Let's discuss Blu-ray playback quality

Are you having any problems with bluray playback? Who has the best playback quality?

Please list the following for your setup:

Playback software:
GPU:
Driver rev. :

My situation:

I've been using an 8400GS ever since I sold my GTX 285, and using PowerdDVD 9 (and 7, and 8) my playback is too bright/washed out (e.g. black is now grey). I don't recall this behavior using my 285, is this a function of Purevideo revisions between the two cards?

Apparently I'm not the only one having this issue.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=106536

I tried using WMC but it uses PDVD for playback so I'm out of luck there. I'm going to try MPC and AnyDVD-HD next.

Playback software: Powerdvd 9, 8, and 7
GPU: XFX 8400GS
Driver rev. 195.62

OK, I just had to change the Dynamic Range to 0-255 in the NVIDIA control panel. I guess that forces PDVD to use that range.

Yep, that also gets rid of the two different colored black bars when watching 2.35:1 material on a 16:10 monitor in WMC (gray from the DVD and dark grey inserts at the top/bottom edge from MC)

Try using a different video renderer. I like to use Haali's. VMR9 and EVR are good too.

Haali isn't a renderer, its a splitter that enumerates the A/V streams to their respected playback filter. For Win7 it uses Media Foundation and doesn't playback Blu-rays.

I am using the following,
Asus mobo with 9300 chipset
Power DVD 8
LG BD/HD-DVD Combo drive
Panasonic Plasma

BluRay and HD-DVD look very good on this system.
I also have an HD-DVD drive for my Xbox 360 and the movies look pretty much identical on both machines. I don't have 2 copies of the same movie so I can't do an AB comparison.

I also got a Panasonic BD60 player for xmas and it looks the same as my HTPC.

It's been a few months since I last used my HTPC to play a BD movie, but I think it does load up the movies faster than the Panasonic player. It seems like it takes at least 3+ minutes from the time you put the disc in till you can start the movie.

Haali isn't a renderer, its a splitter that enumerates the A/V streams to their respected playback filter.

Haali is a person. He's developed both a splitter and a renderer that is part of the Haali Media Splitter package.

Haali isn't a renderer, its a splitter that enumerates the A/V streams to their respected playback filter.

O noes!

Untitled-116.png

I recall reading somewhere that the 8000 series Nvidia chipsets don't have the full compliment of video processing capability of the 9000 and 200 model lines. This may be manifesting in the way that they are able to make use of PureVideo HD as well as how they utilize renderers like Haali... I know that my Asus motherboard that had an 8200 chip didn't produce as nice a picture (SD or HD) as my newer Asus HTPC motherboard that has a 9300 chip on board. I'll be able to compare them against a 5770 Radeon card soon as well.

There is something else at play if you are experiencing PQ differences. There should be exactly no difference between those chipsets. My HTPC is built around an Nvidia 8200 and looks identical to my 4890 in my workstation when both are hooked up with HDMI, use the same player/settings, and play back the same file.

Back