Legend of Grimrock 2

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
How does this game play? The original came out in 2012 and has a pretty big following.
Legend of Grimrock 2 comes out next week game looks pretty awesome updated animation with dungeon crawl RPG elements in 1st person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktv2mx9LwyU

Last edited:
Loving the re-emergence of the dungeon crawl RPG genre. Admittedly I didn't get pulled in to the original Grimrock but the second one looks amazing with outdoor environments along with the dungeons. A bit like the recent Might & Magic X - Legacy. Will definitely be keeping an eye on this one.

Playing the first game it's amazing dungeons are consuming love the combat reminds me of Dark age of Camlot Dungeons you got cold air moving though the dungeon kinda like dungeon sound effects. Just a great game can't wait to try LOG II tomorrow.

Also, the level editor from their previous game is really fun and quite simple to use, just like drawing a D&D map on graph paper.

First game is amazing, good copy of the original Dungeon Master game!

Just noticed that it comes out tomorrow (in a few minutes). I had a good time with the original game on normal. Liked it enough to play it again on a higher difficulty. 30 hours total play time.

The trailer for the new one looks like they upped the graphics at least 3 video card generations from the original. At $20, I may wait for the Christmas sale, but perhaps the reviews will rate this high enough for me to bite early.

Looks like there are already two reviews out in the wild and they love it: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/legend-of-grimrock-ii

There has been 6 or 7 reviews (the list is on one of the steam threads); all of them have been 8-9 range. RPS also revieweed it.

So far this game is pretty awesome - love the format change from floors/levels of the first game to a much more open world/hub format in this one.

....and fk those frogs that steal your equipped items until you kill them. I just about had a heart attack then my Minotaur's shiny new warhammer disappeared in the middle of fighting one the first time.

I had a really hard time with the first one. I couldn't figure out spell casting, and spell casters were utterly useless it felt like to me.

Then again, that's probably a testament to my ignorance on how to play the game. I really wanted to get into the game, but just couldn't get very far.

Casters are awesome, the damage output is fantastic.... I think I am going to remake my party with 2 Casters actually.

I had a really hard time with the first one. I couldn't figure out spell casting, and spell casters were utterly useless it felt like to me.

Then again, that's probably a testament to my ignorance on how to play the game. I really wanted to get into the game, but just couldn't get very far.

A wiki on the first game helped me extract more enjoyment out of the game. I used it a few times as a last resort for guidance on the first play through. The second playthrough I used it extensively to find all the little secrets.

OMG, this game is new to me (as in I did not know about it). I remember putting in wayyyyyy too many hours in the Eye of the Beholder games. Will have to check this out!

Thanks Tzzird. Hopefully I'm not fully incompetent, but the genre is quite new to me. I'll check it out again some other time. Is there a quick and dirty explanation of the casters to be effective? I found myself just guessing and clicking symbols...and then ultimately just failing.

Make sure you keep all your ranged characters in the back on the party so they won't be hit by melee. Good to have some tank type characters up front so your ranged guys can be more effective.

This game makes me feel like an idiot :rolleyes: Definitely no hand holding here. Played about 20 minutes and already stuck on a puzzle haha.. Refraining from looking up spoilers though :)

Bought the pre-order deal before price went up (since these guys never have sales). Haven't had a chance to play it.

I'm loving this as much as the first one. I've been at it for a few hours, restarted twice, and had a great jump scare a few minutes ago.

Started this today and I must say that it is a better game than its predecessor. Enemies are much trickier now as well, I`ve already encountered charging and backstep dodging from enemies in the starting area... Combine this with multiple enemies and it definitely is a challenge.

Surprised this game isn't getting more attention here.....it's the best game I've played this year (aside from maybe Dark Souls II)

Great game! I wonder if I should strat over and replace my Alchemist with some other ranged as I do not like him, my party is Barb, War, Mage and the Alch. What is everyone else using and how do you like it?

Currently using a Fighter/Knight in the front and Mage/Alchemist in the back. Having a constant full stock of potions is really helpful. I love how the ingredients multiply in your Alchs inventory as you play.

Using a Human Knight/(Light Weps and Heavy Armor), Minotaur Fighter/(Heavy Weps and Light Armor) in the front, and Insect Mage, Ratling/(Missile Weps and Alchemist) in the back.

Overall I'm pretty happy with my group, although I wish I had gone Heavy Weps on both of my front rank guys. Once you get some points in crit and accuracy with maxed out heavy weps...man it hits hard.
Once you max out Heavy Weps you can hold 2 handers in one hand as well, so the only benefit of using light weps is the faster recovery.....but just the nature of the hit and run tactics of the fighting more or less negates that benefit.

I didn't realize that ingredients multiply in your inventory. Maybe that doesn't happen if your holding your mats in a sack?

Just started this game, enjoying it more than I thought I would. And that coming from someone that doesn't necessarily identify as a "fan of old school dungeon crawlers". I mean I played them back in the 90's, but I could take or leave them. This game however has a special kind of something. Maybe its the puzzles and the simplicity of the thing. Its like Dark Souls and Minecraft decided to meet halfway.

If it holds my interest to the end I guess I'll go back and play the first one as well.

Last edited:
I definitely need to play the first one, but Divinity Original Sin is sucking up all my spare time. Damn game seems to go on forever....now up to 90 hours of play time.

I love this game. Very addictive, but it does kick your ass on Hardmode.

Last edited:
Finished the first playthrough on Hardmode, and I gotta say, if not for Dark Souls 2 earlier this year, this would be my game of the year. One of those rare titles that sucks you in and pushes all other games to the backburner while you're playing. And its only 1GB installed.

Starting another playthrough to have some fun with more of a min/max setup, and to find some of the secrets I missed the first time. Factoring that Lizardmen & Ratlings get free stat bonuses from eating eggs & cheese respectively, Ratling has a cool Mutation trait that grants a random stat bonus at every level, Alchemists get inventory herb multiplication (= more stat bonus potions), Minotaur Barbarian Throwers are an absolute powerhouse (and I fear will be nerfed eventually), Farmer class can reach absurd levels (18, 19, even 20 with persistence) by eating food - making him able to out-skill every character in the party at any given point of the game.

1 x Minotaur Barbarian (Throwing)
1 x Lizardman Alchemist (Heavy Weapons)
1 x Ratling Alchemist (Missiles, or Casting -- undecided)
1 x Human Farmer (Primary Caster, Potion Brewmeister w/ +5 in Alchemy, and rush to get +25% XP amulet early from the vault)

The two Alchemists won't get any points in Alchemy, all I care about is the herb multiplication. Farmer will do the actual Alchemy work, freeing up skill points for the Lizardman & Ratling to use on their offensive skills. Ironman mode (no quicksave), here I come.

Last edited:
I have a bad habit of buying awesome games on sale and then never even starting the game up until years later. Been playing this game for the last few days and it's even better than the first game. I'm about 5 hours in on normal with the default cast (fighter, barbarian, alchemist, mage I believe).

DPI: Did you end up going through Ironman mode and unlocking all the possible steam achievements? I think I did that at the end of LoG 1 but I don't see myself playing through this again.

I started with a Wizard and I just do not like the spell casting mechanism. Will eventually restart and just use melee. I did enjoy the first one though.

I started with a Wizard and I just do not like the spell casting mechanism. Will eventually restart and just use melee. I did enjoy the first one though.

My wizard does probably 60% of my dps right now. Not sure what I'd do without him! Starting out putting full skills into fire, probably going to come back and bite me later.

I have a bad habit of buying awesome games on sale and then never even starting the game up until years later. Been playing this game for the last few days and it's even better than the first game. I'm about 5 hours in on normal with the default cast (fighter, barbarian, alchemist, mage I believe).

DPI: Did you end up going through Ironman mode and unlocking all the possible steam achievements? I think I did that at the end of LoG 1 but I don't see myself playing through this again.

I don't think I restarted in Ironman but can't remember why - probably because it added needless extra time. There is a threshold where something can be more pain in the ass than fun, and I just didn't have the patience or need for the psychological badge of honor. Regardless, this game is a gem and one I will be coming back to for a fresh playthrough at some point.

As for LoG1 I got about halfway into it and bailed. Playing LoG2 first spoiled me a bit I suppose since it was improved in so many ways. The "squaredancing" that is cheesing the enemies in combat (something significantly improved in LoG2) was the main thing that didn't hold my attention. That and it became tiring combing every single wall for the few out of places pixels of a hidden switch.

Back