LF suggestions on new card.

renaldoaoa

n00b
Joined
Sep 1, 2006
Messages
6
I've been sneaking through a few posts and from what I've seen the X850XT seems to be the smart choice.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...102688&CMP=KNC-GoogleAdwords&ATT=Newegg+B2S06

Anything at this point would be better than my GF FX 5900 Ultra. *snicker*

I'm mainly trying to get setup for Oblivion and doing all I can to get Darkstar One (and others) to run worth a darn, but mainly looking for the next step for usage on newer games.

I'm running a...

AMD 3400+ 2.40GHz
1 GB ram
K8T Neo MB

Looking for something around $100 - $150.

Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch!!!
 
7600GT? That probably also a really good choice for that price range. I think they are actually a tab bit better than a X850XT also.
 
Well, unless you plan on getting a new motherboard too you're going to need an AGP card.
 
Yeah I'm kinda liking the 7600 GT, so far. I've been doing some light reading on them, but as it looks so far I'm putting it on the top.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143049
The price isnt too bad with the rebate.


coolxboxgamer.
Would love to, but need something now. 8(

Bruce.
Are you saying the 7600GT wont work with my board or were your referring to the DX10?

Thanks for all the replys!!
 
renaldoaoa said:
Bruce.
Are you saying the 7600GT wont work with my board

That's what he is saying, yes.

If you have an AGP board (and if that's actually a 5900 you have instead of a 5950, then you have an AGP board), you need an AGP card. PCI-E != PCI or AGP.
 
Gotcha.
Can ya tell I've never messed with video cards?

Just looked at the info and yup AGP slot, I'm glad I put that info down.

Well that throws me off on what to get now.
 
There are no AGP 7600GTs. Just 7600GSs, which are much less powerful cards. An X850XT will thrash a 7600GS.
 
Wow quite a difference in price between the PCI's and AGP's.

Any ideas on a good place to purchase the X850XT AGP version(or suggestions on another card)? I'm talking money wise.
The best (current bid) I've been able to find is..http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-Radeon-X850...tcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I guess Id be shooting myself in the foot If I changed boards and get a PCI card vrs buying a AGP card? Just curious I have no idea what boards run and I'm not sure if this is an upgrade I should do now rather than later or is not really nessary.

Thanks for all the replys and help!!!!
I really appreciate it!!
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The price difference between new high-end AGP card for current mobo or new medium-high-end PCI-E card and a decent PCI-E mobo generally wash out.

Trick is moving the system - CPU, ram, video card, hard drives, PSUs...heck, even moving the operating system usually involves a format and reinstall.

It's not more expensive, it just requires a healthy dose (not a lot, but a measurable amount) of technical skill.
 
Back
Top