Left ear in HD590s dead?

finalgt

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 3, 2002
Messages
5,506
Well, my HD590s have been dead for awhile, but it appears it'll take me a little bit longer than I first expected to get a new pair. So, since these things are already basically unusable, anybody know what might cause the left driver in a pair of Senns to stop working, and if I can fix it?
 
Bad connection, jack, or wire, if you're lucky. Bad driver or cable, if not.

A bad driver or cable would need replaced, that's $$. A bad connection could be resoldered and a bad wire on the inside could be replaced and a bad jack could possibly be bent to contact the plug if it's just loose on that channel, though if the jack is really borked, you have to get a new one.

An ohm meter should tell you if the wires inside the cable or inside the phones are bad.
 
I think I've found the cause of it. Looking at the drivers, there's a red wire that wraps around in a circle on the inside of the driver, and then the wire comes out and attaches to these little circular metal holes...on the right driver anyway. The wire is detached in both places on the left driver. I've tried "ghetto-taching" it by holding the wires to the metal contact, but there's still no sound.

Is there actually a place to buy replacement drivers?
 
have you considered sending it to sennheiser? it may still be under warranty if i remember correctly, if you bought those in US teh standard 2 year warranty is extended to 5 years
 
Back
Top