Leopard Upgrade Strategy

Bacillus

Limp Gawd
I was going to make this into a poll, but it hangs when I try to. Oh well.

1. Install Leopard on day 1
2. Install 10.5 a few days / weeks after the release
3. Install 10.5 when 10.5.1 or 10.5.2 is released
4. Skip 10.5 / no upgrade
5. Hybrid upgraded; some machines upgraded, others not

I'll wait a couple of months to see if there's any major bugs. Just like I do with any major upgrade.

I'm planning to jump right on as soon as I can get/preorder a copy with my gov't or student discount.

I have a handful of computers already, so it doesn't bother me to jump on even if there are bugs. My MacBook is a play system anyway, it's my toy.

As much as I should hold off... the new dock is too pretty.. Ill go day 1

I'm planning on grabbing it Day 1 with my student discount. I'd prefer to pick it up at my school computer store, but I'll order it online if I have to and I get free shipping.

option 6. buy a new machine with leopard preloaded as soon as it's available installed on machines

Not a fan of the new dock... I do like the new whatever you call them, that pops out of the dock.. .lol, I know, I should look up the name, but I am too tired. Docklets? Eh, no clue.

The word you're looking for is Stacks.

I'm going to incur the wrath of the mods for saying this, but I'll "try" it out as soon as it's released in retail forum. I'm sure it's going to be a satisfying experience though. Soon after, I'm getting a MacPro or another MBP equipped with Leopard; this time 17" with the HD display upgrade. Haven't decided if I want to sell this C2D MBP yet. Really depends how much it will fetch.

For those that are wondering, the .1 releases of each major release of OS X are as follows (according to wikipedia):
10.0 -> 3 weeks
10.1 -> 2.5 weeks
10.2 -> 3.5 weeks
10.3 -> 3 weeks
10.4 -> 2.5 weeks

So it looks like if you're waiting for the .1, it's likely that you won't be waiting terribly long - probably middle to end of November if it's released at the end of October.

Personally I'm tempted to go out and get it as soon as I can get my student discount on it, but I'll probably end up waiting a few weeks, but who knows - maybe do a test install right away on a separate partition or something.

No, that's weeks. And what I meant by 10.0, 10.1 etc, was the time it takes from 10.x.0->10.x.1.

From wikipedia:
Mac OS X v10.4.0 (build 8A428), released April 29, 2005 (retail)
Mac OS X v10.4.1 (build 8B15), released May 16, 2005

That's just 2 weeks plus a couple days for the first point release.

The intervals do tend to get longer after 10.x.1, but in some cases still not much over a month (although sometimes several months in between, which has of course been the case lately).

Back