Lexus Introduces Luxury Hybrid - HS250h

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
Lexus has announced their first dedicated hybrid: the HS250h. Essentially an upscale Prius, it’s expected to have better than 33 mpg in the city. Knowing how you guys love hybrids, I figure you’d appreciate this piece of news.

[Lexus VP Mark] Templin says Toyota, which owns Lexus, expects the HS250h to do well because its research shows 60 percent of luxury car buyers would have considered a hybrid if one were available. "They also want a car that is kinder to the environment with outstanding gas mileage and low emissions, as well as one that offers advanced features, the latest electronics and one that delivers exceptional comfort," he said.

Hybrids aren't the only stupid looking cars... look at the Scion... PT Cruiser.. hell any of the "Cruisers"... the "New" VW Beetle, most SUVs, oh wait am I just stating opinion? Sorry.

the best they can get is 33 mpg? I am all for smaller carbon footprint but if I have to shell out a premium over a regular gas car it should get freaking 100 mpg and have a latte machine in it!

I'll stick with my trailblazer ss 1/2 the mileage twice the HELL YEA>

My '94 Ford Probe GT gets 32mpg. I LOL every time I hear how "efficient" all these new cars supposedly are, and they don't get any better gas mileage. Not only that, but they are so slow they can't even get out of their own way!

Funny stuff. I used to see a hybrid and thought 'greenie', now when I see one I think 'too broke to afford gas'. I'm sure when I see the Lexus version I'll think 'Trying to hide the fact that the most-used car in the garage is the supercharged Cadillac Escalade ESV'. I think I'll go into business selling 'hybrid' emblems that people can replace their outdated 'type-R' ones.

yea, not too big on this whole Hybrid kick, it just seems to me that premium for lower emissions for the same gas mileage is silly. Then again i hate Polar bears :)

Turbo Diesel is where its at for mileage.

i actually like this lexus as its not as ugly as its toyota cousin. 30k for a hybrid with the lexus warranties is pretty good in my book and who know how long this recession will last before gas prices shoot up. Might be my next car purchase. Goodbye my g35 :(

yeah my 01 TransAM WS6 gets 29 on the highway....and its cammed and puts 410hp at the wheels...granted in town i may only get 16mpg...but screw it i paid probably 1/4 the price of that lexus

yeah my 01 TransAM WS6 gets 29 on the highway....and its cammed and puts 410hp at the wheels...granted in town i may only get 16mpg...but screw it i paid probably 1/4 the price of that lexus

Dude, everything out there gets good highway mileage these days. At least we hope so. It's the city mileage that has remained stagnant.

Alright, I'll weigh in with my Prius-owning soul. (Hey, I bought mine before they got "yuppie trendy", partly due to the "green"ness, partly due to geek-factor.)

If it's really going to be $30k, then that's a hell of a deal. A fully loaded Prius can hit $30k. (I didn't get fully loaded. The extra $5k to get built-in GPS plus Bluetooth just wasn't worth it when $1k could get you a nice GPS unit, plus a Bluetooth speakerphone.) The luxury would have been nice. My cloth seats are starting to wear out; and the road noise is a touch loud at higher speeds. (At low speeds, the thing is dead silent from the inside, though.)

Yeah, I am actually a fan of 'modern' design, what can I say? (I thought the Honda Insight was a little goofy, but I like the look of the Prius. I would have liked a sedan with a trunk, more though.)

Back