LED vs CCFL

icor1031

[H]ard|Gawd
Before you flame me, I did search. Maybe I used the wrong terms.

What are the pros and cons of LED vs CCFL???

For starters, its like asking a question about gasoline vs diesel engines. Usually the gas engine can get more RPMs and thus horsepower and the diesel more torque and a fuel w/ greater caloric density, but there are high quality diesels that blow away the top end horsepower of some crappy gas engines and gas engines w/ better fuel economy and low end than some diesels. The same applies to LED vs CCFL, difference in quality of specific models.

It also depends on what type of LED we are talking about.

There are full array LEDs, edge lit LEDs, and then CCFL.

The thinnest are edge-lit LEDs, and these come in two flavors as well, w/ the local dimming (forget the exact term they use) being the best. The next thinnest but best local dimming since you can individually control the LEDs are in the full array, but obviously more LEDs = more cost and some increase in power use. Then there are CCFL which are a series of tubes (just like the internets, lol) behind the screen, and the downside is increased thickness and power usage, and usually you don't get quite as bright of whites as you can w/ LED.

Nothing. It's light.

People claim LED brighter but that depends on number of CCFLs or LEDs Toughbooks maintain 1000 nits with both.
People say LED is green. Ditto.
People say LEDs last longer, not red.

I could go with either, panel tests are far more important to me.

The dominant type of LED backlight is the use of simple white LED strips (WLED) around the edge of the screen in place of CCFL bulbs. The main advantages of this type of backlight is that the end-product is more energy efficient, produces less heat and can be made thinner. In terms of the downsides - they depend on your intended use and how well the manufacturer has 'set up' the panel. The light from a WLED backlight has a slight blue tint which can affect colour balance if the panel if poorly optimised for this. Another consideration is that CCFL bulbs (WCG-CCFL) can emit a greater wavelength spectrum than white LEDs and so they can have broader colour gamuts. The broadest colour gamuts on LCD monitors are currently achieved using RGB triads which can be independently controlled to alter luminance and colour across the screen. You can read more about all of this here and here.

I read the TFTcentral article and found this funny

Power Consumption - This is perhaps one of the key advantages of LED backlighting in modern times. The technology uses less energy and so you can save money and energy and reduce your carbon footprint at the same time. For example, the non-LED version of the 24" BenQ G2420HBD consumer display has a 49W consumption compared to the 24W of the LED version of the same display (G2420HBDL). The BenQ LED monitors are typically marketed as offering a reduced power consumption of 36% in comparison to traditional monitors. Other manufacturers quote similar figures, with 35 - 40% energy saving being common. You will also see various ratings and 'certificates' applied to these screens such as Energy Star and the likes

Only problem is this is apples and oranges since the CCFL version is brighter.
http://www.all-monitors.com/monitors/manufacturers/pos/benq_g2420hdbl
http://www.all-monitors.com/monitors/manufacturers/pos/benq_g2420hdb

I have yet to see one independent study show LED saves power.

And if anyone is interested in power stay away from IPS.:p

Less heat, at least on my screens.
I can feel heat above my 20" and 19" LG LCD monitors after being on now for 20 minutes.
My 23" HP LED LCD doesn't seem to output any heat. I think it only consumes 19 watts.

If LEDs can be dimmed better than CCFL then thats a huge advantage, and really the only advantage worth mentioning for desktop use in my opinion.

Since all LCDs come with backlights designed for solariums you have to turn them down a lot for them to be usable, and since thats a problem with CCFLs you will loose all details in dark images. I don't know but if LED monitors can be dimmed more then thats a huge advantage.

For laptops the increased efficiency is the killer feature which also often results in a brighter display with better or the same battery-life as a CCFL equivalent.

It's simple, there is NO advantage with traditional LEDs (those white strips) other than power usage. In fact, because manufacturers have yet to straighten out the kinks with LED technology, there is a far greater chance of displays with LEDs to be plagued with clouding and backlight bleed issues.

The only clear cut advantage LED has to CCFL is when local dimming LEDs are used. This is when each pixel has LEDs to it, and each one can turn off at will, creating a truly black 'black'. As far as I'm aware, this type of tech is very expensive and so is only used in the most high end LCD TVs.

For all intents and purposes, you're going to want to stick with CCFL to try and avoid the backlight bleed issues.

Here in the lovely UK manufacturers have to be very open and honest about any stated energy savings that can be made for a particular monitor - I forget which manufacturer exactly, but one got in trouble for stating some ridiculous "60% reduction in energy" by comparing the standard mode of one monitor to the ECO mode of another. You can read review upon review of LED backlit monitors vs. CCFL backlit monitors of a similar size and panel type and can clearly see that at a given luminance the LED monitors consume less power. The difference is not massive but is significant nonetheless. Well it seems significant - I haven't done an ANOVA analysis or any T tests to show this but I've reviewed dozens of monitors and have tested the power consumption in watts and clear patterns emerge.

You are quite right though - panel type does have a significant difference on power consumption and IPS monitors do tend to be quite hungry for juice. The EA231WMi was considered quite an energy-efficient IPS monitor (E-IPS monitors tend to use cheaper low-power backlights as the panel apparently lets more light through). Power consumption after calibrated to 120 cd/m2 is around 30W (http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1265977876). Compare this to the around 21W, at the same 120 cd/m2 setting, for the NEC232WMi (which is pretty similar aside from the LED backlight - http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/nec_ea232wmi.htm).

It depends what you compare that high end $2500 LED HP uses 90W while NECs 90 series 24" uses 75W both IPS and NEC gets brighter. Like I say jury is still out. CCFL is not an incandescent bulb either. It's a cold cathode a more advanced version of what we are replacing all our household bulbs with.

I want proof. Same lumens/power. Until then this is more marketing to sell more monitors IMO. Not the first time marketeers have done stuff like this, especially in displays.:p

Last edited:
It's simple, there is NO advantage with traditional LEDs (those white strips) other than power usage.
A comparison of optional LED backlights on Dell laptops shows it is often more than that, and for laptops, LED is the way to go hands down IMO.

For desktops at current, yes, I would stick w/ CCFL.

As local dimming technology matures, on both full array and edge-lit, its likely to win over on both fronts.

Well that's all part of it - the CCFL bulbs waste a lot more energy as heat and you really can 'feel' the different. You don't even have to look at monitors to understand differences - look at LED vs. incandescent lighting, for example. Same issues - LED gives more lumens per watt and produces less heat.

You say this like it' a fact. Proof please.

One more thing is that LED backlit LCDs warm up immediately, while CCFL take anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes to get up to full brightness if it has been off for a while. I have a 27" iMac with LED backlighting (which I also use as an external display) and an NEC2490WUXi which is CCFL, both plugged into the same desktop PC. When I wake from sleep, the difference is super super obvious.

Anyway, one more difference to take into account.

Don't be so stubborn. The proof is out there in the measurements people have made in various reviews and I've already linked you to some credible sources that give a suitable comparison (very similar screen apart from the backlight, at a similar luminance). It isn't just some giant conspiracy and there are solid reasons why LEDs are the current preferred choice of lighting for everything from traffic lights, to car lights to monitors and portable devices.

Here's some reading for you:

http://www.instrumentsystems.com/fi...ads/Products/LpR10_Instrument_Systems_web.pdf

http://www.eetimes.com/design/autom...riving-LEDs-versus-CCFLs-for-LCD-backlighting

And if you don't trust people like me who have had first hand experience and measured the power consumption of a huge range of calibrated displays then I'm afraid you'll need to waste some of your own precious time digging out some material.

I can show you just as many LEDs using more power than CCFLs, I gave you one example above.

What we need is real testing w/o monitor in the way, just the lights. And with real numbers because every expert you find I can also find another saying opposite.

e.g.
Power

Mr. Mossberg gives the impression that by their very nature LEDs save power. Not true, according to our expert. Alfred pointed out that "At present LEDs generally draw more power and produce more heat than CCFL designs." Heat is a problem for all personal computers. It's more of an issue with laptops and still more important in ultraportable models where everything is so closely packed together.

So what is the basis for the claimed power savings? It turns out that the number of LEDs in a screen varies. If the number is low enough, less power is needed and less heat is generated. With a small enough number of LEDs, Alfred said you can "probably save power compared with a CCFL design. This can be used to give either a longer battery life, or to reduce the battery weight and thus get a lighter weight design overall."

I couldn't find anything from Sony, Toshiba or Apple about the number of LEDs in their screens. But in describing the M1330 Dell says "Our optional LED display uses 32 tiny, white LEDs ..." According to Alfred, "32 is a relatively high number for a small screen. Some large HDTV panels using high brightness LEDs could use that count or less for a panel with 8 or 10 times the surface area."

So, if the relatively high number of LEDs means increased heat and no power savings, why does Dell use so many? Alfred explains that LED screens "need a sophisticated lightpipe and diffuser to spread the light evenly behind the LCD panel. The fewer LEDs you use, the more difficult the diffusion process becomes." .

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13554_3-9748301-33.html

It has nothing to do with being stubborn I like truth and fact and don't lap up marketing as fact.

I already did HP DreamColor LP2480zx 90W vs NEC 2940wuxi2 75W

And It is important to measure lights alone because power supplies are different even in the same monitor because LED operate at different voltage.

I long for the day that Red-Green-Blue LEDs are an affordable and widely implemented technology. I've been lucky enough to experience an RGB LED backlight on my laptop, and it really is the best light source for LCDs, no question. You get the efficiency, thinness, and lack of waste heat of LEDs, combined with a vibrance and color gamut superior to CCFLs (which is really their only strength in my eyes.)

The more new screens I see the more obvious it is that LED has even bigger problems with backlight bleed than the CCFL monitors. Very good examples are the new IPS displays from LG and Dell U2412M. All of them have more noticable back light bleed than their CCFL-predecessors.

The worst thing is that probably all monitors soon will be LED. They are thin and looks nice in the store so people buy it. :(

the problem is that these LED screens that "save" power use 1 LED or a small strip of LEDs usually in a corner. the color accuracy and brightness variance isnt up to par with good CCFL screens.

the "real" LED screens use whats called matrix backlighting setup within a grid and generally arent any more powersaving than CCFLs if not less so.

check out how many high end graphics professional monitors have LED backlights..yeah..there you go.

For desktop usage, it doesn't really matter. Generally CCFLs are used in better screens since they are easier and cheaper to give a more uniform backlight with. Both kinds are plenty bright (more than you need) and look good. Only reason to specifically look for an LED backlit screen for desktop is if you need a really thin one for some reason, you can generally find thinner LED screens.

Now in laptops, LED is the way to go. Reason is more or less all laptop screens are edge lit, but the LED edge lighting uses less power, so you get better battery life. They aren't any better quality wise, they just hit the battery less, and also let the laptop be a bit thinner.

For HDTVs it is a lot more variable. LEDs can offer some new features like local dimming which some like and some hate (you can always turn it off) and they also warm up almost immediately, which can take some time for big LCD TVs with CCFLs. They tend to carry a non-trivial price premium though, so there can be a reason to want to get a CCFL screen and save some cash.

The biggest advantage that LED has over CCFL in desktop monitors is that they are cheaper for the manufacturer. A lot cheaper. This is significant because the backlight is the most expensive part in an LCD monitor. The result is that instead of showing up in high-end monitors with high-quality parts and quality control, you have them coming in mostly in the bottom-end monitors, where cost-cutting instead of quality is the name of the game.

Back