Lenovo Folio Bendable Tablet in Bendy Action

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
This is pretty damn cool if you are into this kind of thing. I see this sort of technology might be better suited to having phones that are a bit more durable in the future.

Check out the video.

Lenovo showed off their bendable tablet prototype called Folio at their Lenovo Tech World Expo.

Using this looks like it would suck... its like looking at lit up plastic wrap. :)

I agree though this could lead to some more durable hardware. Using such tech as the guts inside a more traditional phone would be great.

Seems like a better solution would be to use two screens then they come together. I think long term use the folding part is going to crack or show some kind of discolor or something.

Somehow looks really cheap, but it's a prototype....you probably will see a much refined version get released in 3-5 years.

Seems like a better solution would be to use two screens then they come together. I think long term use the folding part is going to crack or show some kind of discolor or something.

Exactly my thoughts. And it'd be right across the middle of the screen, the worst possible place.

problem is folding. folded the plastic is taught, unfolded it loosens and wrinkles and bulges up. Noone will like that.

until they figure out how to tighten the flimsy screen when unfolded, its not going to be popular. Everyone is accustomed to swiping and typing on a flat glass screen, not a wavy bulgey mess.

problem is folding. folded the plastic is taught, unfolded it loosens and wrinkles and bulges up. Noone will like that.

until they figure out how to tighten the flimsy screen when unfolded, its not going to be popular. Everyone is accustomed to swiping and typing on a flat glass screen, not a wavy bulgey mess.

Yup. Gonna need a bit of a creative solution to fix that.

Looks like a cool replacement (or complimentary role) for books. Can fold up when not in use. Can make notes on pages.

I'd rather see the foldable tablets from Westworld than something that bends slightly.

I'd rather see the foldable tablets from Westworld than something that bends slightly.
Slightly? It folds in half. I suspect a year later it probably is better than this 2016 prototype and folds a bit quicker.

That said, I don't recall what the Westworld looked like.

I noticed that the guy touched what should have been active areas of the display and didn't trigger any screen presses. Makes me wonder whether they've figured out flexible plastic capacitive touchscreens. Is it feasible to embed the capacitive layer into the OLED?

Also wonder how bad the battery life is for a given (folded) thickness, given the number of layers involved and inevitable air-gaps (plus area lost to the hinge). And what's the minimum bend radius? Is it one-way only, or can it be folded screen-in?

I dunno; feels like one of those techs where our standards of quality have been advancing at the same pace as the technology, which makes it feel forever five years out...

when folded flat, the surface is far from flat. You an see the reflections. But this has some real good potential applications. Rolling up a screen comes to mind. Store it in a tube for transport then unroll it when you need to use it.

I think this type of device is not really going to be targeted for everyday cellphone users. Lots of complaints but iterations like this lead to a better product down the road. Have to start somewhere.

So is it foldable or bendable? Because it seems to me that it only folds at one specific location. Not anywhere now that I would call impressive, this just looks like a cheapo disposable tablet.

For the first of its kind, it is good. If these will find a market, these will evolve to be less clumsy and more practical hopefully.

Back