LF New Mouse, like Deathadder

ranviper

[H]ard|Gawd
So I have been using my deathadder for 3, going on 4 years now, and she's still great, but I'm getting bored of it. I'd like to get a new mouse. I do like the black edition deathadder, but again, I think I wanna try something new.

Any good mice that would be a relatively easy transition, that will be solidly built and great for FPS's?

g9x in my opinion is the best for fps gaming but isnt at all like a deathadder. the closest thing would be a mamba, as it uses the same shell. but the roccat kone or kone plus is something new that is a little like the deathadder

I love my deathadder as well but have been itching for something new with more features.I tried the Mionix Naos 5000 which was pretty good, but I sent it back to Amazon because the software crashed everytime I ran it and the pinky grip was very obtrusive for me in gaming (although it felt nice in casual browsing). Today I just got the Thermaltake Black Element and so far I am really liking it. At first it felt a little bit strange but after using it for a few hours I actually like the shape better than the deathadder.

Nice nice. I like the mamba, but I don't wanna spend quite that much. Lol.

Anyone have any experience with the Steelseries Ikari or perhaps the G700? I've seen that go for pretty good deals, and I love logitech products.

Anyone have any experience with the Steelseries Ikari or perhaps the G700? I've seen that go for pretty good deals, and I love logitech products.

I can't speak for the G700, but the G500 is a great mouse. 200 - 5700 DPI that can adjust on the fly, and has IMO just the right amount of extra buttons.

I have the 3 thumb buttons set to [DPI +], [Push-to-talk] and [DPI -]
The two extra pointer-finger buttons are set to "spot" in Battlefield and "F10" for screencaps in Fraps.

The shape was fine for me coming from one of those stock Microsoft mouses. You are definitely right about different from the DA.

Haha. Yeah, thanks for the input though, I'll definitely check it out.

Also I like the look of the G400, looks nice and matches my G510 KB in color as well as brand. =P

But I need to beware. This is a very strange problem I have with certain clicks an noises. Some mice every time they click make my right ear pop. Always have, NO IDEA why but it's REALLY annoying sometimes. My roommate has the mx518 which is essentially the same mouse as the g400, and every time he clicked, POP, POP, POP. Ugh. The DA never was an issue.

The G9x would be my suggestion especially coming from the Deathadder. Both are flatter in size and would fit you better and its sensor is the best I've ever used!

The G500 and others are too tall for me so if the DA fits you good, they may not.

The G9x would be my suggestion especially coming from the Deathadder. Both are flatter in size and would fit you better and its sensor is the best I've ever used!

The G500 and others are too tall for me so if the DA fits you good, they may not.

Hey thanks for input!

I tried out the g9x and it just wasn't quite right for me. Something was just off. It is certainly a fantastic mouse, just not right for me I don't think.

(I think I'm too picky) :p

Get a MS intellimouse explorer 3.0 and save your money, i own both DA black edition and 3.0 and i always liked 3.0 more ,deathadder is inferior in so many different ways, here's a quote from my OCN post, replying to a guy who was asking wether to spend 60$ for g400 or the DA

Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 - period.

Deathadder is shaped like a brick, it was ALWAYS inferior to the 3.0, first versions had prediction for 2 years until razer wised up and released a VDC firmware update, 5 years passed to finally to realize that glossy plastic sides do NOT give you the "unfair advantage" .

DA BE is still inferior even it has rubber sides and no angle snapping, why ? because its form is not identical to 3.0 which personally fits my hand like a freaking glove, it's shorter and the whole right side of the is cut in a completely different way than it should be, it's also heavier and doesn't glide as smoothly as the 3.0 on my artisan hien hard, even with hyperglides on top of the original feet !

I don't think i'll ever buy again from razer again, abyssus - onza tournament edition and now this overrated brick for 60 euros, it doesn't even have onboard memory for settings !!! I'm pretty much forced to install drivers if i want to use the dpi button at the bottom.

If you really want a big mouse do yourself a favor and get the MS 3.0, I've bought mx518 - naos3200 - deathadder and they all pale in comparison, maybe i should just accept the fact that companies will never learn how make to make proper mice, stick with the 3.0 for another 10 years and stop wasting money, only "gaming" mouse i really enjoyed using was the CM spawn, not even zowie EC2 was adequate due to stupid glossy sides angle snapping and jitter at 1000dpi/500hz

It's all about hand size. Since my 518 died, I have tried half a dozen different mice and they all felt off. I just went and bought the G400 and all feels right again.

I would check out the G700 as it's a really comfortable and a very good mouse. I have used the DA before and you can easily adjust to the Logitech if your a palm user like I am. I really like the 4 extra buttons on top and above your thumb for mapping for game stuff.

Last edited:
If you're looking for a really easy transition from the DeathAdder (which is what I personally use, although I have tried a great many different input devices) I have to second the Intellimouse. The DeathAdder's shape is basically like a modified Intellimouse. The main differance I noticed is that the Intellimouse is a tiny bit longer which I find is a bit more comfortable than the DeathAdder (only reason I don't use one is I can't find a finish that feels right in my hand). The Intellimouse is also a bit lighter (which may feel cheaper to some) and the left mouse button is just a tad lower. If you don't need high DPI and you're lucky enough to find one... I would really suggest going for an older Intellimouse 1.1 or 3.0. I also found the old Copperhead to be amazingly comfortable. Just hard to find.

I'm in the opposite boat. I used to have a Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 and it was a GREAT gaming mouse. Died after 5 years but I do remember paying like $15 for it (kind of explains the longetivity). Now I'm debating on whether I should get another intelli mouse or the Deathadder which looks awesome and matches my case LED fans

I'm in the opposite boat. I used to have a Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 and it was a GREAT gaming mouse. Died after 5 years but I do remember paying like $15 for it (kind of explains the longetivity). Now I'm debating on whether I should get another intelli mouse or the Deathadder which looks awesome and matches my case LED fans

Can you think of any qualms you had about your Intellimouse at all? Personally I think if you were happy with the Intellimouse, you'll be happy with a DeathAdder.

Also... to the OP, I just noticed you were looking at the Logitech Mice also. Most of them feel a little big to my girly hands, but the plus side with Logitech is that they're very mainstream and places like BestBuy usually have some on display out of the box, makes it easy to test the feel.

Also... Logitech's customer service is TOP NOTCH in my humble opinion. Usually no questions asked RMA's, which is amazing if you're hard on your gear. :)

microsoft intelimouse explorer 3.0, im pretty sure razer copied the design of the original explorer for the deathadder. i know the buttons are positioned pretty much exactly the same. i had the original one as the first laser/optical mouse i owned and it was wonderful, lasted for about 8 years before it finally died. they are cheap too.

honestly if you really like your deathadder i think you will not like logitech's offerings very much. the mice feel great in your hand; really substantial and well built, but the button placement in regards to the thumb buttons are terrible. they are very small and awkward to press.

Wow guys, thanks for all the input.

I've decided for now I'm going to stick it out just a little longer, have to save money for my wedding, lol.

HOWEVER, I am still open to more suggestions, as a new purchase will come in the near future, and I will check out all the mice suggested. =)

+1 to all of you!

Also, anyone have any experience with the Microsoft Habu, powered by razer??

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Laser-Gaming-Mouse-Black/dp/B000H16G3W

My gf actually uses the Habu and is quite fond of it. It has two extra buttons which can be nice if you play a lot of MMO's. It comes with an extra set of sidebuttons which to me completely changes the feel of the mouse, so that could be a plus to some. I do have a couple qualms about it though. At really low DPI settings I sometimes have trouble with the tracking if I move it too fast. Not sure if it's because it uses a laser instead of infared or if ours is just a bit buggy. It doesn't seem like it should be the laser as the old Copperhead uses almost the exact same laser and I never had a problem with it. My other gripe (and this is minor) is that it doesn't have a braided cable like the DeathAdder (which is also the other thing I don't like about the Intellimouse), shouldn't be a problem for most people, but the back edge of my desk is a bit sharp and doesn't play well with the rubber coated wire casing. :( Other than that... Pretty good mouse imho.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
^ Cool. I want something cheap, decent, and if it has LED's, I want blue to match my KB and case lighting.

I saw the some of the Zowie mice look similar, and I've heared mixed things about them. Anyone?

It's not a very good mouse. None of Razer's laser mice have good sensors. If you're playing WoW or maybe even an RTS, it probably isn't an issue but it's a detriment in FPS play.

As far as sensors go, the best are in the Razer DeathAdder (original and 3.5G)/Abyssus, Logitech MX518/G400/Zowie EC1/2, and SteelSeries Xai/Logitech G9x/700/500. None of them are perfect although the original DeathAdder comes close. Unfortunately, you can't get it anymore. The 3.5G/Abyssus have problems are certain surfaces, the MX518/G400/Zowie have prediction/angle snapping, the Xai/G9x/700/500 all have a bit of built in acceleration and negative acceleration that cannot be disabled.

I would just choose from one of those, depending on shape and the number of buttons you want. It's usually best not to install drivers for any of them.

EDIT: The IME3.0 and DeathAdder share essentially the same shape, but the IME3.0 isn't perfect either. First, the low DPI/CPI actually is an issue if you've got a large resolution. Second, the inherent polling rate is low, which is a bigger problem than any of the other issues those other mice have. You can tweak it but I think it has to be done manually after each boot for 64bit Windows, because it won't autoexec it. That might've changed though. Also, I agree the IME3.0's shape is slightly better than the DeathAdder (purely subjective) but the DeathAdder has much higher quality Mouse 4/5 buttons.

Last edited:
I use Deathadder and 4000dpi lachese for FPS games. Both are good mice. Not sure which I enjoy more. Lately I have been doing better with the Lachesis.

There are many mouse out there and from what I have seen i prefer a light weight and comfortable mouse that is fast.

Happy with Razer but the new Steel Series Sensei looks good. Might get one.

It's not a very good mouse. None of Razer's laser mice have good sensors. If you're playing WoW or maybe even an RTS, it probably isn't an issue but it's a detriment in FPS play.

As far as sensors go, the best are in the Razer DeathAdder (original and 3.5G)/Abyssus, Logitech MX518/G400/Zowie EC1/2, and SteelSeries Xai/Logitech G9x/700/500. None of them are perfect although the original DeathAdder comes close. Unfortunately, you can't get it anymore. The 3.5G/Abyssus have problems are certain surfaces, the MX518/G400/Zowie have prediction/angle snapping, the Xai/G9x/700/500 all have a bit of built in acceleration and negative acceleration that cannot be disabled.

I would just choose from one of those, depending on shape and the number of buttons you want. It's usually best not to install drivers for any of them.

EDIT: The IME3.0 and DeathAdder share essentially the same shape, but the IME3.0 isn't perfect either. First, the low DPI/CPI actually is an issue if you've got a large resolution. Second, the inherent polling rate is low, which is a bigger problem than any of the other issues those other mice have. You can tweak it but I think it has to be done manually after each boot for 64bit Windows, because it won't autoexec it. That might've changed though. Also, I agree the IME3.0's shape is slightly better than the DeathAdder (purely subjective) but the DeathAdder has much higher quality Mouse 4/5 buttons.

Hey wow, thanks dude. :D Fortunately I sort of narrowed my choices down to these, minus the logitech, because their click's for some reason make my right ear pop everytime...and it drives me INSANE.

The deathadder I have (mac edition) has the same internals as the original deathadder, 1800dpi. The only real difference was the drivers and LED's. I love it, but again, I'd like to try something new.

I noticed when i rest my hand on my DA, and where the worn in marks are, my middle finger sits right in the middle of the RMB, and my pointer sits really close to the scroll wheel on the LMB, which can sometimes be an issue, cuz occasionally in game Ill throw a frag unintentionally...lol. This is one reason I am considering the xai. Similar size, but a more straight mouse, not right handed curve. I see newegg has a re-certified one for 60 bucks...

How about the steelseries kinzu?

Ugh... As much as I hate trashing a product... I can't recommend the Kinzu. I picked one up about a year ago and I had nothing but problems with it. I'm not sure if they fixed it, as I haven't used it in almost a year, but when I used it (about a week before it drove me NUTS) it had this really crappy prediction that I couldn't turn off. Trying to go diagonal to make a shot in a game like CoD was near impossible. It also made any cad work very difficult as I couldn't seem to make a right angle without using a tool. It just rounded everything off. I also found myself constantly trying to click the non-existent side buttons.

On the plus side... It had a really nice feeling finish, lol.

Hahaha. Thanks for the input though.

All this and I just get the feeling I should stick with the DA, and just get a new one. I really like the looks of the black edition, and the fact they dumped the glossy sides, and no lights = no worries about matching LED's in the future.

Anyone play with this mouse? I love my current DA mac edition 1800dpi.

Another recommendation for the G500.

However, I wouldn't say it's "deathadder-like" at all.

My brother has a deathadder and I wasn't too fond of it. While it looked slick on the desk, It felt like a clunky and clumsy under my hands. I didn't like the high-arc of the butt, the smudgy plastic on the side, the rubbery wheel, the shape of the L/R buttons (indented, and flares out), nor the flashy looking software.

The shape of the g500, like it's predecessors is simply amazing. Compared to it's predecessors (g400, g5, g7, mx518), the g500 has a slightly wider lip on the bottom which I prefer, and the sensor more closer to the front which I also prefer. All in all, it feels like a extension of my hand.

The on-the-fly hyperscrolling is a godsend(i hate using a mouse without it).
The on-the-fly dpi adjustment and on-board memory are pretty nice features, the adjustable weights i thought didn't make enough difference to really matter

^ See I feel just the opposite. I love the feel and size of my DA, and the shape is perfect for my hand. The mx510 my roomate had felt terrible under my hand, and it made my hand cramp up after a solid 20 minutes of use...

Soooo, I decided to save some bucks, and sold my mac edition DA to my buddy for 20 bucks, (all he had was some cheap wireless POS) and got myself another DA. It's still an upgrade considering I only had the 1800dpi, and the blue LED's will match my KB and rig LED's, and all in all, I just love the mouse. I don't even mind the glossy sides, lol. Thanks for all your input guys!

+1 to all of ya.

I'm pretty sure it has an identical shape to the Deathadder.

It seems like you want to stick with a Deathadder-like shape, but go with something slightly different.

Zowie EC2- would be my first recommendation and the mouse I'm currently using after switching from the Deathaddder. It's similar but also a bit more 'plain' and not as deep of grooves. It is a bit smaller, so if you want get the EC1 which will be similar in size. On top of that, nice flexible cord, best feeling scroll wheel, be feeling sidebuttons (even though I never use them). Sensor is the same as the Logitech MX518 so no problems with tracking, just has prediction if you can handle that (not bad at all). I guess the last good thing about it are the Tephlon feet, they are rounded so if you were interested in getting Hyperglidz or whatever slick mousefeet there's no need, better than Razer's...

Microsoft 3.0- Popular choice, it's bigger and to me didn't feel as good as the Deathadder. Sensor is fine, but need to manually adjust to 500+hz or it feels like it stutters or jerks (accurate, just not smooth?) when swiping to the side a bit. Also a very stiff cable and not great mousefeet.

Mice I don't have experience with but show a similar shape:

Raptor Gaming LM3 - Don't really know anything about it but a pro-Quake player (DKT) is either making or already released his version of that mouse.

Gigabyte M8000x - Laser sensor

As for just random other mice I would maybe suggest:

Gigabyte M6900/M6980 - Depending on if you want laser or optical

TT Azures, Roccat Kone(+), Steelseries Xai and Kinzu, NZXT Avatar S.

From the sounds of it I'm not sure you'd go for the Logitech shape (G400/500). G9 may be a possibility but I've never used it and it's a different grip style.

Edit: Oops missed the last post...

Last edited:
^ hahahah, thanks man. Definitely some good mice, but I guess they always say "if it aint broke, dont fix it." :)

I have an IME 3.0 here that I have been using since like 1999 and it's still working great on my work PC.. probably the most reliable bit of computer hardware I have ever owned... that being said, not sure I would use it as my primary gaming rig mouse... I too was getting a little bored of my DA and the wheel developed a bad sound recently so I picked up one of the new transformer collectors edition deathadders..

Wow is it yellow.. lol. Almost thinking I should have gone with the purple one, but I like bumble bee so went with that one..

I have an IME 3.0 here that I have been using since like 1999 and it's still working great on my work PC.. probably the most reliable bit of computer hardware I have ever owned... that being said, not sure I would use it as my primary gaming rig mouse... I too was getting a little bored of my DA and the wheel developed a bad sound recently so I picked up one of the new transformer collectors edition deathadders..

Wow is it yellow.. lol. Almost thinking I should have gone with the purple one, but I like bumble bee so went with that one..

Hahahaha, nice, yeah I am very happy with the decision to get a new DA. Favorite mouse to date. Throw up a pic of the transformers one, I'd love to it it! Here's mine.

007ljp.jpg

I just got it! I need to plug it in and such... will snap off a pic very soon. (right about now I am glad I can change the color profile on my G13 to yellow :eek:)

I have an IME 3.0 here that I have been using since like 1999 and it's still working great on my work PC.. probably the most reliable bit of computer hardware I have ever owned....

I love the IME 3.0, and my experience is probably the exception - but I've had two fail in an identical fashion in the past 3 years. Left button starts double clicking when it should be single clicking.

I'll be sad to move on but I don't want to risk another purchase.

I just got it! I need to plug it in and such... will snap off a pic very soon. (right about now I am glad I can change the color profile on my G13 to yellow :eek:)

Haha, one of the many reasons I love my g510. :rolleyes:

I love the IME 3.0, and my experience is probably the exception - but I've had two fail in an identical fashion in the past 3 years. Left button starts double clicking when it should be single clicking.

I'll be sad to move on but I don't want to risk another purchase.

Get a DA. :D

Does your Transformer DA have a hard plastic shell or is it the same soft touch coating as the standard DA?

Back