• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Let's talk laptop audio output options

PCMusicGuy

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 9, 2006
Messages
1,223
I just want to bounce some ideas off the members here to see if I'm missing any options.

Current Setup: I have the creative home theater cable that takes the three analog jacks and breaks them out into the 7.1 analog channels, so I use the Left/Right and Subwoofer analog outputs of an X-Fi configured in 5.1 mode, with bass redirect enabled and rear speakers disabled. The Left and Right channels go to an amp which is connected to the speakers and the subwoofer output goes directly to the LFE input on my sub crossed at 80 Hz. It all works perfectly.

Desired Setup: I want to bring the amp, speakers, and sub to my office and use a laptop as the source. Naturally, since my laptop only has a headphone output, I don't have a dedicated sub output. My sub does not have pass through ports, and my amp does not have a separate sub output. The laptop is a Dell Latitude E6510 so no digital outputs available, other then possible

Options: I can only think of 2.

1. Get a receiver and use that for the speakers and sub, then connect the laptop to the receiver via a 3.5mm to L/R RCA cables or displayport to HDMI (assuming my displayport will pass audio and the IDT drivers aren't too crappy). Not crazy about this as I'll have to spend some money >$300 to get the same output and quality my current amp provides.

2. Get a USB 5.1 audio card (something like a Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB) and hook it up similarly to what I have at home. I'm leaning this way since it is only around $60.

Anything I missed?
 
does your subwoofer have speaker level inputs?
does you amplifier have pre outs?
 
Last edited:
does your subwoofer have speaker level inputs?
does you amplifier have pre outs?

It has balanced XLR input and two speaker level inputs (L/R). I'm using the one designated "summed input" as the LFE input. It's an Emotiva Ultra 12.

No pre outs on the amp (Behringer A500.)

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p..._id=1011403&p_id=8079&seq=1&format=4#feedback

Usb to hdmi w/ audio. Get a hdmi capable receiver and plug it into that. Viola.

This is basically covered under option 1. Get the audio to HDMI and buy a receiver. Not wanting to spend that much if I don't have to.
 
ok, you dont actually have speaker level inputs on that sub, nor does your amp have typical options such as pre outs or tape loops....because its a power amp...so no quick and easy solutions, but there are still some things you can do.

ok a couple options, and i think getting an HDMI receiver is a waste of money. if you have that much money to spend, get an Emotiva USP-1 pre amp, which has bass managment, and is an excellent piece of kit.

option 2: is getting a stereo receiever with bass management, and selling the behringer.
ex: http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-HK-3390-Receiver/dp/B00198BOAM

your next options are less than optimial, but it depends on how high quality you want your system to be....are you planning on getting a dac for the laptop ?
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Brainfart on my part; the sub has only line level inputs. The amp I'm using was original being used with my stage piano but I've since switched to headphones for my needs.

I know my system is a bit of a hodgepodge but it does sound pretty good if I'm just casually listening to music. It's also simple because of the analog output options of the X-Fi. Send L/R to an amp with speakers and send LFE to a subwoofer with built in amp.

I really don't need anything with higher fidelity at work so that's why I was looking to emulate my desktop setup at home on my laptop at work without spending a whole lot. I did not plan on getting a DAC for the laptop because my of those seem geared to headphones with limited output for a direct LFE channel. That creative surround pro usb thing was about all I saw <$100 that would appear to give me similar connectivity.
 
my reccomendation:
most laptop have shit sound (although in my experience, Dell xps and apple not so bad)

get this basic DAC. only $30, not the best in the world, but good enough.
http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA...UTF8&qid=1341441681&sr=8-2&keywords=behringer

next, get RCA splitters:
http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-U...8&qid=1341441723&sr=1-5&keywords=rca+splitter

send one to your sub, and one to your amp.

yes, it wont be perfect, but it will still be pretty good. use the low pass on the subwoofer, and your speakers will get full range, but they wont play what they cant anyway.

it'll hardly cost you anything, but it'll sure be good enough.

if you really want bass management, i reccomend buying basic car audio line level crossovers. wont break the bank and itll work.
http://www.amazon.com/Kicker-03KX2-...d=1341441997&sr=1-8&keywords=active+crossover

youll need to get a wall wart for it though, and splice the wires.

last option is get the creative usb card.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So from the L RCA output, send the full range to the sub and turn on the low pass filter, and from the R RCA output, send the full range to the amp and speakers. This would definitely work but I imagine I would lose out on some songs that play different parts through the left and right channels.

You think the UCA202 has better quality analog output than the X-Fi Surround 5.1 USB? I wouldn't mind spending ~$100 on a DAC if it would be appreciably better than the Creative module. I'm thinking for my use, the Creative module would be the simplest option as I can clone the connection setup I have now.
 
So from the L RCA output, send the full range to the sub and turn on the low pass filter, and from the R RCA output, send the full range to the amp and speakers. This would definitely work but I imagine I would lose out on some songs that play different parts through the left and right channels.

i wasnt clear. when you split the signals, you'll have 2 R signals and 2 L signals. send one of each to each of the sub and amp.

You think the UCA202 has better quality analog output than the X-Fi Surround 5.1 USB? I wouldn't mind spending ~$100 on a DAC if it would be appreciably better than the Creative module. I'm thinking for my use, the Creative module would be the simplest option as I can clone the connection setup I have now.

probably around the same.
 
Ok. I understand now. For that matter, I may be able to just split the headphone output on the laptop as a test just to see how it sounds. I hadn't even considered that so perhaps I will give it a shot.
 
Back
Top