Leica D-Lux 4

RAFA

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
213
I'm looking into purchasing a Leica D-Lux 4, but I would like to know what people think about it. I know its really just a point and shoot, but do you guys think the quality if pictures it produces are inline with a decent D-SLR?
 
This was the first I'd heard of this brand - had to look it up out of curiosity.

Looks like a great little P&S to me. Here's the B&H page with what appears to be relatively comprehensive specs. I also looked at the amazon listing for it, and the user images on there looked pretty good; no apparent visual noise, but those were probably all at the low-iso settings. It goes up to ISO-3200, which is fairly decent for low-light; the lens is only 24mm-60mm - I would personally look for something with a bit more zoom capability, was under the impression most modern P&S's went up to around 200mm; 10 mega-pixel isn't a lot for modern P&S, but there's probably no reason you'll need any more than that, unless you're planning on printing a lot of photos larger than 8.5x11 inches. Lastly, B&H lists this camera for $879, and amazon for $679, both of which are more than twice what I'd say it's worth - you can get a very decent DSLR for that price and have the option of buying better lenses, flashes etc. I'd say shop around, and if that's really the going price, look into an actual DSLR

So, based on amazon and B&H listings:

Pro's: Nice ISO response, decent user images seem to be fairly low-noise, 10mp is a decent size image; edit: just realized this thing is super-tiny physically - if you're looking for something you can throw in your shirt-pocket, this might be ok.

Cons: Price, you can easily get a camera that does all this and more for around $400 or less; the 60mm lens is not a lot of optical zoom, you will probably want more capability to get closer to the subject.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Suprised you have not heard of Leica. They are one of the top camera makers in the world. For the price for a point and shoot, yeah I agree it's high. For the price for a Leica point and shoot, not too bad. For world class optics and quality you are going to pay.

http://us.leica-camera.com/photography/

However - for me - this is a venture of Leica to partner with another company. Matsushita / Panasonic. That bothers me. If I'm buying Leica, I want a pure Leica.

Edit -

Looks like you should save some cash and get the Panasonic LX3 since thats all this one is. I'm a bit surprised that Leica is offering a rebadged Panasonic as their own.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DLUX4/DLUX4A.HTM

Looks to still be very well rated though. I recent bought a Canon Powershot G9 and I have been quite happy with it. In a few of the reviews I just quickly scanned it looks as though the Panasonic is favored slightly for image quality (lower noise at higher ISO) while the Canon is favored for is wider range lens.
 
Thanks madFive, but I forgot to include that I currently own a Canon 5D Mark I, Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 35mm f/1.4L, and Canon 135mm f/2L. The reason for picking up this Leica is that I was thinking of selling my current gear as times are getting a little tight and I really haven't been using my gear as much as I should.
 
Thanks MixmanSC,

That does suck that Leica would sell almost the same camera rebadged as a Panasonic for almost half the price. The biggest difference I've read between both cameras is the software that is included, which I don't see it being worth it.

DAMN YOU LEICA !!!
 
I'd definitely give some serious consideration to the Panasonic. That and the newer Canon G10 are pretty much the pinnacle of point and shoot cameras. Beyond them you will be having to move into the real of DSLR. For me - the Canon fit the bill well as I wanted the longer zoom and I'm rarely using the camera in low light. Almost all outdoor daytime shooting so a bit of noise at iso 400 and higher does not really come into play for my use.
 
LX3 = Same thing, except for different firmware, and different RAW processing.

Save the money and get the LX3 from Panasonic.
 
This was the first I'd heard of this brand - had to look it up out of curiosity.

Looks like a great little P&S to me. Here's the B&H page with what appears to be relatively comprehensive specs. I also looked at the amazon listing for it, and the user images on there looked pretty good; no apparent visual noise, but those were probably all at the low-iso settings. It goes up to ISO-3200, which is fairly decent for low-light; the lens is only 24mm-60mm - I would personally look for something with a bit more zoom capability, was under the impression most modern P&S's went up to around 200mm; 10 mega-pixel isn't a lot for modern P&S, but there's probably no reason you'll need any more than that, unless you're planning on printing a lot of photos larger than 8.5x11 inches. Lastly, B&H lists this camera for $879, and amazon for $679, both of which are more than twice what I'd say it's worth - you can get a very decent DSLR for that price and have the option of buying better lenses, flashes etc. I'd say shop around, and if that's really the going price, look into an actual DSLR

So, based on amazon and B&H listings:

Pro's: Nice ISO response, decent user images seem to be fairly low-noise, 10mp is a decent size image; edit: just realized this thing is super-tiny physically - if you're looking for something you can throw in your shirt-pocket, this might be ok.

Cons: Price, you can easily get a camera that does all this and more for around $400 or less; the 60mm lens is not a lot of optical zoom, you will probably want more capability to get closer to the subject.


Is like you never heard of BMW...:) Leica is legendary with their film cameras and optics. For a point + shoot, you are paying the premium for "made in Germany." :)
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What is this "b m w" you speak of? ;)

lol - sorry, been a die-hard Canon fan for ages, and just recently getting into Nikon. As a creature of pure habit, I don't bother keeping up with much else in the photo industry.
 
Someone commenting on the a photography thread and hasn't heard of Leica? Interesting.

The photography world owes a lot to Leica.
 
Back
Top