• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

LF replacement high capacity data drive

entr0

n00b
Joined
May 21, 2011
Messages
43
My 1TB Hitachi Deskstar is dieing.

I'm looking to increase my storage and possibly run a raid 1, for auto backup.

Some of the drives I'm looking at are below. I'm also interested in any "Green" drives. Looking for any suggestions and experiences with the drives.

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
HITACHI Deskstar 5K3000 HDS5C3020ALA632 (0F12117) 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
HITACHI Deskstar 0S03230 3TB 5400 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

edit
Would be nice if someone could update this thread; http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1016962
 
Last edited:
What is your current storage set-up?

How much at most are you willing to spend?

What do you plan on storing (e.g., disk images, MP3s, Blu-ray rips)?

Instead of waiting for an update to the HDD buying guide sticky, you should spend a few minutes at Storage Review and checking out the Data Storage Systems forum.
 
I would not recommend using RAID 1 for backup purposes.
 
I wouldn't recommend using RAID at all for backup purposes. RAID (with the exception of RAID 0) only guarantees system uptime, but it does nothing to prevent missing or corrupted files.
 
Well that's what I meant, I was just being specific.
 
What is your current storage set-up?
2x Maxtor 200GB 1x Hitachi 1TB

How much at most are you willing to spend?
Absolute max would be 200 I'd say.

What do you plan on storing (e.g., disk images, MP3s, Blu-ray rips)?
Movies, and music. Planning on eventually taking the drives I get into a HTPC

Instead of waiting for an update to the HDD buying guide sticky, you should spend a few minutes at Storage Review and checking out the Data Storage Systems forum.
Thanks for the link to storage review. I spent some time reading DSS but didn't really get much out of it, but then again I didn't dig all that deep.
 
Hitachi 7K3000, 1.5, 2 or 3TB. Get two. RAID 1 them. If you don't have backups, don't RAID them, use a script to mirror them every day.
 
How are the WD Caviar Blacks I like the fact of the 5yr warranty compared to Hitachis 3yr.

HITACHI Deskstar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive 119.99
Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive 139.99

My failing failing 1TB Hitachi deskstar is under warranty. So I'm thinking once I get that back I will use that to back up the important stuff.

WD's warranty isn't the best. And warranty matters jack, reliability is what matters. WD has MASSIVE failure rates with their original 2TB drives (the Black is one of them), up to 10% on some models. I won't ever trust WD again.

As for warranty difference, Hitachi allows you to just ship the HDD's top cover to them and they send you a replacement, you keep the platters which you can physically destroy to protect your data. It may not matter for a home user, but sure as hell speaks that they do give a shit about their customers and matters a hell lot more for businesses. Also, Backblaze reported the 5K3000 as having the lowest failure rates and least issues in RAID (it's a low-power version of 7K3000, same drive, different motor), and they have thousands in production, from each brand, including enterprise drives (they mentioned WD's "enterprise" RAID edition stuff is no different than their regular drives).

EDIT: Oh yeah, Hitachi 7K3000 is noticeably faster than that WD Black. It's on par with Barracuda XT, if not slightly faster, thanks to higher platter density.
 
WD's warranty isn't the best. And warranty matters jack, reliability is what matters. WD has MASSIVE failure rates with their original 2TB drives (the Black is one of them), up to 10% on some models. I won't ever trust WD again.

As for warranty difference, Hitachi allows you to just ship the HDD's top cover to them and they send you a replacement, you keep the platters which you can physically destroy to protect your data. It may not matter for a home user, but sure as hell speaks that they do give a shit about their customers and matters a hell lot more for businesses. Also, Backblaze reported the 5K3000 as having the lowest failure rates and least issues in RAID (it's a low-power version of 7K3000, same drive, different motor), and they have thousands in production, from each brand, including enterprise drives (they mentioned WD's "enterprise" RAID edition stuff is no different than their regular drives).

EDIT: Oh yeah, Hitachi 7K3000 is noticeably faster than that WD Black. It's on par with Barracuda XT, if not slightly faster, thanks to higher platter density.

I had a couple WD shit on me in the past and swore by maxtors until the seagate deal. Thought maybe they changed. But if that is the case for hitachi warranty work with just sending them the top cover I'm definitely sold on them and I'm certainly pleased with the the hard drive I purchased even if it is dieing.

Thanks iconik and everyone else who contributed.

Gonna get HITACHI Deskstar 7K3000 HDS723020BLA642 (0f12115) 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
 
Back
Top