I am sure this has happend to many people but just frustrated with my ISP and want to vent.
Well it starts off a few days ago when I went to go help our friends who just moved in and got the internet hooked up at their house. They asked me to hook up their printer they just got. Being lazy I just grabbed the printer the cable plugged it up to the computer and went to go download the drivers off the internet. I went to the HP website and started to the download (was like a 20Mb file) and turned around to get something out of my CD case and when I looked up it was done. I saw 784kB/s. Said to my self "hummmm they must have already downloaded it for their other printer and it was cached on the computer already. Hooked up the printer and got it going. Asked them if anything else was needed to be done and he asked me to install AIM so he could talk to me online. I went and downloaded AIM from oldversion.com or whatever it was and got like 640kB/s. At this point I knew it wasn't cached and went and did a speed test. The results.... 7400kb/s from ATL... run it again 8300kb/s from TX. At this point im going "WTF". Still not thinking its correct I go to a different speed test (tested on the speakeasy website). Tried again on dslreports same results 7000ish. I'm like ok screw this, and go download SP2 from M$.com just to test it, because whatever you get from M$.com is basicly your internet connection speed . Well what do I get... 750ish kB/s.
I get home and check my inet speed and what do I get....
Your download speed : 120.2 KB/sec
run it again...
Your download speed : 132.2 KB/sec</B>.
At this point im pissed as they live not a 5 min walk... in fact you can see their house if the oak tree wasn't there.
They are getting 700KB/sec and I am getting 140KB/sec if im lucky. This is freaking rediculous. I call the ISP and ask them why there is such a large difference in the speeds of our connections.
The only thing she could could tell me was that "the network is being upgraded and they are putting people the new network as they go". So I ask her how long it would take for me to see the speed increase and she said within the next 6months-1.5 years. I about pissed my pants.
They live not even 2 city blocks from me and I KNOW they are on the same hub as me so I know their cant be to much to take care of between me and the hub. Hell I might just go cut them trees down and stick up a wifi connection.
I know this is maybe a reasonable excuse for the company to put me on the waiting list OVER someone who just moved in but they have been promising this crap for the last 2 years and I have yet to see a SINGLE speed increase for the 6 years I have been with them. Friends move in and they get 7Mb+ the day they move in.... Ive been with the company for 6 years or more and I am hardly getting 1.1Mb...GRRRRRRR /endrant.
Well it starts off a few days ago when I went to go help our friends who just moved in and got the internet hooked up at their house. They asked me to hook up their printer they just got. Being lazy I just grabbed the printer the cable plugged it up to the computer and went to go download the drivers off the internet. I went to the HP website and started to the download (was like a 20Mb file) and turned around to get something out of my CD case and when I looked up it was done. I saw 784kB/s. Said to my self "hummmm they must have already downloaded it for their other printer and it was cached on the computer already. Hooked up the printer and got it going. Asked them if anything else was needed to be done and he asked me to install AIM so he could talk to me online. I went and downloaded AIM from oldversion.com or whatever it was and got like 640kB/s. At this point I knew it wasn't cached and went and did a speed test. The results.... 7400kb/s from ATL... run it again 8300kb/s from TX. At this point im going "WTF". Still not thinking its correct I go to a different speed test (tested on the speakeasy website). Tried again on dslreports same results 7000ish. I'm like ok screw this, and go download SP2 from M$.com just to test it, because whatever you get from M$.com is basicly your internet connection speed . Well what do I get... 750ish kB/s.
I get home and check my inet speed and what do I get....
Your download speed : 120.2 KB/sec
run it again...
Your download speed : 132.2 KB/sec</B>.
At this point im pissed as they live not a 5 min walk... in fact you can see their house if the oak tree wasn't there.
They are getting 700KB/sec and I am getting 140KB/sec if im lucky. This is freaking rediculous. I call the ISP and ask them why there is such a large difference in the speeds of our connections.
The only thing she could could tell me was that "the network is being upgraded and they are putting people the new network as they go". So I ask her how long it would take for me to see the speed increase and she said within the next 6months-1.5 years. I about pissed my pants.
They live not even 2 city blocks from me and I KNOW they are on the same hub as me so I know their cant be to much to take care of between me and the hub. Hell I might just go cut them trees down and stick up a wifi connection.
I know this is maybe a reasonable excuse for the company to put me on the waiting list OVER someone who just moved in but they have been promising this crap for the last 2 years and I have yet to see a SINGLE speed increase for the 6 years I have been with them. Friends move in and they get 7Mb+ the day they move in.... Ive been with the company for 6 years or more and I am hardly getting 1.1Mb...GRRRRRRR /endrant.