• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

LED vs CCFL

HDMI
Some monitors use different circuit for HDMI decoding and graphics card see this as "HDTV" wchich can lead to all different kind of problems like need for 16-235 levels (those will produce banding even if set properly).

I don't know if this is true, but I do know a lot of people would suspect this as the culprit and would be wrong in doing so. If you've got an AMD GPU, by default, it will send 0-255 over HDMI. For Nvidia, it "assumes" that if you send audio over HDMI, then you're on an HDTV. So, HDMI + audio = 16-235, while HDMI sans audio = 0-255. It's annoying as hell and I'm still trying to troubleshoot it.

Due to another bug, any custom resolution automatically sends 0-255, so I used to be able to just do a custom resolution for my native resolution. Now, however, NV doesn't allow you to do that. They basically removed the "fix" that people like me used.
 
I feel I am forced to use 16-235, which is just like someone is willing to make it a new pc standard. I am very annoyed by this.
I can assume that HDMI is causing issues, when I can see a CLEAR difference on my S24A350H between VGA and HDMI. And the difference is mainly on the very light colors, as all whites receive an extra amount of light, just like you would be forced to only use hdmi for tv.
I can only assume from here that I will only be able to use my monitor with VGA when connected to pc.
The fix with registry adding works to allow for 0-255 but the colors look very strange. I can assume that the main cause of the fact that I can;t use my monitor with hdmi, is cause of this problem, combined with poor color strength, and with overly bright whites.
When I use my monitor on 16-235 colors look right, but, everything is so foggy, that the poor color strength issue becomes even more obvious, creating even less contrast, and I need to raise the brightness even more to be able to read properly.

One question though, is it correct to say that monitors have a different "level of whiteness at 120 cd/sqm"? This might be what bothers me the most, and the fact that I can;t use anything higher then 120 cd/sqm makes it very hard for me to read. Not to mention that the coating is only making it worse.
 
I feel I am forced to use 16-235, which is just like someone is willing to make it a new pc standard. I am very annoyed by this.
I can assume that HDMI is causing issues, when I can see a CLEAR difference on my S24A350H between VGA and HDMI. And the difference is mainly on the very light colors, as all whites receive an extra amount of light, just like you would be forced to only use hdmi for tv.
I can only assume from here that I will only be able to use my monitor with VGA when connected to pc.
The fix with registry adding works to allow for 0-255 but the colors look very strange. I can assume that the main cause of the fact that I can;t use my monitor with hdmi, is cause of this problem, combined with poor color strength, and with overly bright whites.
When I use my monitor on 16-235 colors look right, but, everything is so foggy, that the poor color strength issue becomes even more obvious, creating even less contrast, and I need to raise the brightness even more to be able to read properly.

One question though, is it correct to say that monitors have a different "level of whiteness at 120 cd/sqm"? This might be what bothers me the most, and the fact that I can;t use anything higher then 120 cd/sqm makes it very hard for me to read. Not to mention that the coating is only making it worse.

Are you on an Nvidia card? If so, then both the card and monitor will default to 16-235 over HDMI. You have to manually change both to 0-255. If you leave them at 16-235, you'll have reduced color and increased banding. If you change only one, you'll get a washed out picture or severely crushed blacks. Once you fix the 0-255 issue (or if Nvidia ever fixes their driver), then HDMI = DVI.
 
I understand what you are saying, however, all the fixes I found on the internet DO NOT make DVI to HDMI EXACTLY the same as my MiniHDMI to HDMI. Not to mention the whites sparkling much harder on miniHDMI to HDMI compared to DVI to HDMI. On ASUS there is absolutely no difference at all between connections, so I must assume that is something with the HDMI of the 1920x1080, or of this particular S24A350H. Anyway, Nvidia driver sees my monitor as HDTV, and not as PC.
I more and more start to think that this monitor can only be used over VGA as a PC, and HDMI is only for something else (TV signal over HDMI? I don't get it....)
 
I understand what you are saying, however, all the fixes I found on the internet DO NOT make DVI to HDMI EXACTLY the same as my MiniHDMI to HDMI. Not to mention the whites sparkling much harder on miniHDMI to HDMI compared to DVI to HDMI. On ASUS there is absolutely no difference at all between connections, so I must assume that is something with the HDMI of the 1920x1080, or of this particular S24A350H. Anyway, Nvidia driver sees my monitor as HDTV, and not as PC.
I more and more start to think that this monitor can only be used over VGA as a PC, and HDMI is only for something else (TV signal over HDMI? I don't get it....)

So, you've gone through and edited the Nvidia driver INF file prior to installation? That is the ONLY way to correct color space on an Nvidia card over HDMI. If you haven't done this, then you have not tried "all" fixes.
 
I did what a guy suggested on nvidia forums, that asks me to modify the file nv_disp.inf.

I got the same results by adding a dword value directly in registry after installation on another ocasion, just for the sake of testing.

None of those fixes actually create a correct "PC" resolution for my Samsung Monitor, though they all do allow me change from 16-235 to 0-255.
However, the 0-255 colors that I get with this monitor seems to be wrong, even if is obvious that I do get 0-255.
 
Last edited:
However, the 0-255 colors that I get with this monitor seems to be wrong, even if is obvious that I do get 0-255.

The fix that I'm giving you does not allow you to change between 0-255 and 16-235. It forces 0-255 at all times. The only option in the NV CP that allows you to change the setting is for VIDEO ONLY, it only works when your output is defaulted to 0-255, and it can be overridden by applications.

I'm sorry, but you are doing something wrong. However, it's not your fault. This is a fault on the part of Nvidia for not properly utilizing HDMI. You should not have to do workarounds to get it to work. HDMI as a standard is fine. When the gPU uses it properly (see AMD), the output is pixel for pixel the same as DVI. Nvidia still struggles with it. I'm curious to know if they've got similar issues with DP in their newer cards.
 
I'm sorry, but you are doing something wrong. However, it's not your fault. This is a fault on the part of Nvidia for not properly utilizing HDMI. You should not have to do workarounds to get it to work. HDMI as a standard is fine. When the gPU uses it properly (see AMD), the output is pixel for pixel the same as DVI. Nvidia still struggles with it. I'm curious to know if they've got similar issues with DP in their newer cards.

It's not just nv. intel hd3000 had this same issue. all the 5-series and the few 6-series amd I tested also had this issue. The newer 7-series might be ok, I havent had a chance to test those ones.
 
It's not just nv. intel hd3000 had this same issue. all the 5-series and the few 6-series amd I tested also had this issue. The newer 7-series might be ok, I havent had a chance to test those ones.

Not sure on Intel, but AMD put in a (working) toggle between 0-255 and 16-235 for these situations. Nvidia's only toggle only affects video, and only when default output is 0-255 (which it's not over HDMI). Currently, the best way to get it work is the INF mod as it has no drawbacks (other than having to do it with every driver update).

Once you correct this, HDMI and DVI have the same video output.
 
I use PA246 and it is a nice white that shines through. Blacks are also good but .... it is IPS and there is a glow that IPS has. There is no way around it. The colors are absolutely mind blowing. It completely demolishes a TN in color going to P-IPS.

Its all in the eye of the beholder. There is no way to really help you as it is your eyes that distinguish the difference in light reception from other people. I do not like LED white lights because it looks fake. I would love to have halogen bulbs as my backlgiht but that aint happening because my LCD would be 400C in temp lol
 
Back
Top