them up close). They are completely unnoticeable during normal use, although it'll be interesting to see how many develop.

The great thing for newer buyers is that, as has been pointed out, the CX should be the worst case scenario in terms of burn-in, durability, and brightness as LG has continued improving the panel tech since those were released. So folks with C1s, C2s, etc. should see even better long-term performance than the already (to me) impressive CX.

Even then the dead pixels aren't actually noticeable from proper viewing distance. I can easily tell I have over 100 of them just by eyeballing around close to my screen, yet it doesn't bother me one bit since from my viewing distance since I can't actually see the individual pixels, plus they are only scattered along the outer edges and none of them are near the center. I see no reason to upgrade from my CX until PHOLED comes out so I'm just hanging onto it still.

I do wonder if a non-blank screen saver such as "Mystify" would be better than one that's a black screen. As it would mix up content versus my Windows desktop for example...

I do wonder if a non-blank screen saver such as "Mystify" would be better than one that's a black screen. As it would mix up content versus my Windows desktop for example...

Don't think so. Black screen = pixels completely off and I see no better way to preserve it's lifespan than that.

Might be right. I'm just wondering if a screen saver that's mostly black like mystify, plus turning if off completely for longer times not in use, might mix things up in a useful way.

Pixel Refresher just ran for the 4K hours mark. Looks the same before and after. None of the dead pixels along the edges came back to life or such, alas...

Still glad I was still able to get a CX/C1 though. The BFI.

Might be right. I'm just wondering if a screen saver that's mostly black like mystify, plus turning if off completely for longer times not in use, might mix things up in a useful way.

Pixel Refresher just ran for the 4K hours mark. Looks the same before and after. None of the dead pixels along the edges came back to life or such, alas...

Still glad I was still able to get a CX/C1 though. The BFI.

I'm wondering how the BFI will function on the Asus PG32UCDP. I doubt it will be able to do 240Hz BFI at 4K but since it can run 1080p 480Hz, doesn't that make 1080p 240Hz BFI possible? If so then that makes it pretty interesting as you would be able to achieve crazy levels of motion clarity while only needing to push 240fps at 1080p.

I'm wondering how the BFI will function on the Asus PG32UCDP. I doubt it will be able to do 240Hz BFI at 4K but since it can run 1080p 480Hz, doesn't that make 1080p 240Hz BFI possible? If so then that makes it pretty interesting as you would be able to achieve crazy levels of motion clarity while only needing to push 240fps at 1080p.
Seems like it would be technically feasible. Or even just still allowing 120Hz in the 480Hz mode to get equal clarity, but probably rather dim. I hope they still offer BFI in at least some form. They are not allowing HDR to be engaged during BFI in what's released so far apparently. Hope they reconsider that. (And LG seems hell bent on those matte finishes for their monitors. Crazy they don't give the option given how beautiful their C series glossy coatings are...)

Back