Left 4 Dead 2 FoV fix?

{EB}NuTSymPToM{EB}

[H]ard|Gawd
Sorry if this is a repost but I couldn't find anything in searches...

Is there a workaround to the ginormous gun models in this game? I feel like they take up 30% or more of the screen. It really kills the feel for me and I'm sure I'm not alone. I haven't found a way in the menus or console to change the FoV.

I did see on another forum somebody claimed that the FoV was 90 degrees and the issue is that the models are huge. Can anyone confirm that?

Also, if anyone is looking for another coop partner that doesn't suck and communicates well for Advanced or Expert campaign runs add Nutsymptom to your Steam list.

Manipulating the FOV won't change the perspective of the weapon models, but if you want to change it anyway, use fov_desired. Set it to lower than 90, the default.

So the issue is the models and not the FoV?

Are you suggesting that lowering the FoV from default will make the weapons take up *less* screen space? That sounds wrong to me...

I wish the models (especially pistols) were more like the first game.

Your problem is probably with the positioning of the weapon view models. Not sure how easily those coordinates can be changed.

IIRC TF2 has a setting that allows you to change exactly what you're talking about. It's on the last tab I think and is called model viewpoint or view distance or something like that. I wish I could tell you precisely but I'm at work. But yea, if TF2 has this then there should be a similar option or console variable that you can set. Source is source, after all. Good luck.

IIRC TF2 has a setting that allows you to change exactly what you're talking about. It's on the last tab I think and is called model viewpoint or view distance or something like that. I wish I could tell you precisely but I'm at work. But yea, if TF2 has this then there should be a similar option or console variable that you can set. Source is source, after all. Good luck.

That weapon FOV thing was added because a bunch of competitive players complained and I think they even started a petition.

Left 4 Dead 2's models are just big. I actually prefer them to the old models. In the beta Left 4 Dead 2 videos, you can see that they're using the old models for some weapons, and personally I think the new weapons look a whole lot better.

I do agree that the models themselves look much better this time around. That said, I think some of them are a bit too big. I can understand a rifle being held in the shoulder but it looks like you're practically holding the magnum to your face.

Really, if the magnum was shrunk a bit and moved further forward I could live. As it is it's my favorite secondary weapon so it bugs me that I'm forced to spend so much time staring at it.

If it's really that bothersome I would think its because of the resolution you're playing at being too low for the size of screen you're on

Your problem is probably with the positioning of the weapon view models. Not sure how easily those coordinates can be changed.

I remember it begin easy when I used to do CSS modding. They are called weapon orgins and I know there are a few tutorials for changing them with CSS. Not sure if it would work on L4D2, but it should.

If it's really that bothersome I would think its because of the resolution you're playing at being too low for the size of screen you're on

I'm playing at my monitors native 1680x1050.

I don't know if L4D2 lets you use custom models. If they do I'll just look around for a decent Magnum remake. It's the only gun that is truely terrible looking although the other pistols could stand to be moved further out as well. I've gotten used to the rifles/shotguns and it's not so bad. They almost make the game a bit more frantic because I can't see as much of the screen...almost a Dead Space effect.

Are you suggesting that lowering the FoV from default will make the weapons take up *less* screen space? That sounds wrong to me...
Changing the FOV will have no effect on the perspective of the weapon models. In some games, they're linked in a way such that the FOV controls how close the weapon models appear. In Source games, the weapon models are "overlaid", in a sense.

I could be wrong, though, since I haven't specifically messed with the setting in L4D2. Did you try fiddling with fov_desired?

Resolution doesn't matter here. Even aspect ratio doesn't matter. The weapon models will always have the same perspective and orientation.

I don't know if L4D2 lets you use custom models.
I don't think view weapon models (v_wep) conflict with VAC in any Source games.

Sorry if this is a repost but I couldn't find anything in searches...

Is there a workaround to the ginormous gun models in this game? I feel like they take up 30% or more of the screen. It really kills the feel for me and I'm sure I'm not alone. I haven't found a way in the menus or console to change the FoV.

I did see on another forum somebody claimed that the FoV was 90 degrees and the issue is that the models are huge. Can anyone confirm that?

Also, if anyone is looking for another coop partner that doesn't suck and communicates well for Advanced or Expert campaign runs add Nutsymptom to your Steam list.

You can add me, (took out my name don't want random people adding) send me a pm

I play a lot of versus too.

<--- still something to prove, real deal

Back