• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Left 4 Dead (1) appropriately named

RubbingAlcoholic

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 5, 2009
Messages
455
When Valve released L4D1, everyone knew in their hearts that it was a bit thin on content, but we bought it knowing Valve's reputation for supporting their games after release and adding new content. When the majority of the new content was supporting VS mode in stages that should have had it in the first place, and one new campaign released just to soothe the L4D2 fuhrer, it became clear that they were more or less abandoning the title.

I'm sure a lot of people are playing L4D2 and having fun (it's great I'm sure, no questions there), but Valve's tactics in releasing this as a stand-alone title and not the DLC it should have rightfully been really hurts my opinion of them. This is the type of crap I'd expect from Activision. Yearly release nonsense.

I'm not going to trust Valve so blindly in the future, as far as post-release support goes.
 
beating_a_dead_horse.jpg
 
Gabe is pushing games as a service and with something like TF2 where the updates are more frequent that's actually not a bad idea. We buy valve games knowing the content of all their major releases over the last few years is under par, but it gets reasonable support.

Since no legal agreement to provide additional content is ever made we put our trust in valve to support their games, they simply didn't to the degree they promised with L4D so thats broken their trust with me personally as a gamer, so unless they're prepared to put themselves into a position of being legally responsible for X amount of content (kind of like Telltale providing monthly updates to their adventure games) OR they're willing to provide a reasonable (full) amount of content up front I simply wont buy their future titles.

Its a shame because I liked games as a service, i thought it was doing well, for me they ruined it.
 
I think people expected way too much. Also, we don't know that they aren't releasing any more new content. We also don't know what kind of work they are doing to bring the 2 games together, I remember them saying they had some theories on how to combine the communities and game play. I say wait and see. The game was still worth the money in my opinion.
 
Its more then just added weapons and levels and game types. The graphics have been bumped up quite a bit in my opinion, I'm not sure if they if they just re-render stuff, or using a new engine, but to my eyes, it looks a hell of alot better. Sound is much better too.

This is just like comparing CoD4 with CoD4-2, just with new weapons, similar maps and campaign and new characters.
 
I don't mind at all I bought L4D when it was 50% off and for the amount of hours I got out of it, I got my moneys worth.
 
In before the threadlock. L4D was straight forward on rails boring. passed on L4D2. I'll check back in 6 months and see how its doing.
 
I don't mind at all I bought L4D when it was 50% off and for the amount of hours I got out of it, I got my moneys worth.

Funny enough, I bought L4D at full retail and for the amount of hours I got from it, I also got my moneys worth. Though I seem to be in the minority, if the complaints and petitions are any indication.
 
L4D1 got old pretty quickly for me. I'm pretty sure L4D2 will do the same so I will not be getting it anytime soon if at all.
 
Fuck... not this AGAIN. Look I was skeptical at first too, but after playing the demo I found the game to be quite refreshing and fun. It truly is a sequel to the first one.
 
L4D3 soon. Keep eyes peeled!

L4D2163 will take place on mars with alien zombies.....release date to be announced.
 
is L4D2 worth $29.99? If it is i will be buying from gamestop on BF
 
I think a lot of people forget that these games belong to the developers, not the players. It is their property, and they can and should do whatever they want with it. If you don't like it, nobody is forcing you to buy it. But that doesn't mean that you have the right to tell them what to do, or what they should have done.
 
L4D3 soon. Keep eyes peeled!

L4D2163 will take place on mars with alien zombies.....release date to be announced.

Should be on the shelves by Xmas 2010. I hear its going to have two asians, 1 new special zombie that changes color in water, 3 new maps, and umm... updated graphics. By that they mean new doors on some buildings.
 
More reasons to play TF2! We actually get additional content (for free), hats (for free), community map additions (for free).
 
Should be on the shelves by Xmas 2010. I hear its going to have two asians, 1 new special zombie that changes color in water, 3 new maps, and umm... updated graphics. By that they mean new doors on some buildings.

Damn....3 new maps,zombies that change colors in water, and doors on buildings, I am definitely in for $50!
 
Should be on the shelves by Xmas 2010. I hear its going to have two asians, 1 new special zombie that changes color in water, 3 new maps, and umm... updated graphics. By that they mean new doors on some buildings.

You forgot the new AI director v3 that dynamically changes the trash and clutter in the map, so it's different each time! :D
 
Its funny, for the crap Valve is getting with Left4Dead 2 its still one of the better sequels I can remember in recent memory. Left 4 Dead got post release service that is VERY uncommon for a game and still people bitch. I understand you 'expected' more but the reality is you still 'got' more than most.
 
I think a lot of people forget that these games belong to the developers, not the players. It is their property, and they can and should do whatever they want with it. If you don't like it, nobody is forcing you to buy it. But that doesn't mean that you have the right to tell them what to do, or what they should have done.

No, nobody is forcing me to buy it. And you won't see L4D2 in my games list any time soon. All I'm saying is that I'm disappointed that Valve played their cards this way.
 
seriously, L4D2 is an entirely new game.

obviously the core gameplay is roughly the same, but...

- 5 campaigns, all are much more detailed / lengthy / grand in scale than L4D1.
- Overhauled balance. Weapons got tweaked, weapons got added, infected were tweaked, infected were added.
- Lots of little tweaks to all sorts of shit.
- Obvious engine upgrades that also work with the gameplay, like the weather in Heavy Rain.
- Basically everything is refined in a glorious way

There is a ton of content, much more than was ever in L4D1. If you liked the first, then this is pretty easily a full fledged game worth picking up... I paid $33.75 for my copy which is pretty fucking fantastic for what you get.

This game already has more content alone than it's prequel ever did, anyone who thinks they could have just added all this stuff to L4D1 is mentally retarded.
 
seriously, L4D2 is an entirely new game.
you all fail to get the point. i'm not disputing that L4D2 is a great game. i'm saying that it's the game L4D1 should have been instead of the incomplete HL2 mod Valve released for $50.
 
Seriously can we get over this. You got free content with L4D(1). These developers have families to feed and bills to pay, They shouldnt have to give you everything they make for free. L4D(2) has some glitches and issues but overall is a way more enjoyable game. If you didnt ignore it, but for those of us who do enjoy these title, dont try and rain on our infected parade.
 
you all fail to get the point. i'm not disputing that L4D2 is a great game. i'm saying that it's the game L4D1 should have been instead of the incomplete HL2 mod Valve released for $50.

i have over 200+ hours of L4D1 played, probably 90% versus and while there was quirks and incomplete shit at launch, it's mostly been ironed out to what you'd expect. they've already provided extra, free content for it as well.

but do you honestly expect them to NOT have made revisions when they got the chance? they obviously listened and made adjustments accordingly in L4D2, so what is the problem here?

comparing L4D1 to a HL2 mod is idiotic to say the least.
 
comparing L4D1 to a HL2 mod is idiotic to say the least.

Wasn't L4D going to be a mod before Valve bought it? Kinda like CS/DoD back in the day.

Anyways, I won't be buying L4D2 until Steam has it half off like when I bought the first game.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
- 5 campaigns, all are much more detailed / lengthy / grand in scale than L4D1.
- Overhauled balance. Weapons got tweaked, weapons got added, infected were tweaked, infected were added.
- Lots of little tweaks to all sorts of shit.
- Obvious engine upgrades that also work with the gameplay, like the weather in Heavy Rain.
- Basically everything is refined in a glorious way

Oh sorry I thought you were reading that off back of an Expansion box.:p

Wasn't L4D going to be a mod before Valve bought it? Kinda like CS/DoD back in the day.

Anyways, I won't be buying L4D2 until Steam has it half off like when I bought the first game.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Half-Life(retail)>Counter-strike(mod)>Counter-strike Source(retail)>Counter-strike Source Zombie Panic(Mod)>Left4Dead(retail)>Left4Dead2(retail)

/\
|
|
You what they did there? They beat us to the punch and made a sequel before we could mod their game into something enjoyable. So wait for us to fix/mod all the crappiness out of Left4Dead or you can wait for Left4Dead 3 :Total Copout which should be out in February.
 
Last edited:
L4D2 is an awesome sequel. How about just enjoying the game? Considering the amount of time I logged in L4D and the amount of fun with it, I'd consider my money well spent. I'm having just as much fun with L4D2.. maybe even more fun. My money is well spent.
 
Never played the first one, but my roommate had it and didn't like it so... never bought it myself. I may get the L4D2 if it is a great game, we'll see.
 
Back
Top