Leela Chess Zero - Neural Network AI

Greppo

n00b
Any chess enthusiasts contributing to this project? Seems that you need an RTX series GPU to be truly effective in contributing due to tensor cores.

http://lczero.org/

Wikipedia -

"Leela Chess Zero (abbreviated as LCZero, lc0) is a free, open-source, and neural network-based chess engine and distributed computing project. Development has been spearheaded by programmer Gary Linscott, who is also a developer for the Stockfish chess engine. Leela Chess Zero was adapted from the Leela Zero Go engine,[1] which in turn was based on Google's AlphaGo Zero project,[2] also to verify the methods in the AlphaZero paper as applied to the game of chess.

Like Leela Zero and AlphaGo Zero, Leela Chess Zero starts with no intrinsic chess-specific knowledge other than the basic rules of the game.[1] Leela Chess Zero then learns how to play chess by reinforcement learning from repeated self-play, using a distributed computing network coordinated at the Leela Chess Zero website.

As of August 2019, Leela Chess Zero had played over 232 million games against itself,[3] and is capable of play at a level that is comparable with Stockfish, the leading conventional chess program.[4][5]"

Last edited:
I had not heard of this until now. Doubt we have a lot that are contributing yet. Do they have any kind of scoring mechanism where people can compete based on their contributions?

Do you know if they export stats? AKA so stats sites can add them to their rankings?

Do you know if they export stats? AKA so stats sites can add them to their rankings?

There is a spreadsheet that periodically scrapes the main site for user stats using the IMPORTFROMWEB addon

You could probably just copy that and use the addon to rescrape whenever you need.

Last edited:
Well, I don't plan on collecting the stats. Just figured it would be good if it could be added to https://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=index#nonboinc_projects
bok runs that site and has several DC projects on it. I may send him an email to see if he is interested in adding it.

Gotcha.

Well it shouldnt be too hard to pull stats from that spreadsheet or website directly, depending on what format free-dc normally likes. Im sure the leela site admin would be willing to make any changes necessary to help DC'ers too.

Back