Lego Batman Performance?

woel

n00b
Hi,

My girlfriend recently bought Lego Batman to play on our computer. Because of quite bad performance I managed to convince her that we needed a better graphics card. Unfortunately it did only seem to help performance slightly. As soon as a lot of things is happening in the game everything runs extremely slow, scenes with little action runs very smooth. Anyone has any ideas what the problem might be?

System:
Win XP 64 bit
Athlon X2 4200
2GB RAM
Radeon 4850 512MB

I know that the new graphics card might be overkill for my system =)

I had the same problem with performance in the game. I'm going to say, and I don't use this term lightly - the game is poorly coded.(I didn't even say that about crysis!)

The game may be badly coded but you should be able to improve it somewhat.

Check CPU usage.
You dont have a CPU capable of getting near the best from your gfx card.
Overclocking your CPU should give great rewards.

Also check memory usage in Task Manager after having run the game.
The Commit Charge / Peak figure is what you need to check.
If it exceeds the amount of memory you have (Physical Memory: Total) by much, you are running out of memory, thus making it thrash the hard drive.

Thanks for the answers. It's not only that it's sometimes slow. It's completely unplayable, so choppy that you can't even control your characters.

The recommended system requirements seem to be:
Operating System: Windows XP/ Vista
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz/AMD Athlon XP equivalent
Memory: 512MB (1GB for Vista)
Free Disk Space: 4.2GB
Video Card: 512MB RAM and Shader Model 2.0
Sound Card: DirectX compatible

Seems to me that either I have bad drivers, incompatible hardware or the game doesn't work on 64bit windows.

What do you think? I will definitively check cpu usage and memory while playing. I guess it would be easier if there is a tool which shows you that in-game.

What do you think? I will definitively check cpu usage and memory while playing. I guess it would be easier if there is a tool which shows you that in-game.

I gave you the tool that will tell you what you need, Task Manager.
It tells you your peak usage for the current Windows session so it doesnt matter when the peak memory use occurs you can still see what it was.

Yes, you're right.

But it seems a bit unlikely that the memory wouldn't be enough when they recommend 512 in XP... in vista I would definitively see the point of 4GB of ram =)

As you posted here about performance issues, its a good idea to check the basics.
Regardless of the minimum specifications, the game may actually use more memory which will make it rely on the swap file when it needs more memory.
Also if the game has a memory leak (many games do), this can make it run out of memory easily.
Attributing fault isnt what my post is about, its making sure that you can run the game without basic problems.

I think the problem is xp 64bit. if you're gonna go 64 bit best to go Vista. game runs great on 32 bit vista. 2gb ram x2 4800 and 9600 gt sli.

I've been playing this game along with all of the other Lego series with my rig in the sig running XP Pro without any slowdowns at all. I'm thinking it could be XP64bit but not sure because post # 2 had similar problems but did not state what OS he was using.

I even installed the game on my son's shuttle and he hasn't experienced any slowdowns except when loading the next map
His rig:

AMD Athlon XP 3000
1gb OCZ Platinum
6800gt
XP pro

LOL. That's awesome. "Lego Batman Performance". Sorry, I got a kick outta that. Seriously though, I did enjoy Lego Star Wars. I'm sure it's more of the same.

I've been playing this game along with all of the other Lego series with my rig in the sig running XP Pro without any slowdowns at all. I'm thinking it could be XP64bit but not sure because post # 2 had similar problems but did not state what OS he was using...

I'm running vista 64bit.

LOL. That's awesome. "Lego Batman Performance". Sorry, I got a kick outta that. Seriously though, I did enjoy Lego Star Wars. I'm sure it's more of the same.

pretty much (got Lego:Batman for the Wii), except unlike Starwars or Jones, the batman game doesn't actually follow any story like the other two. It has its own
but yer same deal as the others, 3D landscape of smashy-smashy collecty-collecty with batman twist on abilities (it is good fun playing as the baddies tho) with a water,car and plane stage

What did you upgrade the video card from?

Does the game use Physx? If so, you might want to reinstall that.

Hi,

Thanks for all answers. It doesn't seem to be a memory issue. Peak memory was only about 1.3GB. But when I disabled the sound effects the game started running a lot smoother. There seem to be an issue when there are lot of explosions and other sound effects in the game. I just wonder how to fix my drivers for my old realtek on-board sound card.

Update:
Alright I found new exciting AC97 drivers on Realteks homepage. Unfortunately that didn't improve anything...

Those fucking Realtek AC97s have given me more compatibility issues than I can remember...

Open up your sound control panel, open the "Advanced..." speaker settings, switch to the "Performance" tab, drop the hardware acceleration to "Basic". That seems to clear up a lot of issues with these things.

Well, to end this thread.

For now I'm assuming that this game would run better with an Sound Blaster X-fi titanium. I will probably purchase one soon. That will also give me the option of full surround on my 5.1 surround system since it has dd live. If Lego Batman has a problem with my OS I guess we have to live with that. I'm not ready to buy a another windows version. At least I can get a couple of other nice games that will run on my system. Seems that most games will run well on an old x2 4200 as long as you have a decent graphics card.

Thanks for all the help!

Back