Let's discuss powerline adapters as a poor man's Ethernet

Kongar

Gawd
I'm interested in people's experiences with these and I wanted to share some of my tricks. I've managed to go from "unusable" to "pretty darn good". So much so, that I don't know if it's worth tearing apart walls to install Ethernet cable like I want to.

First off - I'm using the TL-PA511 from TP-Link. I first used them in my old house - didn't work - chalked it up to "this house's power is noisy and that's that" Upon moving and trying again, I got awesome performance out of them - at first... Then as we unpacked, they went to completely unusable again. I figured out that certain things really mess with them. In my case it was two 120VAC to 12VDC power transformers - one on a digital picture frame, and another on a desk lamp. Plug the lamp or picture frame in - boom - busted connection. Unplug the frame and lamp - awesome speeds. Such a simple thing, and I wondered how many people's experiences were similarly ruined by a single device in their house. Additionally, I've noticed that just about everything degrades performance upon plugging it in - but it's usually only by a little bit. Thus, my tricks:

1) unplug everything in your house (seriously) and use that as a baseline
2) plug everything back in one device at a time (or one room at a time) and monitor your performance
3) remove things that mess with your performance (I'll bet there's only a couple of offenders)
4) Don't plug them into surge protectors (the manual clearly states this).
5) Despite the manual's warnings - power strips of the non surge protecting type and extension cords seem to have no effect on performance.
6) I've noticed no difference based on which leg of the power feed I'm on
7) There's software for monitoring their speed - the disk that came with the devices has old software that doesn't work. Download from their website and that works much better.
8) There's also firmware upgrades. I noticed a speed increase upon flashing all the firmware - the firmware helps them deal with noise better (according to patch notes)
9) I've noticed that by adding more powerline adapters to the network - performance increases. Not a ton - but it's for sure there, and repeatable. I do not understand why...

Things I can't figure out/don't know:
1) why some devices always under perform regardless of location (poor quality control?)
2) why some locations in the house under perform regardless of device used (crappy wiring?)
3) anyone ever used the ones that broadcast a wireless signal? I'm tempted to try one in my daughter's room to extend my weak wireless signal there. But those are a bit pricey...
4) why does the speed move around? Sometimes a particular node screams along, and then it'll slow down inexplicably. Again, it's easy to blame "noise" but I'm learning that there's usually a reason or a source that can be eliminated. DUnno maybe this one really is "noise"

You guys got any other tricks? Am I crazy for using these so much? I'm getting consistently around 120Mbps connections at most outlets, and seriously - no noticeable ping increases... (maybe 1 or 2 ms, that's it). It's getting harder and harder to justify knocking holes in the walls for Ethernet cabling...

I'm interested in people's experiences with these and I wanted to share some of my tricks. I've managed to go from "unusable" to "pretty darn good". So much so, that I don't know if it's worth tearing apart walls to install Ethernet cable like I want to..... I figured out that certain things really mess with them. In my case it was two 120VAC to 12VDC power transformers

Ethernet doesn't have crazy interference issues like power-line networking, IMO you kind of answered your own question.

You guys got any other tricks? Am I crazy for using these so much? I'm getting consistently around 120Mbps connections at most outlets, and seriously - no noticeable ping increases... (maybe 1 or 2 ms, that's it). It's getting harder and harder to justify knocking holes in the walls for Ethernet cabling...

I wouldn't say you're crazy for using something that's relatively cheap and is meeting your needs. I personally wouldn't call it the best solution, but if it works for you and you are happy with it - then why not?

I use TP-Link power adapters also. Less now since I originally got them to use with the xbox360 which had no wireless built-in, located in an awkward spot to run a cable, and they work fine. They have basic connectivity and easy to setup.

Experience will vary with different products and home electrical wiring.

For me, I lucked out with TP-Link TL-PA6010KIT that consistently performs at about 260Mbps unidirectional and 120 to 160Mbps bidirectional (appears to be half duplex) with ~1ms latency regardless if the plugs are on different floors, on the same wall plate or on a UPS running on battery to simulate no interfering device. Only issue is no connectivity when plugs come out of sleep but there's a utility to disable power saving to fix this.

http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?3666-how-to-solve-some-powerline-adapters-can%92t-be-waked-up-by-some-network-adapters

3) anyone ever used the ones that broadcast a wireless signal? I'm tempted to try one in my daughter's room to extend my weak wireless signal there. But those are a bit pricey...

I wouldn't use any of those wireless repeater or extender unless you really have no choice. I also got a TL-pa6010. My wireless connection is really bad on my second floor. So I went out and got myself a asus rp-N53. Even though it said repeater this one have a setting to let to switch to an access point and is also dual band and have a ethernet port. So what i did is connect my powerline to the switch on my second floor and connect my asus rp-n53 to the switch as well. Bam! fast wireless conncection on both 2ghz and 5ghz bands. Still i wish i could afford a Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC 802.11AC. But wife is complaining about slow wireless issue and i just had a baby. So money is kind of a issue atm. So i went the cheapman route and it work =)

If you go this route you might not need a switch since is in your daughter room. I got a switch cause i got my gaming console connected to it. Just connect the powerline to the asus rp-n53 ethernet port. Note that the ethernet is not a gigabyte port. But i don't see a issue here since you are using it as a access point.

I use them for expanding customers wi-fi etc. because they are quick to install and setup.

Time is money.

Back