Lenovo vs. Dell Business Laptops

ihmcguinness

Limp Gawd
I am trying to decide between a W510 and E6510. I have been a longtime IBM/Lenovo user, and am not entirely sold on Lenovo's recent build quality. It's not bad by any means, but I am at least open now to checking out a Latitude. Does anyone have experience with both companies' RECENT offerings?

Since both laptops are relatively new, I know the E6510 is very similar to the E6500, and W510 to the W500. Any insights into overall quality (especially display quality and keyboard interface)?

The W510 was great...but I can't in good faith suggest it right now. No 15.6" FHD screen to be found. If it comes back, buy it.

The E6510 won't have 4 memory slots, and won't have quad capability.

HP's EliteBook 8540W is the laptop to beat in 15". Quad support + 4 memory slots like the W510, plus it'll have a better screen if you go with the new DreamColor screen, and better video whether you go with the Quadro 1800M or the FirePro equivalent of the 5850. (Hasn't been released yet, apparently)

The E6510 has the option for i7-720 quad core. And though the EliteBook is interesting, it is waaaay too expensive (as far as I can tell, it's gonna be well over 2k with a quad). I am looking at 1800ish max.

Need a quad core i7, dedicated graphics (but not really high end), and a FHD screen.

I just bought a Thinkpad T410s and I'm impressed. Before I was a big Dell fan but this laptop has changed my mind. The fan makes no noise and it is blazing fast with and i5 and ssd. The only thing that I'm having trouble with is the sensitivity of the touchpad. I'm used to my mac powerbook and how smooth scrolling was. Maybe I just ned to get used to the new laptop.

huge fan of the lenovo's over hp/toshiba/dell's offerings, just ordered a x201 for myself with an i5.. i'll use it for traveling and leave my aw m17x at home :)

we've been bringing in the lenovo's (various models) for clients and have heard nothing but great things anywhere from battery life to overall performance from the systems.

i have used 3 different lenovos and they are tanks.... that said HP's elitebooks seem to be similar in build quality and looking more and more attractive.

i would go with which ever you can get the features you want for the lowest price....

My vote goes with the Lenovo. I have had the e6500 and the top lower left bezel next to the tackpad became extremely hot. Core i7 users are reporting the same problem with the 6510 as their palm rests just above a very hot CPU when it is under full load. Also both the Dell and Lenovo are in short supply depending upon display selection. Lenovo's HD+ screen units have been on back order with my US supplier for months. He currently has close to 500 units on back order. The Lenovo website notes a 3-4 week delay for orders with that panel. I have heard of a number of shipping deferrals with Dell as well for similar spec display. For price you can't beat some of the deals that Lenovo puts out there.

Back