LED lighting, diagram check.

daphatgrant

Fi-yah!
Staff member
Hey [H], a thread in general mayhem got me thinking about adding some lights to my case. I just finished moving over to the Corsair air 540 and figured why not.

Before I start, I'll note I also want to add footwell lighting to my car so I'm going to be grabbing some extra supplies and a single roll of led's, which is why I'm not just getting a pre-built case lighting kit.

I just want to get a double check on the wiring diagram for the PC lighting before I click buy.

All 12V
PC LEDs.png

Last edited:
Looks right to me.. yellow should always the 12v lead on that sata connector... Assuming the led strip leads are color coded properly.

I stumped 107 people ehh? :p
Those strips are hard to screw up. If you cross the wires it won't light up, no harm. If you get it right it will light.
You may want to add a 0-1k potentiometer to adjust brightness. Polarity on the pot won't matter. The pot can go inline (series connect) with either the ground or the power. Also be sure your strips are rated for 12v.

Looks fine. I did the same in my case, minus the switch and sata power connector, used a molex connector.

IMG_0829.JPG

I did change to a Corsair RGB kit so I could change the color and brightness of the case lighting,

IMG_1695.JPG

I stuck a 5v LED strip under the case to light up the bottom. it was a USB powered strip with an RF controller, but the module failed, so I just soldered the power leads on the USB cable to the Blue LED tab and plugged it into a USB power brick.

I also put some extra strip from my main kit into that Intel chassis on the right, just stuck it along the frame inside the door.

IMG_2215.JPG

Looks good! I've got the smaller version of your case, Air 540.
740 and 540 are roughly the same size. I have the 540 as well, it's posted above with the dual processors.

I had my 4790k setup in the 540 a couple of years ago,
IMG_0006.JPG

Back