Let's speculate when the 7 series will see a price drop!

two, the 7990 hits and is more available than the 6990 was.

The only reason the 6990 was 'less available' is because all of the bitcoin people were buying them. I know first hand because it was hell even trying to find a 5970 during that time.

Just ordered a 7850, temporarily out of stock though, yeah not gonna wait any longer.

Just ordered a 7850, temporarily out of stock though, yeah not gonna wait any longer.

I did the same. For what it is worth, I don't think the 7850 prices will really be affected by the 680. Whenever Nvidia releases competitive cards they may drop some depending on Nvidia's price/perf. There's too much room between the 7870 and 7850 price wise for the GTX680 to do much.

No one's dropping prices until 28nm production steps up.

The 680 is nothing more than an overclocked 7970@1Ghz that was paper launched. No need for AMD to lower prices at all when they can just release 1 performance driver and take the crown back plus they will be releasing Ghz+ edition 7970s in the near future in spite of there being a ton of factory overclocked 7970s already. The only thing Nvidia has going for them is the auto overclocking cheat that users can't turn off, which should be enough to win them benchmarks and fool idiot uninformed consumers, fanboys and stupid reviewers that want advertisement dollars from those selling that card.

The 680 is nothing more than an overclocked 7970@1Ghz that was paper launched. No need for AMD to lower prices at all when they can just release 1 performance driver and take the crown back plus they will be releasing Ghz+ edition 7970s in the near future in spite of there being a ton of factory overclocked 7970s already. The only thing Nvidia has going for them is the auto overclocking cheat that users can't turn off, which should be enough to win them benchmarks and fool idiot uninformed consumers, fanboys and stupid reviewers that want advertisement dollars from those selling that card.

I don't know man, nVidia has a really compelling product at the $499 pricepoint, regardless if the autoclocking feature can be turned off or not. I understand that AMD could bump up the default clockspeed and fix their drivers, but until they do that, nVidia will still be the logical choice if you're a customer looking for that level of performance.

Ok, taking your post in consideration, please be kind to explain what justifies the 7970 being $50-70 more than the 680?
Don't tell me availability, because the 680 is "hard to find" but not impossible. It's in stock daily (Amazon/Newegg) before people grab them.

The only thing Nvidia has going for them is the auto overclocking cheat that users can't turn off, which should be enough to win them benchmarks and fool idiot uninformed consumers, fanboys and stupid reviewers that want advertisement dollars from those selling that card.

Yes its clearly a cheat....:rolleyes:

Intel CPU's do the same thing..is that a cheat also?

I think I'm going to buy a 7870 right away, I don't want to wait until mid may or June.

Now the question is: sapphire or msi twin frozr? Will the sapphire be limited in oc'ing at all compared to msi?

MSI has the advantage of a 3 year warranty versus the Sapphire 1 year warranty.

Ok, taking your post in consideration, please be kind to explain what justifies the 7970 being $50-70 more than the 680?
Don't tell me availability, because the 680 is "hard to find" but not impossible.

Oh but it very much is availability. Lowering prices is counterproductive when building a brand when you can simply launch a new SKU. Besides GPGPU performance of the 680 is pretty bad to say the least. Both IHVs do not want a repeat of the GTX2xx and HD4xxx generation. Nvidia's reaction to the 4870 (lowering prices of the GTX260) is an example of what not to do because it plunged both of them into a price war they could not sustain. The only reason this happened is because AMD was desperately looking to recover market share. Sure consumers benefited greatly but it was bad for both IHVs, in fact it caused Nvidia to post it's only ever operating loss AFAIR.

It's in stock daily (Amazon/Newegg) before people grab them.
This is not true. I'm actually looking to buy one myself to test it out and check newegg several times a day for it and it has been OOS. And no I'm not going to pay over $600+tax for a 2GB video card at Amazon when I can buy a 7970 for less at newegg, overclock it and have better performance plus more RAM and better GPGPU performance.

Yes its clearly a cheat....:rolleyes:

Intel CPU's do the same thing..is that a cheat also?
AMD does it too and in both cases we can turn it off if we chose to, Nvidia gives us no such choice. The people who complained about high pricing should be more upset about this because it sets a bad precedent.

This feature is obviously here to stay otherwise they wouldn't have spent the resources needed to come up with it. This means enthusiasts will not be able to take 100% control of their hardware again when it comes to Nvidia and in turn gives Nvidia an excuse to charge a premium for an "unlocked" card which overclocks the traditional deterministic way. This is not progress in my eyes, because it can be used in reverse to artificially cripple hardware.

Sure it may give non technically inclined users a better value but most of those people do not buy $500 video cards, we enthusiasts do. We pay those high prices for features that have been standard for several generations of hardware now. Now we see those features taken away and on top of that we have limits placed on the freedom we have to tinker with our hardware.

Last edited:
Back