LG 27MU67 - 27" 4k Monitor with AMD Freesync

Nikyo

Gawd
LG are set to release a new 27" screen in their gaming range of monitors. The 27MU67 is interesting though as it's an IPS-type panel with UltraHD 3840 x 2160 resolution, and support for AMD FreeSync dynamic refresh rate. The spec for the screen is not currently listed beyond that, but we expect something in the region of 4ms G2G response time, 1000:1 contrast ratio, 178/178 viewing angles and a 60Hz refresh rate. We do know that the screen offers a 99% sRGB gamut and 10-bit colour depth. There are connections for HDMI x2, DisplayPort, Mini DP and audio out.

The webpage talks about a couple of other features included here, like the 4-screen split for mulit-tasking (PiP) and game mode with Black Stabiliser.

The screen is listed on LG's Australian website with a retail price of $799 AU dollars.

Source: LG
(via TFTcentral)

Sounds cool - appears to be relatively cheap, too.

Sigh...another 4k display that's smaller than 30 inches. It's great that more and more options are becoming available but what about some 32+ inch 4k freesync/gsync monitors? :(

Bump.

Interested in this. Do we have any further news on it? A release date, anything?

Monitor has been released, though I've had a tough time gathering more information about it from review sites and message boards.

I've ordered one, it should arrive this week if all goes well. Newegg ships overnight packages via UPS, correct? It said that it couldn't verify my address with USPS, but I've had packages shipped to the address successfully many times before so long as they aren't USPS.

Just got mine in the mail yesterday.

4k really makes a big difference. The colors are outstanding, and the input lag is negligible. I strongly recommend it to anyone looking to upgrade to 4k. I'm currently hunting for lightbleed on mine to ensure that it doesn't have any, but otherwise there are no appreciable defects. The coating on it seems just a tad more strong than my old VP2770, but not by much.

What really surprised me was how well 4k handled on my machine. Of course, it wasn't running Crysis at 4k or anything, but Arkham Asylum ran fairly well, and most of the games that I play aren't very demanding to begin with. My 7970 should be more than enough to get me by until I can afford a true "4k" card.

Desktop usage and web browsing clarity skyrocketed. It really does look like a giant retina display; don't believe others who may claim otherwise. There is indeed noteworthy difference between 1440p and 4k in just about all usage cases, and Windows 10 scaling has handled it all wonderfully.

Good purchase, recommended.

EDIT: I will say this though; My eyes tire rather quickly from looking at it. I do hope that its truly flicker free. The advertising for it was rather dodgy in that regard: flicker "safe", eliminates flicker to "near" zero.

Last edited:
The above links me to a Destiny gameplay video. I don't see an illustration proving the lack of PWM in this video; am I supposed to be seeing something related to this monitor? Not that I doubt you, but I'm a bit confused by the link.

Looks like he accidentally posted the wrong link; refer to the graph on this page to see that it's PWM free at all brightness levels.

So is it 100% flicker free, then?

For some reason, it's really been hurting my eyes. I've tried turning the brightness down to 20% and activating Reader Mode, but the VP2770 is still far and away more comfortable to stare at. I can't figure it out.

The brightness chart on PRAD has this strange zig-zag pattern to it:
2j1ajup.jpg

Maybe it hurts because 4K is too small for 27'' and thats uncomfortable for your eyes.

I tried running at non-native resolutions, and have the scaling set to 175% in 4k; Thats a decent thought, though. I did consider it.

I'm honestly very confused over it. Does the zig-zagging pattern of the backlight testing results from Prad imply any sort of flickering at all, even if not PWM (fully on to fully off)?

I noticed that the result for the VP2770 was more of a curve.

I tried running at non-native resolutions, and have the scaling set to 175% in 4k; Thats a decent thought, though. I did consider it.

I'm honestly very confused over it. Does the zig-zagging pattern of the backlight testing results from Prad imply any sort of flickering at all, even if not PWM (fully on to fully off)?

I noticed that the result for the VP2770 was more of a curve.

No, the result is entirely normal. You can read the (google translate) caption above the graph for more information.

PRAD said:
The backlight of the LG 27MU67-B works with White LED and lights up continuously. The comparison in the chart shows both full even with reduced adjustment of brightness, the luminous flux is not interrupted, as would be the case with PWM backlights. Thus, the monitor is also at reduced brightness is not particularly hard on the eyes.

You can also test for PWM yourself using testufo, if you're still concerned; though, you've no reason to be.

The only practical cause of eyestrain in this scenario would be monitor brightness, and potentially DPI settings.

so, does this monitor use the same panel as the dell P2715Q? I had to return two of them because of yellow tinting and color uniformity.

Today I am happy owner of this monitor, the monitor is superb, screen uniformity is very good, with no bleeding and no dead pixels .
Monitor uses the same panel as Dell P2715Q, but in my opinion the LG is better because it has no problems with DP.
Black level is good, pretty much the same with more old Benq BL2411PT, contrast just as great for a display with IPS panel.
It shows the same IPS glow but I expected this from an IPS.
The screen surface is light mate, more light mate compared to the old Benq, coating is present but doesn't bother me, it's quite subtle.
On the whole i am very pleased with the monitor, the picture is very sharp and the density of pixels is incredible.
A month ago I had a Dell P2415Q, but I had to return it due to problems with the port of DP and bleeding and he had 3 dead pixels.
LG 27MU67 is much better compared to Dell P2415Q.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/14903909@N06/22244212462/in/dateposted-friend/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/14903909@N06/21635996163/in/dateposted-friend/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/14903909@N06/22230941136/in/dateposted-friend/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/14903909@N06/22257015765/in/dateposted-friend/

Last edited:
Today I am happy owner of this monitor, the monitor is superb, screen uniformity is very good, with no bleeding and no dead pixels .
Monitor uses the same panel as Dell P2715Q, but in my opinion the LG is better because it has no problems with DP.
Black level is good, pretty much the same with more old Benq BL2411PT, contrast just as great for a display with IPS panel.
It shows the same IPS glow but I expected this from an IPS.
The screen surface is light mate, more light mate compared to the old Benq, coating is present but doesn't bother me, it's quite subtle.
On the whole i am very pleased with the monitor, the picture is very sharp and the density of pixels is incredible.
A month ago I had a Dell P2415Q, but I had to return it due to problems with the port of DP and bleeding and he had 3 dead pixels.
LG 27MU67 is much better compared to Dell P2415Q.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/14903909@N06/22244212462/in/dateposted-friend/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/14903909@N06/21635996163/in/dateposted-friend/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/14903909@N06/22230941136/in/dateposted-friend/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/14903909@N06/22257015765/in/dateposted-friend/

It is small for 4k on 27 inch?

Perfect application of Freesync IMO. I haven't had experience with adaptive sync tech yet, but based on my experience with higher hz monitors, 4K 60hz with a framerate frequently dropping lower is the prime target for it. I don't think I'd get a 4K monitor without adaptive sync, but simultaneously I don't think I'd drop 200 bucks extra for a G-Sync module, so this 530$ monitor is perfect.

Did you do any calibration? Mine has a bluish tint on white colors and the reds are a bit washed out. I switched to 2.4 gamma and it seemed to improve things a bit but still not really there.

No, i don't have a calibrator, i set gama also to 2,4 and for me is very good, with the gama range set to 2.2, has indeed a bluish tint.

Has anyone been able to get the Freesync range down to 35-60 Hz on this monitor? I know there was a thread talking about how to do it for other monitors, but I wasn't sure if it was specific screens or a generic change. I've got one coming in the mail soon and I'm hoping it works well on my 290x crossfire setup. Worst case scenario I give it to my wife since she does occasional Photoshop and Illustrator work.

Has anyone been able to get the Freesync range down to 35-60 Hz on this monitor? I know there was a thread talking about how to do it for other monitors, but I wasn't sure if it was specific screens or a generic change. I've got one coming in the mail soon and I'm hoping it works well on my 290x crossfire setup. Worst case scenario I give it to my wife since she does occasional Photoshop and Illustrator work.

It works for all freesync screens. That's comething your gonna have to try yourself and let us know the results

It works for all freesync screens. That's comething your gonna have to try yourself and let us know the results

It should arrive Monday. I'll report back. I pretty much only play World of Warcraft, Heroes of the Storm, StarCraft 2, and Counter-strike so nothing that should be too taxing at 4k.

I followed the guide and set the new minimum to 33hz. I *think* it is working, but I may need more tools to observe FPS in games. I was mostly above 40hz in everything I was playing, and when I ran the windmill demo it wouldn't let me toggle Freesync on/off, and 45 FPS was the lowest frame rate option. I have Freesync turned on in the monitor menu, and in the catalyst panel as well. The resolution is great, and games look amazing on it. After a slight tweak to the DPI in Windows 10 everything looks a little easier to see and read.

Only problem is that I have two 23.1 inch monitors on either side, and now everything on them looks ridiculous (icons and other items effected from DPI tweak). Out of the box the colors are great and I'm looking forward to some minor calibration to further improve them.

I need to play more games and experiment further with Freesync, but I might be missing the 90-144hz I was getting on my old monitor, and 27 inches is probably truly too small for 4k in an environment where you intent to use non 4k monitors as well.

@ Dan UCF, did you find DAS mode in menu settings of the monitor ?
I don't find, I don't know where is the DAS mode !

I didn't look directly for that setting, but when I'm home after work tonight I'll look for DAS mode.

Back