Let RX 580 Overclocking hype train begin.. LOL

NKD

[H]F Junkie
http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-580-570-560-3dmark-performance-benchmarks/

AMD-Radeon-RX-580-3DMark_1-1140x532.png

I guess you miss the point. Final clocks are 1340. These tests are apparently running at 1500mhz. Now if the revisions are getting to 1500mhz with OC that is pretty good thing but then again. We had the same type of hype before so I am staying cautious. But I don't remember seeing any screenshots of actually clocks and tests run at 1500 last time excluding extreme cooling of course.

Still want to see some power figures. There is one change AMD mentioned in regards to Ryzen that could easily apply to Polaris and significantly affect the performance curve.

Still curious they didn't add faster memory, but that may be a partner choice. Another possibility is the cards will be even cheaper because AMD purchased "inventory at favorable terms" when Nvidia refreshed with faster memory. Assumption was for Vega, but could have been Polaris.

I think it's probably just a cost to performance benefit for faster ram. They might not have seen it worth the cost it raised for the Cards.

So it overclocks just like last batches of rx480s? What news are there to it?

You want to point me to percentage of rx 480 that overclock to 1500mhz guarantee? 4 I have tried crapped out at 1330 to 1350 and that was pretty recent I built systems with. I am simply sick and tired of people claiming rx 480s clock to 1500mhz, when they don't. 1 out of 100 doesn't really count. Or a GPU-z screenshot. I am sure I can get in to windows and snap a screenshot. May be a few got lucky.

If all recent 480s were clocking to 1500mhz I am sure we would have shit load of threads about it here.

yea my 480 only does about 1425 but honesty its in my backup rig and i havet really tried to push it.

yea my 480 only does about 1425 but honesty its in my backup rig and i havet really tried to push it.

Yea there is no set thing with rx 480. I set mine to 1400 and it was actually averaging 1240'ish becuase it would throttle back but gpuz will say 1400 stable. I got better results lowering the voltage and lowering the clocks to 1330-1350 and I was sustaining those clocks under 3d. I used GPUz monitoring to see the clocks every 10 mins. 480s are all over the place and the ones that do 1400 or above is very rare. I can't think of a review that did 1400 stable off top of my head.

480s are very power limited, setting higher clock does not mean its sustaining it. it will down clock the hell out of itself to stay below the max power set in bios.

You want to point me to percentage of rx 480 that overclock to 1500mhz guarantee?
I know of at least 2, so 0.01% of rx480s certainly do hit 1500. Consider that we're dealing with possibly cherry picked unit and not statistic on clock binning, after all, so anecdotal sample of 2 suffices for my point.
1 out of 100 doesn't really count.
We are dealing with literally 1 out of lord knows how many 580s as well.

I wouldn't be shocked if were able to get better clocks now. It can happen. But 1 580 isn't enough to find out if they will.

Now if 580's start coming out clock at 1400-1450 then yea I could believe it.

You could most probably overclock this card a lot?
Clock speed maybe 1600 mhz ?
Memory speed maybe 2300 mhz ?
or am i dreaming?
I am sure living in cold areas must be awesome so overclocking must be easy?
how do you reckon the pricing will work?
cheaper or same as the RX4 series?

or am i dreaming?

OC is unlikely to change much if any. And price will if any go up.

or am i dreaming?

If clock speed is 1600mhz, NV won't be able to touch it. If it's the same clocks as the 1060 (which will probably be called the 1060ti), the RX 580 will lay waste to it. Any memory overclock would be a big boost in performance also, which is possible. Don't think it'll reach 1600mhz base clock though, but boost may be able to go that high. Given that it should OC at least as high as boost, i'd say OC could reach 1600mhz. No guess on price, but it'll certainly be the perf/$ winner regardless of where it ends up that's all but guaranteed.

or am i dreaming?
You probably are.
Given that it should OC at least as high as boost
Never a given with AMD stuff after Ryzen debacle.

So that 1500mhz card is the RX 580. Well so much for the 1060 then.

Am I the only one sitting back laughing at posts like this?

WHO CARES?! When was the last time anyone gave a shit about a 1060 and below? Forever, because it is old news and boring.

What makes it even funnier is that you have people dry humping a refresh of a 480 because its beating the second lowest card offering from Nvidia.. It doesn't matter. It is a pointless argument. When your highest offering is just beating the competitions second from the bottom offering, you're doing it wrong.

WHO CARES?! When was the last time anyone gave a shit about a 1060 and below? Forever, because it is old news and boring.

What makes it even funnier is that you have people dry humping a refresh of a 480 because its beating the second lowest card offering from Nvidia.. It doesn't matter. It is a pointless argument. When your highest offering is just beating the competitions second from the bottom offering, you're doing it wrong.

Funny lol, That is a bit too vivid of a picture lol.

gotta get that out of my head now lol.

Oh now now, don't encourage your inbred brother. Clearly you don't care about the 1060 but of course you are in the vast minority. But i'll tell you who does care: nvidia. ;)

Reactions: Zuul
like this
Your opinion on anything nV/AMD is almost as interesting to anyone as Shintai's on anything AMD/Intel-nV. So, go figure.

Try with arguments. It always works better. Unless you end up short there.

Anyways, what i find really funny is the gall AMD had to literally rebrand a GPU die itself.

They have done that plenty of times in the past as well. Why is that so funny?

Anyways, what i find really funny is the gall AMD had to literally rebrand a GPU die itself.

Nothing wrong with re brands they just better make sure price fits to what it can do that is all. Current rx4xx prices would be good to, they did increase the performance a bit. its not going to shift the market any but at least its something to keep their cards selling at current rates. It would be better if they lowered prices, but I don't think they have the margins to do it.

Oh now now, don't encourage your inbred brother. Clearly you don't care about the 1060 but of course you are in the vast minority. But i'll tell you who does care: nvidia. ;)

I am in the vast minority? Of people that don't care about the 1060? I just want to make sure I am understanding you correctly, because this comment is loltastic.

I am in the vast minority? Of people that don't care about the 1060? I just want to make sure I am understanding you correctly, because this comment is loltastic.

You can't seriously be having trouble understanding that? I"m not even going to bother, figure it out on your own while you are loltasticing

You can't seriously be having trouble understanding that? I"m not even going to bother, figure it out on your own while you are loltasticing

I can have a conversation about video cards with 20 different people and do you know how often a 1060 is mentioned? Never. Why? Because Nvidia only released it so they could fuck around with AMD. The 1070 and up is all anyone really cares about and quite frankly the 1070 is debatable considering what a great card the 1080 is for a bit more.

1060 isn't relevant. The only thing that even remotely makes it a topic is the fact that AMD are floundering and this is the closest thing to compare to that shitfest.

This is the same as videocardz right

idk I saw this at wccftech, don't remember seeing it at videocardz. Reason I mentioned hype train in the title because it was from wccftech. This is more believable since we have been hearing about refresh will likely clock higher. May be AMD for once make overclockers a little happy.

Power color is going to have a rx 580 golden sample lol. I am wondering what that is all about, triple slot cooler and shit.. shit looks like its running at 2ghz. hahah.

upload_2017-4-9_15-30-45.png

https://videocardz.net/powercolor-radeon-rx-580-8gb-red-devil-golden-sample/

Really still will never understand why people believe anything WCCF publishes.

Remember they continually propped up the RX480 as being the second coming of Jesus. Nothing but bullshit from that site. lol

Really still will never understand why people believe anything WCCF publishes.

Remember they continually propped up the RX480 as being the second coming of Jesus. Nothing but bullshit from that site. lol

Well there are two authors on that site, mohammed and ali I think it was, both those guys just make up shit.

idk I saw this at wccftech, don't remember seeing it at videocardz. Reason I mentioned hype train in the title because it was from wccftech. This is more believable since we have been hearing about refresh will likely clock higher. May be AMD for once make overclockers a little happy.

Power color is going to have a rx 580 golden sample lol. I am wondering what that is all about, triple slot cooler and shit.. shit looks like its running at 2ghz. hahah.

View attachment 21445

Cooling doesn't matter, just have to know the voltage these things are running at, then we will know the max frequencies pretty easily.

We can try to put a 4 slot cooler on a Pascal cards, still won't go past that 2 to 2.1 ghz, just won't happen.
Again a respin won't do miracles for frequency, I think 1500 is max on these things. That is a good boost up from what they had before.

View attachment 21445

Yeah that's an awesome looking card IMO.

This exchange between zerocool and a Gigabyte rep on Reddit is verrry interesting. Considering that the RX 480 was the very first 14nm product from GloFo it isn't hard to imagine the clocks going up a fair bit for Polaris 20.

1zez2hz.jpg

Yeah that's an awesome looking card IMO.

This exchange between zerocool and a Gigabyte rep on Reddit is verrry interesting. Considering that the RX 480 was the very first 14nm product from GloFo it isn't hard to imagine the clocks going up a fair bit for Polaris 20.

1zez2hz.jpg

What's interesting about this? that some kid made up a random number?

The GPU will be as likely to hit 6141 Mhz as having gold bars fly out of your ass at the dinner table.

Again a respin won't do miracles for frequency, I think 1500 is max on these things.
TechReport said:
Merritt goes on to comment on the techniques AMD has reportedly employed to reduce Zen's switching capacitance by 15% when compared to existing chips. Zen is apparently the first design where AMD used metal-insulator-metal (MIM) capacitors, a move that's said to allow reduced processor voltage and more fine-grained control over per-core frequency and voltage.
I'd say a likely 15%+ reduction in power, although I'd expect gains on a GPU to exceed CPUs with their parallel nature and power draw patterns. Clocks likely closer to max as we've seen with Zen and limited overclocks as they naturally operate close to their theoretical peaks. Hardly a miracle, but fixing the sloppy process issue that was speculated on a while back. That's independent of other process improvements.

Back