legal (paid for) music download

andypnb

Gawd
im not sure if this question belongs here, but im sure someone might point me in the right direction if ive got it wrong.

Facts:
My dad is getting a ROKR phone for xmas, the new ITunes one. It was free, and he gets it through work, so please refrain from "that phone sucks, dont buy it". He wants to get mp3s, legally. He wants to get one of the pay per song or per month type services, a la itunes, musicmatch, napster, yahoo and the million other ones out there.

My question is this. Which of these services allows you to download mp3s, and play them with any player, anytime, as much as you want. Out of my research, napster requires you to subscribe to play, and then only some mp3 players work, Itunes is 99c per song and seems to not download mp3s, instead the apple coded stuff.
Correct me if im wrong with any of the above, and please help me figure this out. My goal is to set him up and give him a gift subscription for whichever is best for Christmas.

Thanks is advance for any suggestions, criticisms, and clarifications.

Andy

Unfortunately, no service I know of ( legal ) allows you to natively download mp3s. Too "insecure" for them, and I doubt the music industry would stand that.

That said, itunes is "managable". There are rules to the forum that you have to observe, after all.

:D

heh. thanks.
i just wanted to say i love your user name.
having a CS degree brings back fond memories...

None of the ones you listed... However, I heartily recommend allofmp3.com. It's legality may not be as cut and dry as iTunes, but it seems to be legal in the US. The price per song is very cheap (entire albums are about $1.25), they have a great selection, and best of all, it is completely DRM free.

You can also try http://www.WeedShare.com

They don't have as many published artists as iTunes, but they are getting more and more all the time. The reason why is their model is geared towards direct payment of the artist as a rights holder.

From my experience, you get a WMA file, which, after you purchase it, it is possible to convert it to MP3 format for the phone. If you share the WMA file you purchased, your Weed account will get a little spiff if someone buys based off of your copy.

Most of the songs hover around a buck, but this varies as it is totally set by the rights holder, which is generally the artist. If you haven't signed up before, they'll give you $5 in your account when you sign up just to try things out and see if you like it.

-Mr. Crimson

Mr. Crimson said:
You can also try http://www.WeedShare.com

They don't have as many published artists as iTunes, but they are getting more and more all the time. The reason why is their model is geared towards direct payment of the artist as a rights holder.

From my experience, you get a WMA file, which, after you purchase it, it is possible to convert it to MP3 format for the phone. If you share the WMA file you purchased, your Weed account will get a little spiff if someone buys based off of your copy.

Most of the songs hover around a buck, but this varies as it is totally set by the rights holder, which is generally the artist. If you haven't signed up before, they'll give you $5 in your account when you sign up just to try things out and see if you like it.

-Mr. Crimson
Now that is awsome. A music service worth giving money to.

Back