Lenovo Introduces Familiar Keyboard

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
Lenovo recently introduced a new wired keyboard that mimics their popular T400 laptop keyboard, sans touchpad. The designers share their process in a blog post and talk about how they came to this final version. It’s fat but I like it. It’d make an awesome HTPC keyboard, if only it was wireless.

The keyboard layout, touch and feel matches the T400s as close as humanly possible. This includes the updates to the now famous “supersized” escape and delete keys as well as the volume and mute buttons. We also removed the touchpad and dedicated numberpad.

I hate those little pointing sticks, but touchpads kind of suck too.

I'll pass. But it does look quite cool.

I was hoping they would just convert the old IBM USB Travel Keyboard with UltraNav by adding a wireless module to it.

As much as the nipple pointer is ok on the move, I find myself using the trackpad on my R50 all the time.

Would have loved for this to have had trackpad too :(

People like to trash on keyboard, clits, bumps, nipples, or bumps. But I find they allowed me to work more fluidly on a computer. I could move the pointer around the screen flawlessly without having to move any part of my hand away from my standard touch typing pose.

The other issue is that I find my self flubbing the touch pad on my current laptop randomly when part of my hand touches on the rare occasion when I play a game like Quakelive.

I'll be looking to purchase one or two of these keyboards.

it just look ugly and useless...

they really need a better design on this, its a pain to use those keyboard.

i dont like how IBM puts the function key where the ctrl key goes.. why do i have to relearn how to use a keyboard..

that is one crappy looking piece of crap. I almost threw out a busted thinkpad at the shop because I thought it was to old to salvage parts off, it didn't have a touchpad, who makes a laptop without a touch pad. That plus the thick boxy design and I thought it was from the 90s

Millions of people agree that ThinkPads have always had and always will have the best keyboards on laptops, so... a handful of people dissing this one basically is just static lost in the praise. Only thing I don't find particularly appealing: the price. Seems a bit high but, considering if I buy one it'll probably last 5 years or more that makes it worth every penny considering the amount of time, effort, and research done in developing such a product.

Disclaimer: I'm currently typing on an IBM keyboard that's 14 years old, and I type 105 wpm, and after owning it for 7 years of daily usage, the letters still haven't worn off the home row keys at all - can't say that for any other keyboard I've ever used in the past from any other maker. It's built like a tank, soft-touch (never could stand the true tactile 'click clack' boards), and it just works.

I can't imagine why this new one from Lenovo could be any different.

Awesome keyboard! I want one...but first I have to get my KeyTronic LT-Designer Lifetime Warranty keyboard replaced. :rolleyes:

Touchpads just absolutely blow. The thinkpad trackpoint is so far superior to any touchpad as well as an other brand's nipple/clit/bump things that it isn't even funny.

And as for the keyboard, I type 20wpm faster on my thinkpad than I do on my Logitech G15.

That keyboard is pretty damn sweet.

I likely. Make it wireless and I got myself a HTPC KB.

Looks great, the Thinkpad keyboards kick ass. There are 3 vendors and their definitely is a first, second, third place so it would be interesting exactly which one you would get with this...but they all are miles better than most other keyboards.

I wish they would come out with a version with the numeric pad like the old version had though....I think I would get it then. I love my G15 but love my Thinkpad keyboard too.

dam i was hoping for the old ibm keyboard redux..

For some reason I was thinking similar... I don't get how people would want a laptop keyboard for their desktop... but who knows...

I fixed up my DAS keyboard, it was squeeking a little bit on the spacebar, apparently you just have to grease up where the metal bar is hooked to the plastic, no more noise except click clack :D

For some reason I was thinking similar... I don't get how people would want a laptop keyboard for their desktop... but who knows...

I fixed up my DAS keyboard, it was squeeking a little bit on the spacebar, apparently you just have to grease up where the metal bar is hooked to the plastic, no more noise except click clack :D

I'm actually faster on my T61 keyboard than I am on my old classic IBM model M.

It's personal preference... I hate every laptop keyboard I've touched... including new/older thinkpads.

Well not really hate, but if I had to type a 50 page essay on something, I'd rather be using my DAS or IBM Model M...

That would be amazing if it had a numpad.

Yea I would want a numpad as well. Still might pick one of these up for my second machine. Can't get myself away from the old school natural keyboard from MS.

Well it does have a numpad, just not a separate one. :) I've never had issues using laptop keyboards for numeric entry as required, myself, but I can see where having such a thing could prove useful to some folks...

Well it does have a numpad, just not a separate one. :) I've never had issues using laptop keyboards for numeric entry as required, myself, but I can see where having such a thing could prove useful to some folks...
You mean the fact that you can hold down the Fn key to use some of the letters as a numpad? Those are a pain in the ass to use. I can enter numbers much faster using a numpad than I can using those or the number keys above the letter area, not to mention the fact that it's much faster for performing calculations. A dedicated numpad is extremely useful for anyone who does a decent amount of math.

At first I was disgusted that Lenovo took over the thinkpad series.
Than we got those machines at work and running them as regular beaters for world travelers, VPN access, the like.

All I got to say is Lenovo is awesome.
Their support (if paid for) is amazing, hassle free, and their machines just work.
Lenovo did a fantastic job taking over the Thinkpad line by not only slashing the prices, but maintaining the integrity of a fantastic brand of laptops.

Cheers forward from here on. :D

You mean the fact that you can hold down the Fn key to use some of the letters as a numpad? Those are a pain in the ass to use. I can enter numbers much faster using a numpad than I can using those or the number keys above the letter area, not to mention the fact that it's much faster for performing calculations. A dedicated numpad is extremely useful for anyone who does a decent amount of math.

Yes, I got that much, and I have a background in accounting to some degree so I do comprehend the "need" for a dedicated numeric entry keypad. I did put a :) in the post, yanno... hehe

But in times where I'm left with no alternative, the built-in numeric keypad in laptops (meaning you enable that functionality till you turn it off, not just press Fn + a key each time) works fine for me. No, I can't reach the 10,000+ kps that I can do relatively easily with a real numpad but, hell, who does hardcore numeric input with a laptop anyway? If I had a need to do such seriously focused input, I'm plugging in a full-size keyboard with a dedicated numpad anyway.

I do have some friends that make a good living with ThinkPads as accountants "on the go" and they all own dedicated USB numeric keypads to get the job done. Hell, I used to think I was quick on the numpad but geez, those people act like it's an extension of their arms, fingers in a blur for hours... amazing. :D

Those keyboards are fucking piles of shit. Same for the little dot thing in the keyboard. I'd take a trackpad over those any day! If they break, the cursor goes wherever it feels like, and then what would you do then? And the top right layout makes me want to puke.

My school has these laptops, and they suck, I never liked the keyboard. I'll take a Logitech G15, thanks.

No, I can't reach the 10,000+ kps that I can do relatively easily with a real numpad but, hell, who does hardcore numeric input with a laptop anyway? If I had a need to do such seriously focused input, I'm plugging in a full-size keyboard with a dedicated numpad anyway.
Well, we are talking about a desktop keyboard and not a laptop. My point is that I wish this were actually a full-size keyboard so I could have the feel of the Thinkpad keyboard along with a full-size set of keys that would actually be suitable for my uses.

Those keyboards are fucking piles of shit. Same for the little dot thing in the keyboard. I'd take a trackpad over those any day! If they break, the cursor goes wherever it feels like, and then what would you do then? And the top right layout makes me want to puke.

My school has these laptops, and they suck, I never liked the keyboard. I'll take a Logitech G15, thanks.

hahaha you n00b go away

Nice job trolling.

Back