LG 31MU97

You more than likely have the brightness cranked way too high.

Try Daywalker's settings at the bottom of this page (Use google translate): http://prohardver.hu/teszt/lg_31um97_digital_cinema_4k_ips_monitor/meresek_kalibralas.html

The default white point is actually 6407, putting it under the industry standard target of 6500k; the image is not "too blue".

Alternatively, try sitting farther back. I actually had eye-strain when I received my BL3200T, largely because I was too close and unable to fill my field of vision with the entirety of the monitor (eyes moving around constantly).

Edit: The S27B970D uses edge-to-edge glass and is extremely glossy/reflective. It's possible that the LG's matte coating is bothering you compared to your old monitor's lack thereof.

Yes my S27B970D is extremly reflective, why did they chose this type of material? Anyways I did overcome it for the most part of the 18 months I used it for. Now the LG is only a lil reflective compared to that.

Well the brightness was at 60, so I toned it down to 50 and my eyes dont get sore as quick but they still do get sore unfortunately. I havent touched any other setting or calibration as I have no knowledge im those areas. It seems very vibrant to me out of the box so it's good for me.

I just wish there were graphics cards capable of playing the latest games @ 4K max detail no AA, at a minimum of 35 fps. I spent close to $5K on a new rig and includes 2x MSI 980 Gamings, and yet still can't get a total smooth experience in Watch Dogs, DA:I or Crysis3. Guess I'm gonna have to wait for 390x or GM200 series.

Well the brightness was at 60, so I toned it down to 50 and my eyes dont get sore as quick but they still do get sore unfortunately. I havent touched any other setting or calibration as I have no knowledge im those areas. It seems very vibrant to me out of the box so it's good for me.

Your brightness is way too high, which is why I suggested using Daywalker's settings. Look at the graph he posted here: http://prohardver.hu/teszt/lg_31um97_digital_cinema_4k_ips_monitor/tovabbi_meresek.html

50-60% brightness is well over 200 cd/m2, which unbelievably high; you're basically killing your eyes by using this level of brightness.

Try going down to 10% brightness, which is 101 cd/m2, or use Daywalker's settings to hopefully get around 120 cd/m2.

Last edited:
I just got this display, running with a 650 Ti BOOST (I don't game at all). Default resolution is 4096x2160 50Hz, works fine but is a little jittery at 50Hz. I tried creating custom resolutions, but Nvidia Control Panel only lets me set up to 57Hz. I can try to create a 60Hz setting, it will seem to test the 60Hz setting, but the screen will only blank for a fraction of a second and look normal, thus "passing" the test, but the refresh rate is still the previous setting since when really changing the resolution/refresh rate the display blanks out for over a second, and 60Hz isn't displayed as a custom resolution.

Should I upgrade to a newer video card?

Not sure why the monitor is listed at 27" in the driver info.

After playing around a bit with custom resolutions in the NVidia control panel, I have been able to get up to 57 Hz now on my GTX 670 at 4096x2160 using CVT Reduced Blank.

Last edited:
Yes my S27B970D is extremly reflective, why did they chose this type of material? Anyways I did overcome it for the most part of the 18 months I used it for. Now the LG is only a lil reflective compared to that.

I just wish there were graphics cards capable of playing the latest games @ 4K max detail no AA, at a minimum of 35 fps. I spent close to $5K on a new rig and includes 2x MSI 980 Gamings, and yet still can't get a total smooth experience in Watch Dogs, DA:I or Crysis3. Guess I'm gonna have to wait for 390x or GM200 series.

In DAI turn off post processing AA. Set post Post Processing Effects and Shadows to "High" instead of "Ultra".

Instant 40% fps boost lol.

In DAI turn off post processing AA. Set post Post Processing Effects and Shadows to "High" instead of "Ultra".

Instant 40% fps boost lol.

Well I didn't want to spend $5K on a rig to tone down settings. How can my rig not play it on Ultra detail normally, what were they thinking when they designed the game, that max settings (-AA) you need $10K rig, or is it just bad programming?

I will wait till patches/drivers fix the poor performance or when they release hardware that can run it at max.

EDIT: Well the actual in-game plays ok, its just the cut scenes are like a choppy glitched out slideshow, I would miss half the game if I could not watch the cut scenes properly.

Your brightness is way too high, which is why I suggested using Daywalker's settings. Look at the graph he posted here: http://prohardver.hu/teszt/lg_31um97_digital_cinema_4k_ips_monitor/tovabbi_meresek.html

50-60% brightness is well over 200 cd/m2, which unbelievably high; you're basically killing your eyes by using this level of brightness.

Try going down to 10% brightness, which is 101 cd/m2, or use Daywalker's settings to hopefully get around 120 cd/m2.

I don't understand any of that website. I translated it via google, but I don't see any steps or anything how to use Daywalker's settings. I don't have a calibrater tool either, can I still use his settings and how do I do it?

I don't understand any of that website. I translated it via google, but I don't see any steps or anything how to use Daywalker's settings. I don't have a calibrater tool either, can I still use his settings and how do I do it?

Brightness: 16
Red: 47
Green: 45
Blue: 54

If you want to, you can download and install his ICC profile here: http://prohardver.hu/dl/cnt/2014-12/114158/31mu97_120cdm2_d6500_2_2.icm

Change the settings atleast, or alternatively just lower the brightness; your call.

Anything is better than having the brightness cranked as you do right now.

Brightness: 16
Red: 47
Green: 45
Blue: 54

If you want to, you can download and install his ICC profile here: http://prohardver.hu/dl/cnt/2014-12/114158/31mu97_120cdm2_d6500_2_2.icm

Change the settings atleast, or alternatively just lower the brightness; your call.

Anything is better than having the brightness cranked as you do right now.

Are they the only settings I change? That seems simple.

I didn't notice much besides the birghtness go down lol

Do i change those settings on my Monitor settings and use that profile or should I do one or the other? And how do I use that profile?

Are they the only settings I change? That seems simple.

I didn't notice much besides the birghtness go down lol

Do i change those settings on my Monitor settings and use that profile or should I do one or the other? And how do I use that profile?

Changing the settings and using the profile will yield the best result.

Download the profile from the link, then I recommend using color sustainer to install the profile: http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/color_sustainer_download.html

It's pretty self-explanatory from there.

OK thanks, I already tried installing it using windows color management, is this bad idea? should I restore defaults and use that other program you linked me?

OK thanks, I already tried installing it using windows color management, is this bad idea? should I restore defaults and use that other program you linked me?

Installing it via color management is fine.

Color sustainer is generally easier to recommend and it enables ICC profiles in games, which generally use their own color specifications as opposed to ICC profiles.

I am using brightness 16 as you suggested Nikyo, but I don't know if it's me just being use to high brightness but 16 feels a tad dark for me. But my eyes dont get sore at this level.

Not sure wheather to leave it at 16 or increase it.

I am using brightness 16 as you suggested Nikyo, but I don't know if it's me just being use to high brightness but 16 feels a tad dark for me. But my eyes dont get sore at this level.

Not sure wheather to leave it at 16 or increase it.

It's kind of like a placebo thing; your eyes aren't used to the lower brightness yet and you're missing that 'pop' to the colors. I recommend leaving your computer for 15-20 minutes and then coming back. Your eyes will hopefully have adjusted by then.

I ended up increasing the brightness back up to 40 while gaming then down to 30.

I found 16 was just was too dark, it really made gaming feel unpleasant, because my vision just seemed very dimm. I might drop it from 30 to 25.

I ended up increasing the brightness back up to 40 while gaming then down to 30.

I found 16 was just was too dark, it really made gaming feel unpleasant, because my vision just seemed very dimm. I might drop it from 30 to 25.

Yeah, I mean occasionally you just have to adjust the brightness based on your own eyes. Hopefully you won't run into anymore issues with eyestrain. If you do, I recommend buying some bias lighting to attach to the back of your monitor, or pick up a lamp and throw a 5000k 60w equivalent LED light bulb in it and stick it behind your monitor. Both are actually generally pretty good for increasing your perceived black depth as well as helping combat eyestrain.

---------------------

Question for any owner: Have you tried your LG with any console games (PS3, PS4)? If so, how does the interpolation @ 720p and 1080p look? I'm curious as to whether or not this monitor employs bilinear filtering or pixel doubling at smaller resolutions and how it handles 16:9 content being 17:9.

Reading over Daywalker's review he seemed fairly impressed, but I can only interpret so much with google translate.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I just got this display, running with a 650 Ti BOOST (I don't game at all). Default resolution is 4096x2160 50Hz, works fine but is a little jittery at 50Hz. I tried creating custom resolutions, but Nvidia Control Panel only lets me set up to 57Hz. I can try to create a 60Hz setting, it will seem to test the 60Hz setting, but the screen will only blank for a fraction of a second and look normal, thus "passing" the test, but the refresh rate is still the previous setting since when really changing the resolution/refresh rate the display blanks out for over a second, and 60Hz isn't displayed as a custom resolution.

Should I upgrade to a newer video card?

To answer my own question, I got a Geforce 970, and now the display runs at 60Hz, didn't have to do anything but plug it in. Works great, no flickering or other problems using a cheap 6ft DP-DP cable from Amazon.

My Quadro card (K4000) according to the specifications, supports up to the resolution of 3840 x 2160 at 60Hz. Would that mean it won't be able to do 4096x2160 at 60Hz?

Considering that the LG can be had for much less than the u32d970q, the Samsung's price is hard to justify even though I certainly prefer a 16:9 monitor over a 17:9 one.

Hi All,

Just got the LG 31MU97. I used to have a Samsung SA850 monitor that had excellent whites. This monitor seems to have a yellowish tint on the Whites.

Please could someone help with the settings so I may improve my white levels on the Monitor.

Thanks.

Hi All,

Just got the LG 31MU97. I used to have a Samsung SA850 monitor that had excellent whites. This monitor seems to have a yellowish tint on the Whites.

Please could someone help with the settings so I may improve my white levels on the Monitor.

Thanks.

Go back a page and look at the settings I posted from Daywalker's review.

Any comments on the input lag? I would be coming from PG278Q....

I play alot of games on mine, Starcraft 2, L4D2, CSGO and some other and don't have any issue with input lagg, it is definatly fine.

But I did come from a Samsung S27B970D so it's not like I have experienced any of the super snappy gaming monitors.

What is the best way to calibrate this display with the i1 Display pro? What backlight setting (Wide Gamut or WLed or RGB Led should I use?)

I play alot of games on mine, Starcraft 2, L4D2, CSGO and some other and don't have any issue with input lagg, it is definatly fine.

But I did come from a Samsung S27B970D so it's not like I have experienced any of the super snappy gaming monitors.

Thanks! Any comments on BF4? (online)

Thank you Nikyo. Still trying to improve Whites in Word , Excel and Browser Windows.

I am so used to the Samsung SA850 Whites that this Monitor seems yellowish on a White Background in the above applications. I tried installing the Profile you mentioned but did not help.

Do you have any experience with the LG True Pro Color App.

Thank you Nikyo. Still trying to improve Whites in Word , Excel and Browser Windows.

I am so used to the Samsung SA850 Whites that this Monitor seems yellowish on a White Background in the above applications. I tried installing the Profile you mentioned but did not help.

Do you have any experience with the LG True Pro Color App.

I've never personally used it, but a user in the LG 27MB85R-B's thread made out fine with it.

It's always possible that your SA850 had a very high out of box color temperature, which in comparison, would make your LG look too warm if that's what you're used to. Granted, changing the settings to Daywalker's and using his ICC profile is not really a calibration, but should in theory get you on the right track to a white point of 6500K (industry standard).

I really recommend giving the included calibration tool + the true color app a try.

Will do that. Thank you Nikyo. I agree that the Samsung must have had a high color temperature out of the Box.

I will try to increase the Color Temperature on this and see what happens to the Whites.

Also I am getting 4096 * 2160 @ 60 Hz on an Nvidia GTX 750 Ti.

The Monitor has an excellent build and so far I am very happy. Will try to improve the Whites.

Thanks! Any comments on BF4? (online)

I havent played BF4, but considering I play alot of CSGO which is pretty fast paced. I did not have any issue with input lag and I was in many AWP 1v1 situations, where you have to be super quick/responsive and have won many times which leads me to believe the monitor is more than capable and does not have any input lag issues. So you should be fine with BF4 too.

Does anyone have problems with an uneven display. The LG31MU97 I received has warmer/yellow color on the left and especially on the right border and on the bottom part of the screen. The top and middle are noticeably cooler. It is the most visible on lighter to mid gray backgrounds.

It is very faint, but the backlight on the two LG 31MU97 screens I have are not uniform. They have darker and light areas, and are slightly warmer in the corners and the bottom of the screen.

Yes I have the same problem. Slightly warmer on lower part of the Screen on left side . The panel does seem slightly uneven. The top and middle are OK on lighter backgrounds.

But overall very satisfied. It is the best 31" - 32 " 4k panel out there as of now. Lots of issues with other alternatives ( Benq , Acer etc.)

Yes I have the same problem. Slightly warmer on lower part of the Screen on left side . The panel does seem slightly uneven. The top and middle are OK on lighter backgrounds.

But overall very satisfied. It is the best 31" - 32 " 4k panel out there as of now. Lots of issues with other alternatives ( Benq , Acer etc.)

Have you seen the other panels in person? Just curious.

I would like to see the Phillips 40" 4K, just because of its sheer size. Don't know how good the quality of the panel is though, probably no where near as good as the LG but still would like to check one out.

Also what issues do these other manufacturers have?

Have you seen the other panels in person? Just curious.

I would like to see the Phillips 40" 4K, just because of its sheer size. Don't know how good the quality of the panel is though, probably no where near as good as the LG but still would like to check one out.

Also what issues do these other manufacturers have?

I have had two of the BenQ BL3201PT. The first was uneven (warm on one side cool on the other), and it had a bad green shift. The other was better but also the same green/yellow hue problem, I could not get rid of it with manual calibration and calibration with the i1 Display pro.

I have had two of the BenQ BL3201PT. The first was uneven (warm on one side cool on the other), and it had a bad green shift. The other was better but also the same green/yellow hue problem, I could not get rid of it with manual calibration and calibration with the i1 Display pro.

Did you keep it or got rid of it?

Did you keep it or got rid of it?

I have returned the Benq displays and I will order a third LG just to try one more time. I have the impression I got previously returned displays the last times. I really like the the overall panel quality of the LG display, just the uneven color is a problem.

Last edited:
I cant tell about the color uniformity. But my panel definitely is uneven on a white background.

The top half is cooler (whiter) than the lower half. Does anyone else see this on a white background.

Is this normal for IPS Panels. I used to have a Samsung PLS Panel which did not have this property.

Hi there,

I just got a new LG 31MU97 monitor a few days ago and today I just experienced a weird behaviour.

I am using an MSI GTX 980 and when I plugged it to the DisplayPort connector it worked like a charm and recognised the display and automaticaly set the resolution to 4096x2160 Recommended.
I took a picture of it as I wanted to send it to a friend in a text message (attached image 1):

Image_1.jpg

Today, I just realized that the resolution changed to 3840x2160 without doing anything, so I went to change it back and to my surprise, the resolution of 4096x2160 disapeared (I cannot set it to that resolution anymore) and the 3840x2160 was set as the recommende one (attached image 2):

Image_2.jpg

I have not changed the NVIDIA Drivers they are the last versión from Nvidia site since the day I got the Monitor as there have been no updates to those driver.

I tried everything that I can imagine, forcing the resolution in the Nvidia panel, trying to set the resolution manually... but I have not been able to get it back to "auto-detect" the 4096x2160 Recommended resolution.

Has anybody a clue on what can be the issue?
Any idea of what maybe hapening?

Thank you for your comments.

Back