Legit way to get windows 7.

BASIC

Unethical Trader
Is there a legit way to get a windows 7 beta? I had the vista betas when they came out, is microsoft doing an internal beta only?

I think with Vista there was eventually a public beta, but Windows Vista's development was such a soap opera... I'm thinking MS wants to fast-track (but not slop) the development of Windows 7 so any public beta will be brief, IMO.

Rumored to be a public beta in the next week or so.

Supposedly within the next 10-15 days we'll see an actual Microsoft-sponsored release of Beta 1 for public preview. It should be what's floating around, build 7000. Ed Bott, one of the few people that writes about Windows in general that I actually have some respect for, tore into the EULA in that build and found it labeled with B1 someplace in the identifier string which indicates it is Beta 1, or at least the closest thing to it.

I can't imagine Microsoft would have created that EULA with that particular ID string unless they were serious enough about it's stability and reliability to toss it out. On Jan 9th they're holding some seminar to do the intro "officially" to developers, etc. and after that we're supposed to see a public release. We'll see what happens.

All I can say is that "Beta 1" kicks ass, such a huge huge improvement over the old M1 and even the 6801/6956 builds recently. It's fast as all get out, stable, reliable, etc. For a first beta, it's more useful and solid in my own testing than Vista was at Release Candidate 1 stage.

I don't know who lit a proverbial fire under the developers and coders in Redmond last summer - perhaps with Bill Gates out of the picture things are actually happening? - but whoever did it should get a medal or something for it. They're kicking ass this time, and I have realized that I just might do a switch of my own very soon... from my rock solid and still incredibly wicked evil cool XP Pro x64 to Windows 7.

Yes, folks, it really is that good. :D

Can't WAIT!!!!!

I've got MSDN, can I grab the latest BETA yet?

I have 6956 installed, How is 7k better? honestly. I dont really want to have to format >.>

Side question, but will we be able to upgrade to 7 from Vista? They are the same platform, no? I know it's a bad idea and all, trust me. But I've got 50GB of episodes on my PC that will take forever to hrmm... rip from my legit DVDs all over again, and I don't have an external hard drive or anything

Funny thing:

Earlier tonight I installed Windows 7 on a "new" laptop I grabbed off Craig's List for the Wife (HP/Compaq nc8230 business class, nice solid machine). After the install was done it hit Windows Update (left it set for automatic updates for her, my own boxen don't have that setting). Sure enough, as I expected, Microsoft got around to "fixing" it - now the build info on the Desktop has a third line that says:

"This copy of Windows is not genuine"

hehehe Funny stuff, but they still allowed the updates to process, go figure.

Back