Length of New Cards

fuzzy34

Am I Really Still [H]ere?
How long are these new cards? I'm interested in replacing my 7800GT with either a nvidia 200 series or ati 4000 series. I'm concerned about 2 things mostly. Power and size. I'm confident that my Corsair 520hx will handle it fine, but I'm unsure of my Silverstone SG01. Will it fit these new cards?

The 4850 fits with plenty of space in my Antec Solo, which isn't exactly huge. The 200's are both really long though.

My main problem with the new cards has been my HDs in the way ... easy fix moving them around.

TheMonk

HD4850 and 4870's are both 9" long so if you can fit the width of an ATX motherboard, the cards should fit

4870X2, GTX260 and 280 are both 10.5" long so same lengths as a 8800GTX or Ultra

If I am not mistaken, the 4870 is 9.5" and the 4850 is 9.25". Let me see if I can find a link or something.

4850 is about the size of your current card. gtx 280 is about an inch and a half longer. i had to move a hard drive. but it's not as long as the 3870x2 was.

I had to move a harddrive and the card also blocked two of my four SATA ports. Had I gotten a dual-slot card, it would have blocked all four SATA ports. I've read that you can use 90 degree bended SATA cables and squeeze them in under the card, though. I've got a m-ATX mobo, but even some users of poorly laid out ATX boards have had these problems.

Maybe my friend would benefit changing over to 4870s, he has 2x 9800GTXs and a p182 case, they do not fit, had to take out one hard drive bay so they could fit, he also bought a p35 board to change out his old sli board(it was only doing 8x on one PCI-x) and why he bought a p35 with 2 9800GTXs is beyond me, maybe doing some trading soon.

My main problem with the new cards has been my HDs in the way ... easy fix moving them around.

TheMonk

I agree. Even though it was a tight fit, I didn't need to do this with my Centurion 5 and 4850, but after moving my HDDs to 5.25" bays with adapters, the HDDs run cooler and I have a lot more room for my video card. I also had enough space to pop an 80mm in front of the video card for better air flow.

Has anyone tried fitting a 4870 in to an Antec Sonata 3 case? The Sonata III has an odd drive bay which points outwards. The 8800GTS 320mb that I currently have fits ok, but the power plug extends into where a fan should be, so I had to move my fan under the hard drives. If the 4870 doesn't fit then there isn't anything I can easily move.

So has anyone tried fitting a 4870 into this case? Does it fit ok?

Back