27EA83R
http://www.lg.com/au/it-monitors/lg-27EA83R
- AH-IPS
- Light AG
- SRGB 100% / 8 bit
- Hardware calibration ready
- External calibrator

Korean review (3 parts)
1/3. Exterior & OSD http://bbs.danawa.com/view.php?board=28&seq=2330125&page=&site=
2/3. Calibration & Features http://bbs.danawa.com/view.php?board=28&seq=2330979&page=&site=
3/3. Operations & Thoughts http://bbs.danawa.com/view.php?board=28&seq=2333180&page=&site=

Review; overclocks to 99hz
http://www.gadgetreview.com/2013/03/lg-27ea83-d-27-inch-colorprime-ips-led-wqhd-monitor-review.html

Last edited:
Looks awesome how does this compare to the u2713h

27ea83_u2713h.png

Last edited:
Digitally V75hz support,
Keep in mind that it has a scaler + OSD which likely means 16-20ms of input lag, therefore from what i understand, the 72~75hz overclockable refresh would not be as useful because of this. Someone please either elaborate or correct me if i'm wrong.

Other things to consider are the bundled calibration equipment, and a 1 year warranty vs 3 years for the Dell.

I didn't notice the actual measured contrast ratio in the review you linked, but i only skimmed the article and probably overlooked it.

LG's product pages blow Dell's out of the water, but as far as I know Dell offers better exchange services. Wish the stand's neck was black too, the silver looks silly.

http://diy.pconline.com.cn/display/reviews/1212/3133321_all.html

Their unit looks pretty bad color wise in the above review:

WideGamutLG_zpsacead2ba.png

WideGamutLG2_zps7a913ba3.png

This is going to be the first major LG IPS monitor released in year since their 30."

I almost bought one of these (the -D japan version) from frys for 999. But my CC flagged it as fraud so it never went through.. been resisting the temptation since then, now think the Dell version might be better.

Just picked one up at Fry's. I'm going to compare it against the Viewsonic VP 2770 that I also own but I can tell you guys right now that if you don't mind adobe rgb gamut, this thing is a lot nicer than the Viewsonic. I'd say its similar to Dell U2713H but it doesn't have the crap Dell coating or QC issues.

Load up something with people and look at some sun-burned/very tanned skin tones on the LG and see if you can notice the very strong green, orange and red saturation vs. the Viewsonic. I couldn't stand it on the U2713H I had compared to my sRGB displays.

Does Frys sell the 8 bit version as well? I would imagine that works better than the 10bit in sRGB emulation mode.

Load up something with people and look at some sun-burned/very tanned skin tones on the LG and see if you can notice the very strong green, orange and red saturation vs. the Viewsonic. I couldn't stand it on the U2713H I had compared to my sRGB displays.

Just did that, it honestly looks quite natural to me. But then again I live in Scottsdale so a lot of the girls here are tanned. I don't see green/orange undertones, just a natural looking tan. It's definitely more saturated vs sRGB like the Viewsonic but not in a bad way either.

Does Frys sell the 8 bit version as well? I would imagine that works better than the 10bit in sRGB emulation mode.

They didn't have it at the Fry's I was at.

So, 5150Joker, any more thoughts on this monitor? I'm holding out on purchasing anything until I get a solid review on this one (or preferebly the sRGB version of this, the 27EA83R). It's between this and the VP2770 for me.

So, 5150Joker, any more thoughts on this monitor? I'm holding out on purchasing anything until I get a solid review on this one (or preferebly the sRGB version of this, the 27EA83R). It's between this and the VP2770 for me.

I absolutely love it. I also have the Viewsonic VP2770 and I think the LG is a much better display in both quality + picture. Of course I should preface this post by saying that I like bright displays with a lot of pop and this display delivers in spades. The Viewsonic is also an excellent display, probably one of the best sRGB ones available right now. If you value sRGB color and want everything 100% accurate for a decent price, go for the Viewsonic. If you have tolerance for more saturation and pop (and no increasing DV in NCP doesn't achieve nearly the same effect), then grab the LG and don't look back.

I got the X-Rite i1Display Pro today and was fooling around with it. Still getting the hang of it and other programs but I calibrated it for 300 nits (like I said, I like my stuff bright) and it looks great. Not the best or most accurate results out there but good enough for me until I get better with the calibrator. Out of the box, the LG native mode is very well calibrated and I think most would be pleased.

The build quality is very good, the inputs face you (rather than downward) so they're easy to get to. If you plan to wall mount this display, that would make it a challenge but not impossible. Also, the panel is semi glossy which is great since you get nice deep colors and less reflection.

It has tons of customization options in the menu (e.g. 6 point color adjustment) so you can set it however you please. Also has built in speakers although I don't use mine at all.

Mine has no backlight bleeding, no stuck dirt (I had 3 viewsonic vp2770's all with dirt or dead pixels) or dead pixels. The biggest con about this display is the price, it costs $999 + tax and the 350 cd/m2 brightness is misleading, you will likely top out at a max of 325. It's definitely a keeper for me though.

I absolutely love it. I also have the Viewsonic VP2770 and I think the LG is a much better display in both quality + picture. Of course I should preface this post by saying that I like bright displays with a lot of pop and this display delivers in spades. The Viewsonic is also an excellent display, probably one of the best sRGB ones available right now. If you value sRGB color and want everything 100% accurate for a decent price, go for the Viewsonic. If you have tolerance for more saturation and pop (and no increasing DV in NCP doesn't achieve nearly the same effect), then grab the LG and don't look back.

I got the X-Rite i1Display Pro today and was fooling around with it. Still getting the hang of it and other programs but I calibrated it for 300 nits (like I said, I like my stuff bright) and it looks great. Not the best or most accurate results out there but good enough for me until I get better with the calibrator. Out of the box, the LG native mode is very well calibrated and I think most would be pleased.

The build quality is very good, the inputs face you (rather than downward) so they're easy to get to. If you plan to wall mount this display, that would make it a challenge but not impossible. Also, the panel is semi glossy which is great since you get nice deep colors and less reflection.

It has tons of customization options in the menu (e.g. 6 point color adjustment) so you can set it however you please. Also has built in speakers although I don't use mine at all.

Mine has no backlight bleeding, no stuck dirt (I had 3 viewsonic vp2770's all with dirt or dead pixels) or dead pixels. The biggest con about this display is the price, it costs $999 + tax and the 350 cd/m2 brightness is misleading, you will likely top out at a max of 325. It's definitely a keeper for me though.

What about responsiveness for gaming? Do you have any way of comparing the 2 monitors? I been keeping my eye on both, but always find a reason not to spend the money :)

What about responsiveness for gaming? Do you have any way of comparing the 2 monitors? I been keeping my eye on both, but always find a reason not to spend the money :)

They both have response adjustments for low/medium/high and they feel about the same tbh. The Dell 2713H which supposedly shares the same panel as the LG has a higher input lag but I don't see or feel the difference. If anything, I see less ghosting on the LG vs Viewsonic and input lag is about the same. I tested this by cloning both and playing BF3 and keeping an eye on them.

If you're coming from a good TN panel, you will probably feel the increased lag.

Anyone know if these are on display at Microcenters? I know they have them in stock at stores, just curious if I stop in if I'll get to see one.

That article says there's no way to tell if the monitor you have has it or not which is a bummer. Tempted to contact LG and find out because this can really burn early adopters that are stuck with an older firmware. Then again it is only 1 frame so its not huge but still there nonetheless. Hoping to see LG release the firmware publicly eventually.

Edit: Had my gf (who's Korean) write playwares and find out if we can get in touch with LG in Korea to find out.

Last edited:
Ok, I've been eyeing this monitor for a while along with the new Dell U3014.

I need some advice.

I'm currently using a Dell 3008 monitor driven by quad sli gtx 690s.

I'm constantly in front of a pc from about 9:30am to 1:30am.

Recently, I've been told that I have some axial elongation going on with my left eye where it's basically 3.5 diopters different from my right eye. Basically, -11.5 in the left vs. -8 in the right (for all you people who wear glasses).

I take all the precautions with breaks in between and proper lighting. Just luck of the draw with bad vision since I was young. I thought it stabilized but recently eyes have been bothering me. Thus, my vision is going to hell.

So, what I was curious is it better to go with this LG monitor or the Dell u3014.

Is more real estate a better choice or this one?

Any advice would be welcome.

THANKS!

The difference between the old and new firmware is one of the main reasons I haven't bought one of those LG's yet. I actually did buy one from Fry's like a month or so ago, and my creditcard flagged it for fraud protection so it didn't go through... then I decided I want to wait and not be impulsive :)

The difference between the old and new firmware is one of the main reasons I haven't bought one of those LG's yet. I actually did buy one from Fry's like a month or so ago, and my creditcard flagged it for fraud protection so it didn't go through... then I decided I want to wait and not be impulsive :)

I'm betting they will release the updated firmware eventually.

So basically this is the second monitor that LG has gone to reviewers and said here is an updated model, update your review, but have yet to release the updated version?

Once. Okay, I'll be the line they were selling. Twice, it seems like bullshit and appears shady.

I now kinda of agree with posters on Anandtech that said it was irresponsible to update the 29EA83 review. Who knows when or if this magical firmware will actually be in these monitors.

Last edited:
So basically this is the second monitor that LG has gone to reviewers and said here is an updated model, update your review, but have yet to release the updated version?

Once. Okay, I'll be the line they were selling. Twice, it seems like bullshit and appears shady.

I now kinda of agree with posters on Anandtech that said it was irresponsible to update the 29EA83 review. Who knows when or if this magical firmware will actually be in these monitors.

It is definitely b.s. of LG to be pushing updated firmware monitors on reviewers which consumers have no idea how to differentiate between the old and new one. LG is not giving any answers either and acts like there is no difference. This sort of shady behavior really needs to be exposed and I can't believe Anandtech was making excuses for LG. Really makes me question anything they publish.

I'm glad this reviewer echoed what I've been saying all along: This is one sweet display with awesome colors that pop out at you. The blacks are quite deep and the response time is great. I just tested it against the VP2770 I have sitting next to me in PixPerAn and there was less streaking with the LG vs Viewsonic. This is my second unit (first one had 2 dead pixels) and so far, *knock on wood*, this one is perfect with no backlight bleed or dead pixels. I made a few (crappy cell phone) vids here in a rush yesterday:

Unboxing: http://youtu.be/BZ1QHSKqF6Q
Quick overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORts9RYOeYA

I plan to do a real review once I get my AV equipment sent here from home. Warning: don't turn up your speakers, my cell phone was running low on battery and you can hear the warning sound through the vid.

Last edited:
Can I use an i1 Display Pro with this monitor? Or would I have to use the LG branded calibrator? I ask because I use OS X and don't think I can use the LG Calibration software, as it's not compatible with OS X.

This monitor does not have an internal, programmable LUT, am i correct?

Also, is there any review which discusses the displays emulation of the sRGB space? How accurate is it?

Last edited:
Can I use an i1 Display Pro with this monitor? Or would I have to use the LG branded calibrator? I ask because I use OS X and don't think I can use the LG Calibration software, as it's not compatible with OS X.

This monitor does not have an internal, programmable LUT, am i correct?

Also, is there any review which discusses the displays emulation of the sRGB space? How accurate is it?

I haven't checked into this fully since I've been so busy but I believe it does have a programmable LUT and to use it, you need the LG software + calibration device. I couldn't access it with the Xrite i1display pro that I have. However, you CAN calibrate it using that with custom mode and then store the .icm file to be loaded by the OS or a 3rd party program.

I finally got a reply by LG in regards to my questions about the firmware.

I apologize but we release no firmware updates to the public for monitors, I would suggest to contact those websites and ask them how they updated or got the update from LG, they probably have a point of contact that supplies these.

So basically don't ever expect to get updated firmware, if and when it's seen in retail units (that is if they don't have the newer firmware). The response also didn't clear up if the retail units had the newer firmware. And since those 2 independent reviewers aren't exactly helping the general public about inquiring about the firmware to their contact who gave them those revised monitors to review, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the lack of information to be resolved any time soon.

I would honestly disregard the Anandtech and Playware updated reviews. They are useless without a point of contact at LG and a way for customers to know which models have an updated firmware or not. LG played dirty PR by selecting these two websites to publish results of a firmware not available to existing customers. I don't even worry about it much since my display is perfect but I still dislike what LG did. Too bad Dell QC sucks so much, I'd have gone with them again if it weren't the case.

reply by LG... ...about the firmware...
Very shabby, and so blatant. What the hell are they playing at? After a PR move like that I'm only likely to conclude the company can't be trusted and recommend nobody buy anything from them, but maybe they will resolve it for unhappy customers?

Can anyone explain 29EA93 vs 29EA93R vs 29EA93 1.25?
When I looked at the 27" displays I thought R meant srgb gamut, no R means wide gamut. If that's the correct then I assume it's true of all sizes.

1.25 is updated low latency firmware for reviewers only, see Diverge's comment above. LG aren't releasing the firmware update to the public so it's a dirty trick. The only way for them to completely salvage the situation is to make it really clear which versions sellers have and do free RMA updates for anyone who wants the newer firmware.

Any news of the DELL U2913WM running on the equivalent to LG 1.25 firmware/screen?

faakk, this monitor needs to come out with 2800x1200 and 120hz like, yesturday... I have a feeling my dream monitor will never come true. Starting to hate my eyefinity...

For what it's worth, I contacted Newegg.com about the 27ea83, regarding the updated firmware, this was their response as to whether their stock has the new firmware (1.25) or not...

Generally, our stock moves so fast that we have the latest version or revision of everything. Unfortunately, we do not have a way to physically get our hands on an item and tell you what revision we currently have. We do not guarantee revision numbers unless it is specifically noted on the description on the website.

...not very helpful at all.

Back