LG - 48" Class A2 Series OLED $550 at best buy

It’s the best new price on an OLED I’ve seen. I bought one when it popped up on slickdeals mid this week.

It used to be regularly around $530 last year and beginning of this year. I bought one about 6 weeks ago for $650 and it was a struggle to get Best Buy to follow their price matching policy to get it down to $600. I imagine $550 is as low as it’ll get this year. For a lot of people the size is going to be the negative since it’s a 60hz only with no VRR so that limits use as a monitor. I needed a 50” or smaller set for the bedroom to fit well so it worked out.

Can’t comment on the TV’s interface since I don’t use it. Was easier to just keep using the Apple TV there my wife is used to using in the bedroom.

It's that end of the year price reduction on the 2023 models to make room for the 2024.

Been thinking of using a 46" old Sammy (LCD) with the fat ass bezel around it as a entertainment TV for my office, wonder if the wife would notice if I instead used one of these...

It used to be regularly around $530 last year and beginning of this year. I bought one about 6 weeks ago for $650 and it was a struggle to get Best Buy to follow their price matching policy to get it down to $600. I imagine $550 is as low as it’ll get this year. For a lot of people the size is going to be the negative since it’s a 60hz only with no VRR so that limits use as a monitor. I needed a 50” or smaller set for the bedroom to fit well so it worked out.

Can’t comment on the TV’s interface since I don’t use it. Was easier to just keep using the Apple TV there my wife is used to using in the bedroom.
WebOS can be pretty laggy. I was actually quite disappointed that it is even slower on my C3 compared to my 5-year old C8. I don't see any added complexity in the UI or anything that would justify the poorer performance. The apps, at least, are quite snappy once they're loaded.
It's that end of the year price reduction on the 2023 models to make room for the 2024.

Been thinking of using a 46" old Sammy (LCD) with the fat ass bezel around it as a entertainment TV for my office, wonder if the wife would notice if I instead used one of these...
Yep. The C3 is down to $1,050 from $1,400 when it launched earlier this year.

Also no BFI, but that's probably a given since this is the entry-level TV. Honestly for $549 a 48 inch screen with perfect blacks ain't a bad deal at all.
Just note that the A2 doesn't remove judder from 60 Hz sources like the C2 does, and judder is very bad on OLEDs with 24 Hz content due to the near instantaneous response time.

Just note that the A2 doesn't remove judder from 60 Hz sources like the C2 does, and judder is very bad on OLEDs with 24 Hz content due to the near instantaneous response time.
The internal apps on the on the a2 are judder free — was just reading this on rtings.com For external sources (like your favorite streamer device) you’d want to set the source to 24Hz or match source instead of blanket 60Hz to avoid this issue.

Horror! Makes an OLED look like a strobe light to my eyes. DO NOT WANT.
For games it’s great. But yeah if you’re not interested in it then you can’t go wrong with this TV, assuming it’s other shortcomings don’t matter to you.

Picked up 3 for my new racing sim rig. Should work well for their purpose I think.

Attachments

• 20231109_160645.jpg
    20231109_160645.jpg
    692.2 KB · Views: 0
You just give up way to much from the B series, let alone the C series in stepping down to the A model from LG, whether this year's or last year's. Trust in Rtings and HDTVTest.

I'd rather a mid-range or slightly above mid-range discounted regular flat screen for the money.

You just give up way to much from the B series, let alone the C series in stepping down to the A model from LG, whether this year's or last year's. Trust in Rtings and HDTVTest.

I'd rather a mid-range or slightly above mid-range discounted regular flat screen for the money.
It depends on your purpose. For my situation they're perfect. 60hz is more than I'll need for 4k (x3) and there's no perceptible difference above 60hz in racing games. If it was for an FPS, sure, probably worth it to spend double on Gsync and 120hz.

Still a fairly well reviewed set from Rtings. Really depends on what you expect out of it. I didn’t expect all the gaming features and an OLED at the price point.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/a2-oled

I looked through all the similar sized (50") mid-range LCD TV options. They all had some other compromises.

Like with HDD->SSD, the leap to OLED itself is what matters. People get way too hung up on bells and whistles and Rtings feeds these insecurities.

Picked one up for the new house. Have a cx48 for my computer, so didnt need gsync and 120hz. Figured it was worth having an oled for the the living room even if only 48" at $550 rather than paying triple for a larger unit.

Back up to $600. Must have happened sometime last few days as I happened to have looked at something else on BB and it was still a recently viewed item over the weekend with the sale price.

Hoping it drops back down as it’s starting to look like I may have to replace my Panasonic VT60 too. :(. Though on this one I may be able to get away with one of the truly throwaways like a Hisense LCD. Viewing angles aren’t really a problem where it’s at right now.

Back up to $600. Must have happened sometime last few days as I happened to have looked at something else on BB and it was still a recently viewed item over the weekend with the sale price.

Hoping it drops back down as it’s starting to look like I may have to replace my Panasonic VT60 too. :(. Though on this one I may be able to get away with one of the truly throwaways like a Hisense LCD. Viewing angles aren’t really a problem where it’s at right now.
From plasma to OLED? Good for you. No compromises.

Back