Legit? Office 2007 Ultimate @ $179.99

i bet you could install a 2007 standard edition trial (downloadable online from microsoft) and use this to "upgrade" to 2007 ultimate.

i bet you could install a 2007 standard edition trial (downloadable online from microsoft) and use this to "upgrade" to 2007 ultimate.

I hope not.

BTW OP, are you asking about this because you can't get the student deal @ the Ultimate Steal website? They have Office 2007 Ultimate for $60...just need to be a student and have a .edu address.

Last edited:
Dunno about office, but for visual studio upgrade editions can be used to upgrade from the (free) express editions. This allows MS to offer a discount to everyone except MegaCorp whose PHBs get confused by the deal and decide to just take the easy route and buy full copies via volume licensing.

Forgive me, not trying to thread crap, but what's the purpose of spending so much on an office app anyway? Do some classes require it? If so, that's crappy, you can find free apps that do the same stuff without the bloat.

Forgive me, not trying to thread crap, but what's the purpose of spending so much on an office app anyway? Do some classes require it? If so, that's crappy, you can find free apps that do the same stuff without the bloat.

Nice try, but nothing can do what the true Office suite can, in particular Excel.

If you need it you need it. Yes, many would be fine with things like OpenOffice, but many of us grew up with and like the additional features in the true Office Suite.

wait wait wait... so one giant java app is not bloated? i used openoffice for 6 months. then i realized it's crappy as all hell and i forked over the $60 for office 07 and ran it through a vm. anyone who tell you office 07 is crappy and doesn't like it clearly doesn't have it. they're the same people who are still holding onto xp claiming "vista sucks," again, without using it.

The company I work for has standardized on Office. Outlook is non-negotiable for coporate email. All sorts of things are distributed as xls. PowerPoint presentations are everywhere. Word docs are ubiquitous. Even the occasional Publisher layout shows up. It is just not worth it screwing around with anything else.

I am not a student, and am not willing to cheat for $110. I've bought OEM Office for the last couple of upgrades (I'm currently on Office 2003). I was just struck by the price of this offer, and wondered what others thought.

LOL! Sorry but I have to chime in here. Where do people get this stuff? I also wonder what people's time is worth. Some how $300 is like buying a car. Honestly after 4 or 5 hours of dicking around with something like Open Office it is just easier to spend the money and get the job done.

Don't get me wrong, if something like OO or Google Docs is all you need then sure it makes no sense to spend the money. But if your job or task REQUIRES producing professional documents or financial data, MS Office really is the only way to go. The $300 is chump change.

IMHO this is pretty good.

The best I could do on a full retail box of office 2007 ultimate (for mom -- no .edu address, no qualifying product to upgrade) was about $310 shipped.

I would have jumped on this if she was elgible for an upgrade.

Glad I'm still a student and my school gave me a copy of Office Suite '07 for free :cool:.

if its for personal use (not business use) you are better off getting a technet sub as others have said.

My dad's a professor and just writes off these purchases under his reimbursement tab. Damn academics. :)

i just use open office 3.1 for free

With the ribbon interface in the Office 2007 apps, I bet I can get shit done at twice the speed you guys can do it in Open Office. AND the end product looks much nicer.

I've spent hundreds of hours using Office 2007. I'd have spent twice as much if I was using Open Office. I value my time, so it's definitely worth it.

With the ribbon interface in the Office 2007 apps, I bet I can get shit done at twice the speed you guys can do it in Open Office. AND the end product looks much nicer.

I've spent hundreds of hours using Office 2007. I'd have spent twice as much if I was using Open Office. I value my time, so it's definitely worth it.

Ribbon interface makes me want to die, I had Office 2007 and went back to the previous version, because of that interface.

Ribbon interface makes me want to die, I had Office 2007 and went back to the previous version, because of that interface.

Its actually pretty intuitive once you get used to it. Though I will concede that it can be extremely annoying at first.

I dont think many of us are doing fancy office documents that takes alot of time so I dont think what ever efficiency differences are worth a $180 price tag

I use office btw but I've always had a free, legal version to use. I cant imagine me spending $180 for it.

open office is very much like office 2003

i mean iam not a heavy office user
i just like to be able to do spreadsheets and some word processing

so maybe for you office 2007 is a better product

Back