LG 42" 1080p 120Hz LED-LCD TV 42LE5500 - $811.85 w/ free S&H @ Egg

Good deal, considering the current pricing scheme for LED LCD TVs.

But, whoever becomes interested in this, please first consider that plain LCD TVs are $200-$300 less for the same size. LED is indeed slightly better than LCD when it comes to color and contrast, but not worth the extra cash (in my books).

LED also uses less energy on top of the better quality. So I personally think it is... but man, do I want to buy this?

Wow, someone always has to threadcrap a LED tv deal to claim they think its not worth it...

LED, from what I've seen... is hella worth it. I've been in a room (brandsmart USA down south) and they have a huge showroom with pretty much every TV known to man, in every size. Even brands nobody else carries. When LEDs first came out, there was literally a crowd around one of the Samsung LED TVs playing transformers on bluray.

I wanted to scope the new BIG LEDs though, and the 55" was simply awesome. I walked up and the entire thing was a finger nail thick!!! They have to make the HDMI ports vertical since the HDMI port itself seems to be too thick for it! No joke.

Not to mention its 30-40% cheaper than an LCD in terms of power use... that adds up to your electric bill if you leave it on a lot. Plasmas use muuuuch more than them as well.... and get a very similar picture.

ugh, grandma always said to never feed a troll, but I never listen.

1. When you compare a good quality LCD vs good quality LED-LCD with the same AV equipment connected (and none of that hdmi replicator crap that stores use), you will notice that the difference is minimal.
2. The problem is, there are very crappy LCDs out there atm which, when placed surrounding a decent LED-LCD make it look like jesus himself crafted the damn thing.
3. The thinness factor is indeed a good thing and if you are looking for that, its money well spent.
4. The energy consumption factor is another good thing, though it depends on how long you will use said tv. In the end we are talking of around maybe 50-100usd a year of savings (and thats on ny state, where power is costly)

This LG does local dimming, so LEDs should provide more contrast here...

For the uninitiated, local dimming means that wherever there is pitch black in the screen, the backlight leds on that portion of the screen will be dimmed or outright turned off.

This LG does local dimming, so LEDs should provide more contrast here...

It is edge lit local dimming which isn't that hot. In fact edge lit LED it's that good at all. There are major uniformity issues with the sets of all major brands. More time is needed to get the light distribution perfected.

If you want an LED set there is really only one to get right now and it's a Vizio! No joke!

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-...-34122871.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody;1r

Just a question...has anyone seen a major brand (such as LG, Panasonic, etc...) have a 42" LED for under $900? That's really the reason I posted the deal. Is it the *best* LED? Heck no. Personally I'm waiting for the LG Infinia 50PK950 to hit under this same price margin and I'll scoop it up. But again, if you want LED that is reasonable quality for under $900, this is your deal ATM.

It is edge lit local dimming which isn't that hot. In fact edge lit LED it's that good at all. There are major uniformity issues with the sets of all major brands. More time is needed to get the light distribution perfected.

If you want an LED set there is really only one to get right now and it's a Vizio! No joke!

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-...-34122871.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody;1r

Wait, I thought the 5500 are ones with local dimming..... Under it's features said it features local dimming. And I was unaware that local dimming can be done edgelit....

Wait, I thought the 5500 are ones with local dimming..... Under it's features said it features local dimming. And I was unaware that local dimming can be done edgelit....

Yeah it's a half ass local dimming. The best way to do it is from behind the panel and have more zones like the Vizio does. It still has it's own set of issues but is currently the top rated LED set for 2010.

I got the 55" version of this from last year from Costco for a mega deal (model 55LH90). The thing is an absolute beast, I love LG TVs and monitors.

EDIT: Well, actually, reading closer mine is 240 hz and full array backlit, so not the same tech. Just saw the model numbers and didn't think there, sorry.

I got the 55" version of this from last year from Costco for a mega deal (model 55LH90). The thing is an absolute beast, I love LG TVs and monitors.

EDIT: Well, actually, reading closer mine is 240 hz and full array backlit, so not the same tech. Just saw the model numbers and didn't think there, sorry.
The LH90 you have is a highly rated LCD, and yes it's full array LED backlight with local dimming.

Hold onto that sucker for all it's worth, and keep a warranty on it.

Sorry sacks in this thread crapping all over it.

No one is thread crapping. No one is saying "OMG YOU %#$%#@$% WHAT AN AWFUL DEAL!!" People are just providing information and opinions so that buyers can make an informed decision. No need to go on a witch hunt any time someone offers up any advice that isn't glowing praise. The term "thread crap" seems so overused these days.

CCFL LCDs will dominate almost all content shown on them. For the true enthusiasts in LCD, full lighting from LEDs is the way to go (even if thinness is sacrificed). The XBR8 was probably the pinnacle, near Kuro quality. And LG is very good, IMO.

CCFL LCDs will dominate almost all content shown on them. For the true enthusiasts in LCD, full lighting from LEDs is the way to go (even if thinness is sacrificed). The XBR8 was probably the pinnacle, near Kuro quality. And LG is very good, IMO.

The XBR8 while ugly, had one hell of a picture. The RGB backlit LEDs were ahead of what anyone had or even Sony current has at the moment. The 909 series is close.

$21 is "much cheaper"..?? Granted, it is a better deal to get it for less...that's always a standard. However, does "Video & Audio Center" have as good of Reseller Ratings or handle returns/etc as well as NewEgg? Hardly. New deals come out each day. The Amazon link was posted 1 day after I posted the NewEgg deal... not a jaw-dropper IMO.

Obviously you missed the amazon.com deal and now only see the other seller.

It's still $21 cheaper nonetheless which is why I pointed it out to others, why are you getting upset? *shrug*

Back