Let's talk computer station/desk "chair" selection (poll)

Chair selection

• Humanscale Freedom

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • The Raynor Ergohuman

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • The Herman Miller Embody

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Other

Votes: 10 37.0%

• Total voters

BamaDave

n00b
Well let start out by saying my current home office chair is not cutting it! Lack of comfort and reclining has me looking into a replacement. Also, seeing as this is the gaming section I know everyone in this section spends hours in their chairs. Once I started looking I notice a huge selection and price swing which is prompting my generating this thread. Anyway, I've somewhat narrowed down the options to three but still considering others and of course suggestions based on experience. Note the following:

The Humanscale Freedom 1st choice (looks most comfortable especially reclining back)

The Raynor Ergohuman Chair (Best price point)

The Herman Miller Embody Chair (Best overall design and most expensive)

What are your experienced opinions as I'm currently open to suggestions?

Crazy that I spend as much time as I do at my computer and I still wouldn't pay any of those prices for a desk chair.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I use a Realspace PRO Quantum, which is made by Raynor, and I paid $189 for mine from Office Depot. For the price, I'm extremely pleased with it. Sure, it doesn't have independent lumbar support or a headrest (the headrest can be added, though), but for less than $200, it was a great buy and it seems to be going on sale for about that price somewhat often.

I use a Realspace PRO Quantum, which is made by Raynor, and I paid $189 for mine from Office Depot. For the price, I'm extremely pleased with it. Sure, it doesn't have independent lumbar support or a headrest (the headrest can be added, though), but for less than $200, it was a great buy and it seems to be going on sale for about that price somewhat often.

Nice! Looks like a knock off Herman Miller Aeron. That looks like a good other option, thanks!

I hear good things about Herman Miller. I'm using a Haworth and it works great.

I've been using a Herman Miller Aeron for about 3 years. It is one of the best purchases I've ever made.
Before that I used a variety of leather computer chairs that always eventually ripped at the seems after a year or two. I would also get some back pain throughout the day.
Since I switched to an Aeron I have not had any back pain. The chair shows no sign of wearing out and it comes with a 12 year warranty. I got mine for about $850 on amazon, but I have the one that doesn't have adjustable arms (unless you manually unscrew them). It is an extra $200 for the fully adjustable version.

It is sort of an investment. An Aeron is guaranteed to last 12 years so instead of buying a $400 chair every 3 years you're buying a $850 chair that lasts 12+ years. It costs more up front but you'll actually come out ahead in the end. It will also save you in money you would be putting towards relieving back pain.

I don't know how the Embody compares to the Aeron, but it is probably just as good.

I just use an old leather lazy boy. It was free and its hella comfortable.

I could go that way but find it hard to get it close to the desk and tiresome getting in and out once you get into position. As far as the reclining function it's on the top of any list!

I have an aeron at work and a temperpedic office depot chair at home that I got for like $190, both are great.

I have the Embody. I have a 3 level lumbar spinal fusion (3 titanium cages hold my stuff together) and this is the only chair I can sit in for extended periods of time. Expensive as hell, but worth every penny.

So some others to look at:

Steelcase Leap. That was what I eventually settled on, in part because I was able to get a discount. They build them to order and you can get a high back and headrest. They move with you, using springs and your body weight to counterbalance.

If you want the best you can get, bar none, for comfort, then it is a Lifeform Chair. They are amazing, you can try them at Relax the Back. Problem is they are like $2k. So probably not a realistic option. I passed on them for that reason.

Make sure you try the chairs you are thinking of. High end ergonomics or office stores (try Target Commercial Interiors) should have them to try out. I loved the idea of the Humanscale Freedom, but when I tried it, I found it to be uncomfortable. However I know other people who just love the thing and find it great, so it is a personal taste and body style.

In terms of desks, since your title had that too, look at getting an adjustable one. Normal desks are too high for computer use. They were designed for writing. Now of course you can get them with a keyboard tray but that has limited space, is often flimsy, and can have your monitor too high. Better is to get one that'll adjust to the level you need. First you dial in your chair to be at its most comfortable, then adjust the desk to be at the right level so your arms are flat to it. Finally, adjust the monitor up to the right height (this is assuming an LCD).

Also if it is a motorized adjustable, you can stand up when you want. It is good to stand periodically. While you can (and should) stand up and take a break, this will let you stand and keep working/playing, and then sit down easily when you are tired of standing.

My recommendation in that regard is a Geekdesk.. They are really well designed and not that expensive when it comes to motorized desks. You can also get one that is just the legs n' motors, if you want to buy your own top. I went for the max, since its controller can store presets. I have one button press to go to my prefered standing height, and another press takes it back to sitting height. They are like $1100 shipped in the US for the most expensive model, and less if you go for the regular Geekdesk or for just the frame and get your own top.

There are plenty of other motorized desks available, they are just more expensive. However if you find the Geekdesk's look too utilitarian, you can look in to one of them. Expect to pay more in the range of $1800-$3000 depending on brand and options.

A good chair plus a good, correct height, desk go a long way to proper comfort and ergonomics.

There are plenty of other motorized desks available, they are just more expensive. However if you find the Geekdesk's look too utilitarian, you can look in to one of them. Expect to pay more in the range of $1800-$3000 depending on brand and options.
I've been looking at the Humanscale Float which is $2249 with customizations. It is a shame the Humanscale M8 can only hold 18.6kg of weight. :(

HM has a decent sale around November/December just about every year.

I have the Raynor Ergohuman and I still can't believe I paid that for a chair. I think I made a thread in genmay a few years back and there were lots of suggestions for the ergohuman. If I remember correctly, the price was mid $500's shipped when I bought it, so prices must have gone up.

I got a Steelcase Think Chair off craigslist a few months ago for $125 . I like it pretty well, it doesn't have the lumbar support which I think it needs for my lower back but all in all I cant really complain since it was so cheap. Got sick of replacing those $150 office depot leather chairs every year and my back getting all sweaty in the summer sitting in them.

http://store.steelcase.com/brochures/think?WT.srch=1&kwid=cb1a061b1f244eeab9253b7217fb7efc

I use a herman mesh chair at work, have the later models with a seat "cushion" in our boardroom.

A co worker has that 1k chair the embody and while it "feels" nice, its not too much of an improvement in feel to be honest. I tried it for a day and to "sit" correctly didn't mesh. Results vary depending on your posture and back condition. ie pinched nerves, weight on your gut etc

At home I plop down on a $100 pleather chair and game in it for hours on end. Work is another deal though as your seating position is vastly different when you are in a professional environment.

I use a herman mesh chair at work, have the later models with a seat "cushion" in our boardroom.

A co worker has that 1k chair the embody and while it "feels" nice, its not too much of an improvement in feel to be honest. I tried it for a day and to "sit" correctly didn't mesh. Results vary depending on your posture and back condition. ie pinched nerves, weight on your gut etc

At home I plop down on a $100 pleather chair and game in it for hours on end. Work is another deal though as your seating position is vastly different when you are in a professional environment.

That is good feedback and I agree at home you aren't concerned about posture, it more of a comfort thing! I'm leaning towards the Raynor Ergohuman at the moment but haven't pulled the trigger on placing an order just yet. :confused:

Thanks for the opinions folks! :D

http://www.officemax.com/office-furniture/chairs/product-prod3110014

This is what I use, it can be had for around $130 when you get their common 20% off bags / coupons.
I cannot compare it to some of the super chairs as I have never used them but it has a lot of the same features. But it does lumbar, tilt, recline, up down.

I have used some cheaper herman miller chairs in the $200-500 range and they aren't as good as the one I linked above.

I've gone through a couple. It's just the most I've ever been willing to spend hehe.

Man, I used to think it was crazy to shell out so much for a chair until I realized how many chairs I'd gone through since I got into computers/gaming. At one point I was going through about 1 chair a year which, at $80 to $150 a pop, really adds up. Granted, some of them probably met an earlier-than-usual demise, considering how I treated them in my teens vs now, but the majority were just cheaply made.

I justified the purchase of my Ergohuman by comparing its large up-front cost to the total I had spent on all chairs over the prior 10 years (which is how long it is warrantied for). And, considering that I got mine on the cheap (~$350) from Staples with a 30% or 35% off coupon, the choice was easy.

Now, almost 5 years later, my Ergohuman is in basically the same exact condition as the day I bought it (minus a few arm-rest scratches from the dog). Occasionally I have to re-tighten the headrest but that's about it.

Last edited:
Using a Herman Miller Embody. I haven't tried any other chairs in the poll, but I can say I'm highly satisfied with the Embody.

The best thing to do is get a standing desk, though. :)

Back