• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

LG 27EA83-D

Tried one recently, overpriced and incomplete IMHO just like the Dell U2713H, this one does not even have a unif comp feature, not even a half broken one like the U2713H does. And everything is locked down in sRGB mode. The U2713HM is best bet right but it also tends to have spotty uniformity (though better than most WQHD panels). Waiting eagerly for the NEC PA272W, the PA271W is quite old now and has low calibrated contrast (500:1).
 
I have a LG 27EA83-D, currently $850 at NewEgg, was $800 a few weeks ago. It is far superior in color, clarity, and uniformity than the U2713HM but currently with a $150 premium price. Dell direct has dropped U2713H prices to the same $850. The LG and Dell seem to use the same panel but the LG implementation has blacker blacks and a bit more contrast... nice for video and photo work.

The few folks I know that have the LG think they are perfect and being a so called 10 bit monitor, the sRGB emulation mode works. From what I hear the Dell screen quality is a lottery, but it does have more cables and interface ports... only useful if you need them. Dell's warranty is 3 years. Oh, the LG supports split screen where one source can be feeding one half and another source feeds the other half. Also PIP.

http://www.gadgetreview.com/2013/03/lg-27ea83-d-27-inch-colorprime-ips-led-wqhd-monitor-review.html
 
Last edited:
Just bought one for our new web/image production person. Hope it pans out well, because I don't want to justify the purchase of a ACD.
 
Crap... I hope Amazon will honor the difference.
 
Amazon won't honor the difference. I will tell you that right now - if you want to return it, they will let you do a hassle free return. You can refuse the delivery or simply print your own return label. You may have to pay for return shipping if it's open, because you bought it by your own negligence in not searching for the best price.

So don't even bother trying to get amazon to price match. I assure you they will not do it. But you can return it and order from newegg if you wish.
 
Amazon won't honor the difference. I will tell you that right now - if you want to return it, they will let you do a hassle free return. You can refuse the delivery or simply print your own return label. You may have to pay for return shipping if it's open, because you bought it by your own negligence in not searching for the best price.

So don't even bother trying to get amazon to price match. I assure you they will not do it. But you can return it and order from newegg if you wish.

Must be a new policy, they've priced matched things in the past for me. And trust me, I *did* search for the best price, that $150 off at Newegg didn't go into effect until AFTER I purchased it on Amazon.
 
Must be a new policy, they've priced matched things in the past for me. And trust me, I *did* search for the best price, that $150 off at Newegg didn't go into effect until AFTER I purchased it on Amazon.

Okay. Try it. I've tried it a few times in the past 6 months with no luck. If they capitulate on the price, let us know....I don't think they price match, most of the time they won't...if they do - I wonder what conditions would their policy allow them to do it. I don't know. Post here after you try it out.
 
Last edited:
Okay. Try it. I've tried it a few times in the past 6 months with no luck. If they capitulate on the price, let us know....I don't think they price match, most of the time they won't...if they do - I wonder what conditions would their policy allow them to do it. I don't know. Post here after you try it out.

Yeah, I already tried, and got shot down. My best hope at this point is that they drop their price within a week or so, and I can ask for the difference then. I wasn't disagreeing with you, I just wasn't happy with Amazon's response. If I didn't need the monitor quickly, I'd send it back... but my employer isn't big on spending man hours necessarily.
 
Last edited:
Got the monitor in this morning, and it is excellent. Annoyingly, it blows my own U2412MB out of the water. Our production print/web dev loves it, and I guess that's all the matters!
 
All wide-gamut monitors look 'great' initially because of the blown up colors, you can calibrate them to be accurate in PhotoShop etc. but you'll still end up with very oversaturated colors in anything else since most windows apps are still not color managed properly.
 
All wide-gamut monitors look 'great' initially because of the blown up colors, you can calibrate them to be accurate in PhotoShop etc. but you'll still end up with very oversaturated colors in anything else since most windows apps are still not color managed properly.

Yup, I haven't actually calibrated it yet for ambient lighting and such, but I put it in Adobe RGB mode, and she (the designer) feels that it's very, very accurate to our print work. As for gaming, or video, I wouldn't know... that's not what it's going to be used for.
 
All wide-gamut monitors look 'great' initially because of the blown up colors, you can calibrate them to be accurate in PhotoShop etc. but you'll still end up with very oversaturated colors in anything else since most windows apps are still not color managed properly.

It seems to be true that hooking up a good monitor to crappy equipment may give poor results. All wide gamut monitors look great all the time when driven by proper machines period. Some wide gamut machines do better displaying the sRGB color space than others, this monitor has an excellent sRGB emulation capability.

I think most pros understand how to adjust colors for the intended audience, be that a crappy windoze machine apps/browsers or more modern apps and better machines. Why hold up quality of life progress because of the few crappy windoze machines that remain in use? :).

I have yet to run into a graphic or video that is over saturated when running this monitor in wide gamut (aRGB) mode and driven by my rMBP, but then I hear apple has a tendency to do color right. Perhaps I just have not not run into a badly tagged photo yet.

I think a wide gamut capability may be a waste of money for most users, but is a godsend to others. Sometimes you just can't get a feature you need or want without also taking wide gamut....
 
Really like the look of this screen, but my main use is gaming / media / Internet and general desktop use. Price wise it isn't that much more than the vp-2770-led but I'd rather get the monitor more suited to my needs. I also want a monitor with minimal backlight bleed.
 
Amazon just dropped the price to $764.99. I'm going to try and get a refund for the difference.

Edit: Excellent.... "Since the price of the item has changed within seven days of the delivery of the order, I've issued a refund for the price difference in the amount of $91.38. You should see the refund in the next 2-3 business days."
 
Last edited:
Yeah, I used the discover card and thought I'd try their price protection plan. They say they will credit me with the price drop ($150)... but its going to take a few weeks for the paperwork.
 
Hey guys, I'm very interested in the LG EA83 series monitor, but what is the difference between the models LG 27EA83-D over Newegg and the LG 27EA83R and even the LG 27EA83V over Amazon?

Thx.
 
The LG 27EA83-D is wide gamut (aRGB and sRGB) the 27EA83R is suppose to be a less expensive narrow gamut (sRGB). Otherwise they are identical. Most here only need sRGB.

The write up of the 27EA83V seems to be the same as the -D version but it isn't listed on LGs USA web page. Perhaps an overseas model?
 
Back
Top