Lexmark X9350 Review

Arkanian

[H]ard|Gawd
So my old X73 Lexmark printer just died and I needed to go buy a new one. At first I wanted to buy a Laser Printer since I don't print in color. Then I found this printer:
http://search.lexmark.com/printer/US/en/30B0000

The high selling points for this printer was that it works on wireless G network, has Top Document Feeder, and can scan and send the file to any of my PC's on my network in any format that I want. Their was only 2 cons that I have about this printer. The first is that you must ran the setup wizard on any PC that wants to print to the printer via wireless. I first tried just creating a TCP/IP port with the IP address but it didn't work. I then ran the setup wizard and it created a special port for the printer and now the computer can print to the printer. I thought this was a con until I tried the Scan feature. I took a document and loaded it in the Document Feeder. As soon as I hit the scan button, it showed all of my PC's on the network and wanted to know which PC to scan the file to. So I choosed my desktop and it scanned the document in 5 secs. I went to my Desktop and a box came up telling my what format do I want the file to be and where do I want to save it. The cool thing is that it can save the file in PDF format. I can now archive all of my Documents to PDF on the fly with this printer. The only negative thing about this printer is the front USB port. If the USB key has pictures on it, you can select the pictures and print. If you want to print document files, it will not work. I checked the manuel and you must have the printer hooked via USB to PC before this function can work. This was a bummer but I guess I can hook my USB key to my PC and print that way. I wish though I could print Documents by just sticking my USB key into the printer. The print quality is not as good as Laser either but I think the Scan to PC and Wireless out weigh these limitations. I was thinking about getting a Laser printer and hooking a wireless print server to it but I wouldn't be able to scan if I did that.

Cliff Notes:
Pros: Wireless, Scan to any PC in any Format, Top Document Feeder, Only 2 Ink Carts and they are only 24.99 each. Black and Color, Price, Duplexes
Cons: Printing Files via USB Key doesn't work without it hooked to PC, Print Quality is not Laser Quality

Overall I would give this printer a 8.5/10 versus Laser Printers. If you compare this to other Ink Jets I would give this a 9.2/10. If you want similar features on a Laser printer, it will cost you around $500-800 more. Circuit City has it for $250.00

Back